“Christmas visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #145 of 449 hotels in New York City
Northport, New York
“Christmas visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2005

Our stay was a gift for Christmas with the giftgiver in another room--both rooms were impeccable and large. The pool was great the first day--nice and warm but the heater must've been off for Christmas--temps dipped 10 degrees Christmas eve and day. Views spectacular from atrium pool and our rooms overlooking the park--fabulous restaurant recommendation from the concierge, breakfast at Nora's (their restaurant) was luxurious and delicious (albeit pricey). We had our 3 & 5 year old who were warmly welcomed and enjoyed the premises thoroughly! Would definitley go again--PS- bring your own lock for the lockers in the locker rooms

3,492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2005

I spent a lot of time in my room (work) and I have to say - I don't know what the naysayers wanted from this hotel. Maybe they were the people in front of me checking in who never said "I read this hotel is horrible, are you going to give me a bad room?" Wow, what an introduction!

The gym is great. Lots of magazines and two floors of cardio and weight equipment. The housekeeping service was always respectful of my wishes and never knocked or tried to get me to hurry up so they could clean. I asked for help with my bags and got it. The area is wonderful, not right on crowded 5th Avenue (a plus in my book), but within walking distance of everything you could want in midtown - Central Park, Shopping, Rockefeller Center, Times Square.

My only complaint is their elevators are SLOW. Three elevators is not enough for 22 floors.

I'd stay here again in a second!

Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2005

We've stayed at the Parker Meridien about 6 times over the past 3 years. If you can get at rate of $159 or less it is worth staying here. At rates higher than that, stay somewhere else as it's value to price equation drops rapidly.

On the plus side: good location, modern architecture, free internet (bring an ethernet cable), pool, pretty good gym (it's a bit gritty however), Norma's restaurant (great breakfast, big portions, big price), nice bathrooms.

Negatives: Any problem resolution, uncomfortable beds/pillows, doesn't participate in the LeMeridien Moments program, doesn't seem like a full-service hotel in many ways, won't guarantee a non-smoking room if you book anywhere but direct with them, bellhops pushing for tips

I generally like this hotel and the LeMeridien chain in general, but problems with reservations and subsequent price gouges in costly upgrades in order to get a non-smoking room leave a bad impression. I took the manager over 3 weeks to reply to a complaint email to him, with a lame response. If you don't like modern/contemporary decor, definitely don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2004, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2004

this hotel is one place where you can get ripped off constatntly.
The hotel service was terrible. from the people in the front desk to the bell boy every body tries to rip you off. It is extremely overpriced for the low quality of service that they provide you.

if you want to stay in a decent place and what your money to worth, then stay away from this hotel!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2004

I was directed to this hotel while on business last-minute for a week during prime shopping season in December (i.e. it was not my first choice). I was booked into a junior suite at about $325 night. Initially, I was pleasantly surprised at the room size, bathroom, great location and views. But as the stay wore on, the uncomfortable bed, incredibly slow elevators, mob-scene lobby and unpredictable service began to wear on me.

I had a guest join me mid-week, and despite three reminders to the front desk, she was denied check-in until I was located on a cell phone mid-meal with an important client. Bad form. The hallways always seemed to be littered with take-out trays, housekeeping showed up at 5pm, and the gym is not all it's cracked up to be (better to walk three blocks to Golds and pay $10). I didn't expect the Four Seasons, but in retrospect I think things would have been better at the Royalton.

The burger bar is not to be missed.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2004

We were supposed to stay six nights at Le Parker Meridien but we managed only one as we checked out as early as we could the next morning. This has to be the most dreadful hotel my husband and I have ever stayed in. The lobby is cold and impersonal. The room way too small with no dresser, we had no place to put our clothes so they remained in our suitcases. The result of this was that we had no place to sit or walk around in the room as our suitcases were either on the one chair or on the floor. The closet door was comprised of material and so small we couldn't use it. We suffered through the night on an uncomfortable platform bed, hard pillows and a running toilet. Did I mention the trash on the floor when we got off the elevator? Well, it was still there when we left the next morning. Never again.

PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2004

I regret that you do not offer a "o star" option. This was the single biggest mistake I have ever made in choosing a hotel - no small feat given that I stay in hotels over 100 nights per year. Without going into the details of an experience which went from bad to worse to worse yet, let it suffice to say that my experience at the Holiday Inn in Green Bay, WI (yes, I HAVE stayed there) was far superior to this. If you are thinking about staying here, don't. If you have a reservation, cancel it. It is amazing that a New York City hotel at $395/night could lower itself to these depths of service. Outside of a lovely receptionist and one tremendously helpful concierge the service was incompetent, negligent and most surprisingly, exceptionally hostile. Enough said.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Le Parker Meridien New York? Share your experiences!