“Great location, but overpriced for the quality.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Parker Meridien New York

You added Le Parker Meridien New York to your Saves list
Le Parker Meridien New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119 West 56th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #170 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“Great location, but overpriced for the quality.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I’ve stayed at this hotel a number of times, it’s actually my top choice of in NYC, but only because I’m somewhat of a slave to Starwood. If not for that, I would find another hotel for sure. For the prices Le Parker charges, there are a number of other hotels that are comparable, and some are even better for less money. Even in the Starwood group the W Hotel Times Square, and the Westin Hotel Times Square have better rankings on Tripadvisor, so I am not alone in my assesment.

So why do I stay here? Good question, it is because the location is so convenient to Central Park. For me Central Park is the most treasured part of the city, and if I have even an hour I want to spend it in the park. As a consequence, I want to be as near as I can be, and this hotel is only a block away.

Unfortunately of late, I’m feeling like I am being punished with mediocre service, and high prices just to be somewhere near the park and within the Starwood group. It’s discouraging, but small things that you’d expect at a hotel where routinely I pay $400 a night, like turn down service, an air conditioning system that works, heck even buttons that light up when you press them to call the elevator. A clean room, with toiletries (very minimal) that haven’t been previously enjoyed by another guest, phones that work, and don’t call you with calls that can’t complete the connection when even someone internally is calling you, a room where you can’t hear and feel the pressure change as the elevator cars ascend and descend. The windows used to open, but now they are sealed, so you can’t even use them to control the temperature of the room, so that’s another issue. I think a hotel of this status should have blinds that are more effective at blocking light. High speed internet that is only 11 Mbps isn’t what I call high speed. Minibars that cannot be used for personal items is just tacky in this day and age, and oh so Las Vegas. Three banks of elevators mean long waits during busy times in the morning then stopping on every floor, as everyone else has also been waiting. And finally, the rooms could stand a bit more sound proofing from hall activities, I didn’t notice every little door slamming though which is very nice, but I did hear every guest walking by and some yelling kids from the room down the hall. The shower faucet was missing it’s blue and red indicators so you couldn’t tell which way to turn the knob to get hot or cold, not just ugly, but dangerous as well.

On the positive: Stunning large screen Samsung TV’s, very comfortable beds, a guest relations management that does care, and listen. Nola’s has very good breakfast dishes and the hamburger joint is good, and fun when you can get in there (hint go before 6:00). The lobby is nice, but a bit of a hodge-podge, the barbershop is nice to see and a unique thing (typical of the Parker) the lobby bar is a great place to meet friends, and head out to the park.

As a Starwood Platinum member it’s also important to note the front desk does not have an expedited line for Starwood, there’s a little sign shoved off to the end when the desk meets the wall, but no one there. I don’t recommend this hotel to others without warning them off its many downfalls, but I do still recommend it for the location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Grand Blanc, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Well, I hate to complain about anything regarding our trip to NYC. The hotel was in such a nice location near Central Park and easy walking distance to Times Square, theaters and "30 Rock". We stayed at another hotel the last time we were in NYC and I found this location much better with easy access to highly ranking eateries. My complaint has to do with the room - we had a handicap room and really have no idea what the rooms are like that are not handicap access. We really found it nearly impossible to unpack... very little room for hanging items up or drawers for putting items in. We traveled with our teenager who had a lumpy pull-out couch. No privacy between the main bed and the pull out couch ... absolutely none. The TV could rotate to be watched either from the couch or the bed. The bathroom had little to no counter space to put belongings (seriously ... it was impossible to unpack). It was a bit disconcerting having the shower open to the rest of the room as we weren't sure if the water would stay near the shower or soak the rest of the bathroom, wetting any bags or clothing that might have been in the bathroom on the floor (teenager with us remember). The floor stayed dry. I don't think I'll be booking here again -- it wasn't terrible but I think there must be better. I really want to blame it on the fact that it was a handicap room... I assume handicapped individuals like to hang up their clothes and have privacy from the fold out couch though so I would be cautious booking the room if you bring family. The bathroom would have been ideal for wheelchair access.

