“The Le Parker Meridien - How do you get to Carnegie Hall?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Parker Meridien New York

You added Le Parker Meridien New York to your Saves list
Le Parker Meridien New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119 West 56th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #160 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Iowa City, Iowa
“The Le Parker Meridien - How do you get to Carnegie Hall?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A classic hip hotel - if that makes sense: art in the lobby, cartoons in the elevators, orange motif, quirky burger joint tucked behind a wall - but not trying _too_ hard. Elegant casual if you will.

Like all NY spots, it's expensive, but I try to think of it as a surcharge for being in one of the very best cities in the world.

Nice if they had coffee and tea in the rooms.

HBO - what my friend Beth refers to as "Hotel Box Office" would also be nice perk.

A few doors east of Carnegie Hall. You can get there by walking. (or practicing a lot!)

Room Tip: Northern exposure a must if you want to see Central Park - but you would need to be on a high floor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is ideally located on 56th and 6th Avenue, 5 minutes from Central Park, 10 from Broadway theaters and just off several subway lines. It has a nice bar-lounge, is spotless clean, and has friendly service. So Why am I rating it average?
1. Wen you're spending $ 450 a night, you would expect a closet in your room, and not a couple of shelves hidden behind a ringed curtain.
2. When you're paying a healthy amount extra to have a view on Central Park, you expect a better view on the park than on the air conditioning units of the buldings in front of your window blocking 1/3rd of the view. My advice: don't pay more for a view of the park; it's not worth it.
3. When you check in as a Gold Member and hear that you have been upgraded to a junior suite, you're delighted until you realize that the suite faces the street and not the park as originally booked at a premium. When you mention this, you're downgraded back to your original room with an embarrassed smile. That's why I call it mismanagement of expectations.
4. Reception is friendly, but you would expect them to tell you that when you're above the 23rd floor, you need a different set of elevators which are very well hidden next to the bar/lounge and not behind you. It would seem basic for that quality hotel and avoid some irritation after a 12 hour long haul flight.
5. As a general comment, I am not sure when the windows were last checked for soundproof efficiency, but even as high up as the 37th floors, you can distinctly here the noise from the street. If you're a light sleeper, don't forget your wax balls.
6. Finally, it may be that we are spoiled in Europe, but for this type of hotel you get a bit more that a regular bar of soap, a tiny bottle of bath/shampoo gel and a moisturing cream as amenities to your bathroom which is just about large enough to welcome a dwarfed individual. There wasn't even a complimentary bottle of water!
To sum it up: if location is what you're after, this is a great place. If you're after a touch of luxury beyond the hallway, you'll be disappointed.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pisa, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

