“Far from being the best one” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Room rates from $199!
Ranked #158 of 458 Hotels in New York City
France
“Far from being the best one”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

THE BREAKFAST is horrible !
It was said to be the best in NYC, but from what I could see it's a shame to serve this kind of dishes. I received a pancake covered with a salty caramel sauce with peanuts and recovered with maple syrop and fruits, on the side, a cup of salty butter... originality ? Trust me that's an horrible dish ! The place was very, very "snobish" and the staff terrible...
For the hotel, I like the design (flat TV and modern bedrooms, but very samll room) but staff people are unpleasant and not polite. The price was very high and really to high for the general quality !

• Liked — design
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid breakfast. Good hamburger and very good french rest.
  • Stayed October 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Indonesian first
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

We were booked for 3 nights at Le Parker Meridien, but left the morning after the first night. We arrived to find a so-so, tiny room with a horrible bathroom... there was plaster FALLING OFF the ceiling, which was also covered in black mold spots. The shower reeked of mold and the drain also didn't work correctly, so taking a shower was like swimming. We decided to deal with it for the night as we had an event to go to, but that night the bed was extremely uncomfortable and the temperature in the room was unbearable.

So, first thing in the morning, I called down to ask for a different room. Her first reaction was not, "oh I'm so sorry, can you explain?" She said, "why didn't you say something to us yestereday?" She then haughtily told me that they would arrange for a new room and that we could leave our bags with a bellman until later, when they would get us a new room. She also lectured me for complaining about the AC and said that it's controlled by the entire building, not the room. BUT THERE IS A BRAND NEW DIGITAL THERMASTAT RIGHT ON THE ROOM WALL!!

Well, with that attitude combined with the mold all over the bathroom, we decided to LEAVE. We got on the Internet, found another hotel (which actually cost us more), booked it and BOLTED.

DO NOT STAY THERE... THEY ARE VERY, VERY RUDE AND WILL NOT ACCOMODATE YOU.

• Liked — LEAVING
  • Disliked — RUDE STAFF
  • Tips/Secrets — DON'T GO THERE
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Durham, North Carolina, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

Terrible place! Paper-thin walls, the whole hotel stank of fast food, the staff were obnoxious and crass. Really really unpleasant environment. I will never go back.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — The attitude of the staff, and the smell
  • Tips/Secrets — NY has many great hotels - don't make the mistake of staying here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

It was really hot in NYC last week. My boyfriend and I decided to treat ourselves to a weekend at a hotel with a pool. We stayed in a Tower Room with a park view on the 29th floor. The room and bathroom are good size. The linens are great. Bathroom amenities are great. They are also very dog friendly...which I appreciate.

Friday night we noticed the air conditioning was not working all that great. We asked for it to be looked at the next morning and it was. The engineer explained that it is just their system. There is one vent on the desk near the window providing air for the whole room. He offered to have a fan sent up. The fan did help considerably. The temp did make the room a bit uncomfortable at times and when we were paying almost $300/night to "cool off" from the week...in a city where we live...it was a bit disappointing.

We did take advantage of the hotel roof deck and pool. The deck was not crowded, but the pool was rather crowded with families. The pool attendants explained that this is the norm during the weekend. It was still quite pleasant. The view from the deck is really one of those NYC sites you should take in at least once in your life. It was very nice up there.

We checked the Hamburger joint behind the front desk on Saturday afternoon and were pleased to find it not crowded. We returned for Sunday dinner and had very little wait time. I thought the food was very good and very reasonably priced. We had 2 hamburgers, fries and a shake for under $20.

The price of the internet is a little high ($16/day) and there is no wireless...but they were quick to provide an internet cable. It seems so old-school to have to bring those along these days.

Everyone at the front desk was pleasant. The concierge was helpful and you can't beat the location and the view.

Stayed August 2006
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

I've been staying in hotels in NY for twenty five years, in everything from downtown flop-houses to the Intercontinental and usually I know pretty much what I'm going to get. This hotel promises much: the web-site is classy, the foyer is classy and the location is pretty good. The cartoons playing in the elevators are cute, but I suspect that they're only a device to get you to look into the security cameras that are located next to the monitors.

The corridors are trendily dark, which conveniently masks the state of the carpets and walls - not very nice on my floor.

