“In need of renovations but wonderful, accommodating staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Junior Suite + $75
Ranked #148 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“In need of renovations but wonderful, accommodating staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We started off in an upgraded room right next to the broken ice machine room which was really noisy, room # 911. After being shown several more rooms we were given a complementary suite that worked really well for our family's needs. Staff were professional, attentive and Mohammed the door man was adorable. You can tell the staff like their jobs and like working here. The hotel has an amazing enclosed rooftop pool. With only 11 hotels in NYC with pools this is one of the best. Pool staff were friendly, the place was spotless and the pool was always quiet, despite beine open to the public. We also stayed at The James Hotel in Soho which has a rooftop pool, lap pool which is crowded and not suitable for kids. Le Meridien Parker is a great choice for families. It is close to Central Park, FAO Swartz and MoMA which has a kids program and is a very interactive modern museum. Only fault is the rooms are really run down (we saw 5 rooms) and the whole hotel is in desperate need of a renovation. Also, if you are scared of heights the rooms in the tower can sway in the wind, so ask for a lower floor if you think this will bother you. Final fault is the $10 daily charge for the internet and the pool. Who doesn't have complimentary wifi these days? However, we were in the pool twice a day so it did not bother us so much. The wifi is patchy in certain rooms so if this is a priority for you make sure you ask when checking in, some rooms are better than others. I did have a problem paying a wifi daily charge when it did not work.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower can sway in the wind. We were on the 7th floor which can be noisy as it faced 56t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Emily M,

I was very pleased to read your kind comments about our staff and hotel. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay. As you noted in your review, we have a $10 per day facility fee that offers guests unlimited access to gravity our fitness center, the pool, as well as high-speed internet access for unlimited devices and local and toll free calls from guest rooms. Most hotels in Midtown charge $15+ per device per day for internet access alone, so we feel that the facility is actually a great value.

Thanks again for the feedback! We hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

Director of Guest Communications

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Indonesian first
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Good quality hotel in nice location. We didn't eat in the hotel, but we did try cocktails. Wow they were good and strong. Good gym and pool. $10 a day mandatory fee for use of gym/pool/wi-fi. We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better, although the lifts are slow
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear John_and_Alison,

I'm very happy that you enjoyed the hotel (and the cocktails too!). Thanks for sharing your experience.

See you soon!

Pennington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Clean comfortable room with a superb location relative to Central Park, Midtown, Carnegie Hall, Times Square (if you so desire). Burger Joint and Norma's add great dining options/availability. Lobby main floor area for coffee, cocktails is unique and great for people watching. So much within a few steps outside of the hotel. Wonderful. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NJTraveler609,

Thanks for the kind words and nice review. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

ALERT: FRAUDULENT BILLING PRACTICES AT THIS HOTEL!
Summary: This hotel charged us for a room we did not stay in, and they refused to reverse the charges. Neither during our stay nor when we checked out did they make any representation or show me any bill for this room charge. It appeared on my credit card statement the following month. When I called to discuss this with them they claimed somehow inexplicably it was my fault. I have had to file a formal dispute with my credit card company to attempt to resolve this hotel’s error.
Details: We stayed the Le Parker Meridien for 3 nights, from Thursday through Sunday, August 1st – 3rd. We were travelling with my sister-in-law who booked the reservation. We arrived before her and the hotel claimed we had booked 3 rooms. I explained this was a mistake and that we only needed 2 rooms and showed them the reservation. The staff at the front desk said they would clear this up so we checked in.
Initially they gave us 2 adjoining rooms. However, when my sister-in-law arrived, she ended up taking a room down the hall from us and we returned the keys to the room adjoining ours back to the front desk.
When I checked out of the hotel, they showed me the final room charges. Since we had prepaid for the hotel, the only charge represented to me was for a hair cut that I had gotten at the hotel barbers (actually the best thing about this hotel was this barber).
I then receive my credit card bill and there is a mysterious $385 charge from this hotel. I called the hotel, and spoke to Mike in Finance, and he claimed the charge was for adjoining room that we never entered or stayed in. He also stated the cleaning staff realized no one was staying in the room- which is why they were kind enough only to charge us for 1 night.
Have you ever heard of anything so deplorably fraudulent from a hotel?
My questions:
Why was there no mention of this charge made by the staff either during our stay (we had numerous interactions with the front desk) or when we checked out?
Why was I not shown a bill for this room charge?
By their own admission, they realized they had made the mistake- 1) when the cleaning staff saw no one was occupying the room and 2) we had returned the keys to the room to the front desk.
Despite the hotels ambiance and location, their business practices are dishonest. I WOULD ADVISE AGAINST ANYONE STAYING AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Daniel S,