By far my WORST experience ever in ANY Hotel I have been in my life (quite many, in Europe and America). I arrived on Thursday 2 May at night, my brother had planned to join me for the weekend with his family, but he had to suddenly cancel his reservation – while I was flyiing there – due an accident unfortunately happened to my 2-years old nephew, who almost lost a finger by putting his hand into a blender...
It was well clear to the hotel, well before my arrival, that the amount due for my room should be charged to a friend of my brother's who has been an affectionate guest for many times of Le Parker Meridien, and who had planned to come as well, together with his family, had it not been for my nephew's injury.
Despite this, I was asked to provide my Credit Card, which was charged of the entire amount due for my 4 nights there, that is 1.800 US dollars.
The morning after, 3 May, I was told by the reception that they had received the data by the person who would pay for my room (my brother's friend), therefore they had released my card.
I was in NY for a conference, so I didn't have to spend money for my meals until Sunday, and I only did little shopping on Friday. On Sunday, when I finally had a day off and wanted to buy a few presents for my wife and daughter, it happened that my card was rejected. I reached the nearest ATM, and I could not withdraw any cash. I immediately gave a phone call to the emergency number of my Italian Bank, and I was told that I had already reached the expense limit of my card, 1600 euro, approximately 2000 dollars. Feeling understandably incredulous and annoyed, I rang my hotel and the best they could tell was that they had indeed STARTED the procedure to release my card, but due to the weekend and to the slowness of international bank bureaucracy my bank would not register the cancellation of my payment until an indeterminate number of days...
If any of you might think that such a prestigious and luxurious hotel as Le Parker Meridien would acknowledge their actual responsibility and fix my situation in some way, you would be completely disappointed. If it had not been for two people attending the conference which I knew and to whom I could ask some money on loan, I would have literally starved, without the hotel caring AT ALL about that, beside formal verbal apologies.
On Monday early morning we tried to fix the thing by calling my bank in Italy, but they said that no release of money from my card proved to be effective yet, although the hotel manager did her best to convince me of the contrary. Actually, my card remained completely useless.
Despite that, the hotel gave me a receipt where all the amount due for the 4 nights was charged, as if everything had worked perfectly. I asked them how I could reach my airport, and they said they would provide a car....by charging an additional 171 dollars to the receipt!!!
The only possible conclusion is that guests of Le Meridien Parker are ONLY considered as money payers, the only thing the hotel really cares is to cash in all they want as soon as you arrive there.
You do not exist at all as a human being, not to say as a guest whose stay in NY was totally spoilt.
They did not care at all of being responsible of my situation, they only offered embarrassing and irritating words of apologies....even if my brother offered on phone to guarantee through his credit card for me, they denied to give me ANY CASH at all.

I was in a Junior Suite, but no breakfast was provided, and when I came back every day I found my pijama rolled into a ball and put on the bedside table, rather than properly and politely folded as one would expect even from well lesser hotels.

A real NIGHTMARE, an awful experience that I would not with to anyone. The most disappointing hotel experience in my life.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear GerdeSimone,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your experience. We do require a funds to cover charges at check-in, for all guests. Unfortunately, prepayment was not arranged prior to your arrival and as such you were required to supply payment. I empathize with your dilemma and I regret we left you with such a poor impression of our care for your situation. We anguish to learn of your nephew's injury and hope he is recovering quickly and thoroughly.

Regards,

Lisa Tharp
Director of Guest Relations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Mt wife and I were at Le Parker Meridien on the last week of April for 5 nights. Its location is perfect: two blocks to Central Park; close to Warner Center and the theater district; plenty of good restaurants around and three subway stations one to three blocks away so that you could Access lines to everywhere. One night we went to Yankee stadium on 160something Street without any subway transfer. Rooms are spacious; you never feel cramped; flat TV large enough to watch laying in bed. Working table close to the window allows you to work and have small personal belongins. Bathroom size is just OK but everything works fine although a Little more pressure on the showerhead would be welcome. The hotel host Norma´s a super popular place for breakfast; it is always crowded but guest have some preference. You must try it; food is excellent and service satisfying. There is also a "Burger joint" with customer lines all day long, mostly non-guest customers. Hamburgers are good, allright, but in my opinión do not compensate for the waiting and the poor conditions inside: cramped, self-service and a little dirty. There is also a nice room on the first floor with direct entry from 57th Street that is a bar at night and serves continental breakfast in the morning; this is worthwile to go at least for a drink.
The lobby is impressive and probably the only área of the hotel that gives you an european feeling.
I will comeback to this hotel and can recommend it to you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Englewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel location midtown in the best city in the world. Quiet room great bar what more you you want? Maybe some theatre tickets to go along with your stay since you are in the theatre district

Room Tip: higher floors are very quiet do not know about the lower floors
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Breakfast area is too small. Unacceptable waiting times (45 min) on sat and sun. If you want to have an early start to explore the city, don't have breakfast at the hotel !
Rooms are nice and spacious. Swimming pool on top floor with views over Central Park.

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

very good hotel in the best location of New York, to small breakfast room, buffet would be better. If business starts at 7.30 you cannot have breakfast from 7am when 20 people start to order at the same time. I had no time to visit the spa area, but the view was exciting. enty hall very beautyfull, perfekt welan in rooms and looby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Le Parker Meridien New York? Share your experiences!