Then we get to the room: if you want a view of anything other than another building, you need to make sure that you are well above the 22nd floor. The ludicrous revolving pillar that houses the huge, but dreadful quality TV (the web-site says 'stole 'em from Times Square' which sort of makes sense as the Times Square AV stores mostlly sell out of date, overpriced rubbish) and other entertainment items takes up a massive part of the room. Mine had a mess of cables and the cable TV termination box literally hanging out of the back. The heavily-alarmed 'don't use this as a fridge or even look at it funny if you don't want to be charged' mini-bar takes up even more space. Got clothes? Well, there's a shelf and some hangars behind a curtain and a couple of drawers over the other side of the room. If you want an actual fridge, housekeeping may be able to provide you with one for an extra $30. The bathroom was showing signs of neglect and the enormous circular mirror is rendered useless by the fact that it mists up at the slightest hint of steam - they'll sell you one for your own home at $300, though. In fact, in your room, you'll find a booklet that'll tell how much you can spend on bathrobes, towels, shot-glasses and other branded tat, but nothing that'll tell you how much a phone call from your room will cost. There's adequate desk space, although the (broken) Herman Miller chair in my room wouldn't fit under the desk unless I lowered it to a height that would suit a midget. If you want to use internet access in your room, prepare to shell out another $18 a day, or $8 if you go wireless in the foyer.

Breakfast in is ridiculously expensive - Granola, egg and bacon, orange juice and coffee witll set you back around $40 - and not very good. Sadly, the Cosmic Cafe which would have been an easy alternative choice when it was at at Columbus Circle, has relocated to 888 8th Ave., a ten mnute walk away. (But still worth the walk - you can have much the same meal there for a quarter the price and the service is better.) There are a couple of local alternatives and two Starbucks within easy reach.

The staff, when you can get their attention, are polite, but hardly welcoming. The maids were polite and the room was reasonbly clean, but as an experiment, I left a torn part of a luggage label on the floor of my room next to my bed. It stayed there for the entire ten days that I was in the hotel. I don't think vacuuming comes into the room-cleaning remit too much.

One final thing - the room key-cards are twice the length of a credit card, so they stick out of your wallet and get bent in your pocket.

On a positive note: the burger joint, hidden in the foyer next to the reception desk, is cramped, noisy and packed, but the burgers are pretty good. Be prepared to eat and run, or eat standing up at busy times. The pool is small, but nicely positioned and the gym is OK if that's your thing.

If you can get a cheap deal, then the impersonal atmosphere of this place might go unremarked, but at rack rates, this is the hotel equivalent of a clip joint. It promises champagne but delivers ginger ale at a sky-high price.

• Liked — Hardly anything
  • Disliked — Almost everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northbrook, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

Booked for 4 day visit to NYC with my preteen daughter. From beginning to end, never saw a single hotel employee smile. Wanted to use the pool; was told "it was closed until further notice for ceiling repairs" one night and when I asked them to let me know when it opened again, front desk frostily advised me to check back later. When I did check back next day, oops, "our pool closes early on the weekends." When I asked if I could get a late checkout the next day so as to use the pool in the morning, again a very frosty tone and she says "I really can't tell you that. You'll have to call in the morning but I wouldn't get your hopes up." !?!
The minibar is deliberately set up so that you can NOT use it as a frig if you have restaurant leftovers...but there's a sign that says housekeeping will perhaps be able to store something for you...if there's room...for a FEE.
The TV remote didn't work, the toilet ran, the TV checkout didn't work, the thermostat was broken.
The concierge had good restaurant recos but, again, a very unpleasant attitude...she and all of them seemed very put out by my asking any questions at all.
The doorman was regularly difficult to find.
It's too bad, a lovely facility but the attitude was so truly condescending and unhelpful that I'll actively avoid it in the future. I've stayed at the Michelangelo, the Essex House, the Morgan and three different W Hotels in Manhattan...all terrific and any of which I wish I'd chosen this time instead and will steer everyone else toward in the future.

• Liked — Nice sense of style. Great location, close to Central Park, shopping and Times Square area
  • Disliked — Everyone who works there treated me as if I were an annoyance to them.
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the "W," the Morgan, the Michelangelo, the Essex House...
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

The room furnishings were not what I think are attractive, a little IKEA ' ish looking. The platform bed and mattress were extremely uncomfortable. My husband and I got very little sleep, because we were sleeping on such a horrible mattress The Air Conditioner could not be lowered to my comfort level, I had set it on 65 degrees, but the room temp never got above 74. I asked maintance to come up and look at it, but it didn't help. It was very hot and humid, so when I was in my room I had hoped to get relief. I think I could have done much better at another hotel for the money I spent on a night here

• Liked — Location of the property.
  • Disliked — The uncomfortable bed/mattress.
  • Tips/Secrets — You can do better at a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Le Parker Meridien New York? Share your experiences!