I was on the 14th floor for Hilton Honors guests. I had a king bed room. The hotel appeared a little older, and the décor was not very updated. The room was generally ok and functional. The bathroom was small, but there was good closet space.
The odd issue that occurred for me was that I came on September 15. There was no heat in the room, yet the high temperature in NY was only in the 60s. My room was 69 degrees. I called the front desk and they stated that they were between seasons so the room had no heat. They were nice enough to bring a space heater into my room. This worked.
The room was actually very quiet for being in NYC. I could not avoid hearing the fire engines, but the general street noise was fairly quiet. The room had good shading to stay dark at night.
The shower was nice and the water was warm. In most hotels, the water from the shower gets on the floor, but this hotel had a nice curtain to keep the water in the shower.
The bed was comfortable (to normal Hilton standards). I liked the smaller pillows (many of them).
The ice machine had no ice, but there was a vending machine to buy drinks ($2.50 for a 20 oz. drink).
The lobby was very crowded (and small) and there seemed to be a lot of visitors sitting around. It did not look like the kind of place to hang out for very long. The elevators were fairly good (I read a review that complained, but I thought that they were good). I only had one trip where the elevator stopped at nearly every floor on the way down to take on new passengers.
The staff was nice and helpful. The NY code is to tip well. If you do, you will be treated extra well (this is my own personal thing, and many might do things differently). One staff member found an umbrella for me when the hotel ran out. That was nice of him. The other staff member set up my trip to the airport. I liked the staff. They were helpful, and they showed that they cared.
Overall, the hotel was functional. It is not upscale, but I was only there for one day. My room cost over $500 for the night, but this is NYC. The room did the job, and the negative was balanced by the positive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan New York City is a modern, landmark hotel conveniently located on Lexington Avenue at 51st Street, in the heart of Midtown’s luxurious East Side. The contemporary hotel recently completed a $25 million dollar revitalization project which included all-new guestrooms, suites and meeting space. With it’s ideal Midtown location, the hotel is steps from fashionable Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue shopping, Bloomingdales, the United Nations and many upscale boutiques. Times Square, Broadway theaters, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park, St. Patrick’s Cathedral and The Museum of Modern Art are all within walking distance. Grand Central Terminal and all major subway lines are just a few blocks from the hotel. Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and Port Authority Bus Terminal are accessible via quick taxi ride and the hotel is convenient to all (3) area airports.Each of the hotel’s 764 brand-new guestrooms (including 22 suites) features all-new carpeting, furniture and wall treatments plus brand-new bathrooms. Modern in-room amenities include high-speed Internet access, Sweet Dreams by Doubletree Sleep Experience, 37-inch flat-screen television, MP3 connectivity and brand-new work desk with ergonomic chair. Onsite hotel amenities include a newly renovated lobby with spacious seating area, trendy Met Bar lobby lounge, Met Grill (open for breakfast), room service, complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center, complimentary 24-hour business center, Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk, gift shop, salon and barber shop – all onsite. The hotel has 14,000 square feet of brand-new event space. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self & valet parking is available. The hotel allows pets, with a $50 pet surcharge per stay (under 60 lbs). 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Tingo, Otel, Travelocity, Priceline, HostelBookers, getaroom.com, Agoda, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree New York City
- New York City Doubletree
- Doubletree Metropolitan New York
- Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel New York City