Staff was more than pleasant. A bit crowded with many milling around in wait for the burger joint and Norma's. Queues also for checking in an out so it seemed tight moving in and out of the hotel. The Knave (bar) was great but seating was minimal and the blustery weather made it seem a bit cool near the doors.

It wasn't an awful place... just non-plussed I guess.

Room Tip: Handicap room - not terrific.
israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Room was Comfortable and bigger than average - catch - noise fron ice room and elevator. If you want a quiet room than you get a standard one. Gym was excellent especially classes with dorothy. Buzz about the burger - great PR- not bad but not special. Overall -good experience as location is good -close to central park. Price - expensive but so are so many places in NY... Would come back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This my 3rd stay at Le Parker Meridien, out of many, many visits to NYC. By far the best property in midtown with exceptional service all around, fantastic, atypical "burger joint," tremendous views from top floor pool, and extremely comfortable, spacious, clean rooms and suites. I compare everything to this property. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If there are specials available for the junior suites, these are great if you have kids/teens with y...
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Before I begin I have to tip my hat to the Revenue Manager at this hotel. Her name is Paola Betteta! This trip was a surprise birthday trip for my wife. I was looking for different hotels in NYC in Manhattan at a fair price for this occasion. I looked at the Meridien site and sent in a question about rates to a generic mailbox. Within hours Paola answered my email and setup a reservation for me. I explained to her that this was a special occasion and no matter what questions I had for her, she had an answer and offered many suggestions. I sent many emails to her and none of them went unanswered. There were other hotels that answered me back, but not till 2 or three days later. Paola was the reason i choose this hotel. Her service was outstanding and it was a pleasure working with her. This was even the case on the day of arrival. Our initial flight was canceled which meant instead of arriving in NYC at 2:00 PM we wouldn't arrive till 9:00 PM and not arrive to the hotel till 10:00. I had setup in advance for an anemity basket to be delivered to the room upon check-in. Well, with not getting there till 10:00 that screwed up the plans. i called Paola and she told me it would be no problem. When we arrived later that night the basket was already in the room still fresh and set up nicely! Thank you for all of your help Paola, it was defitely a pleasure working with you. Even though the hotel had 1000's of guests with stories of their own you made me feel like mine was important and mattered and I truly appreciate that.

The hotel was great! Our room was spacious and we had a fantastic view of Central Park! We arrived late on our first day, and were hungry because of traveling. The hotel has a Burger joint off the lobby that was still open. It was very good and took some of the pain of the late arrival off. The bar off the lobby is also nice. When we arrived the gentlemen checking us in wished my wife a Happy Birthday which was a nice touch. The lobby, elevators, and hallways were all clean and well maintained. Our room was very nice. I only wish that there had been a fridge and micro in the room, but that wasn't a deal breaker. we also loved the location of the hotel. We were 2 blocks from Central Park, and walking distance from Trump Tower, Times Square, the Theater District, the Empire State Building, and Rockafeller Center. Cabs are plentiful out front for attractions not within walking distance. There are quite a few different restaurants around the hotel and it is also right on the same block as Carnegie Hall. I really can't think of anything that ws missing that i just couldn't do without. When we come back to New York I will definitely work with Paola again and stay at the Le Parker Meridien!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The location is unbeatable, between the Central Park and the Times Square, surrounded by eateries, convenient stores, and shops. The Burger Joint was a nice surprise in a hotel with a grand lobby. The room was huge with a wall-to-wall window and big mirrors. Great to start a day with an early morning swim in the pool on the 42nd floor, overlooking the park. The only drawback was the weak wifi signal in my room. I couldn't get onto wifi during the first two days. Finally, on the last night, it was fixed after a visit by hotel tech support.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Love the warm reception we always get at LPM. From the helpful front desk staff to the concierges to the cleaners, each person makes us feel that this is our NYC "home." We love the roomy junior suite with the walk-in shower. The lobby bar is a great place to relax and drink a macchiato. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear BabsyVA,

Thank you for you most recent visit! We are always thrilled to welcome back loyal guests to our beloved city. We look forward to your next visit. If I can be of assistance, just let me know know.

Have a Good One!

Lisa Tharp
Director of Guest Relations
guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Been to Le Parker Meridien New York? Share your experiences!