I am very sorry for your frustration surrounding the multiple reservations. Please know all 4 reservations were held in good faith by the hotel. On May 2nd 2 rooms were booked under your sister's name. On May 9th 2 additional rooms were booked under your sister's name. When you arrived the number of rooms were indicated to you. You reported this as an error and checked into 2 of the rooms. At this time you presented your card for all charges on both rooms. Later in the evening your sister arrived and was informed of the 2 remaining reservation under her name. She checked into one room and cancelled the final room and was charged a late cancellation fee of 1 night. When it was discovered you were not using the second of the 2 rooms that you signed for, we checked this room out so you were not incur the full 3 nights charges. This in the source of the $385 charge, equal to the amount that would have been charged in late cancellation fees for this booking. As your family acknowledged making these reservations themselves on the web, the hotel had no way of knowing exactly how many rooms were needed and had no choice but to assume that you needed all four. Unfortunately, as the hotel was not given prior notice that you did not require the 2 errant rooms, the 1 night charge for each of the additional rooms is in fact correct. Due to the high volume of reservations and cancellations we process, we are obligated to strictly adhere to our cancellation policies. During your stay a manager attempted to speak with your family regarding these charges. Message were left in the room as well as on the telephone number on file. These calls were not returned. When checking out of the room, you were given a receipt for the room you utilized. The additional room was not checked-out at the time, had a request been made we would have happily provided the folio reflecting the 1 night charge. If you would like a copy, please let me know. While I understand not wishing to pay for the error, certainly there has been no fraudulent charges.

Regards,

guestrelations@parkermeridien.com
Wiesbaden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We enjoyed the stay at Le Parker. The room was spacious and comfortable. Our son loves the hotel especially because of the Burger Joint and the easy access to it. We also liked the Spa with its extraordinary style, although we consider the prices for a massage as quite high.

Dear Petra F,

I was thrilled to read that you and your family enjoyed the hotel. Your son clearly has very good taste in burgers and hotels! Thanks for your review. We look forwards to seeing you here again soon.

Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My room was huge, simple but huge. Plenty of space for a rollaway or crib if needed.
Hotel was in a great location for the shopping trip I had planned. It is in Upper Manhattan and a pretty decent walk to mid town or lower Manhattan, but I love to walk so this didn't bother me at all.
It's between 5th Avenue and Broadway, both 2 blocks away. Central Park is also less than 2 blocks away, so there is so much to see and do within walking distance of the hotel.
Staff were all very friendly.
We had drinks and some food at the bar, the service there was slow and not so great, but the food and drinks were good.
Not much else I can say, except, great and I would go back!
I went to the spa and could only get a male masseuse, he was ok, I had to ask him to turn the music down and I didn't like how he talked so much. I don't like how they "include" the 20% tip for you, that makes a huge assumption and adds a really large amount to already super high prices.
It is definitely worth a visit to the basement to check out the facilities though as they are pretty unique.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor they are quieter and there is a lot of construction going on outside the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear aliandluke,

Thanks for the nice review. So glad to hear that we were a good base camp for your shopping adventures. If you need to get somewhere downtown in a hurry next time don't forget that we have four subway lines just steps away from the hotel that can quickly whisk you to the far corners of the city in a New York Minute.

We look forward to having you as our guests again very soon!

Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Nice staff and well located place. Delicious Natural Orange Juice and croissants at the bar. Excellent location for people traveling to the US Open Tennis Championship. Nice place for hamburguers at the lobby, fast nice food.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Nathy12345,

I'm very happy that we were a good base camp for your US Open excursions! We hope to see you next August!

Director of Guest Communications

Been to Le Parker Meridien New York? Share your experiences!