“great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental New York Barclay

You added InterContinental New York Barclay to your Saves list
InterContinental New York Barclay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 East 48th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #200 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
west sussex
“great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

This hotel had a great location as most sight seeing things were able to be done by foot or from Grand central Terminal ( 5 mins walk) Rooms were reasonably large and clean but bathrooms tiny although functionable.
Front desk staff very offhand but we found that was the New York manner generally. Locals were more helpful when we had problems with Metro tickets.
The lobby area was very impressive with lovely sofas and terrific lily floral arrangements . Never ate in the restaurants as the water in the mini bar was $7 yet only $1 in the Duane Reade across the road !!!!
We would use this hotel again because of its fantastic location but prepare yourself for dining out and use of the local delis !

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — off hand staff
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

The InterContinental hotel was very nice. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. The hotel staff was courteous, answering all our questions and addressing all our concerns. We had a concern about the hotel being on such a busy street that it may be loud, so they put us on one of the top floors on the quite side of the hotel. Unfortunately the hotel is not in a great spot to hop on and off the subway, but we didn't mind walking 4 or more blocks to enter the subway. We had a great weekend in New York, made even better with our stay at the InterContinental.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North of Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

Wanted to take a trip to New York City between Christmas and New Years with my wife and young son (5). Chose the Hotel Barclay. It was close to everything and seemed a good choice.

When we arrived we were pleased by what we saw. The hotel looby was nice and the room was clean and modern. Many guests were international, mostly from Europe. Upon arriving late afternoon we freshened up and decided to check out some sights and get a bite to eat. The Concierge appeared to be held hostage by a german family with two staff members attending to them for over 30 minutes. Finally (being 2nd in line) we decided to go out on our own. The Bellman was helpful and directed us out. We went to Times Square and had a nice time with our son (he got a kick out of Toys R.Us with the indoor ferris wheel and lifesize robot T-Rex).

Most of the restaurants had an hour wait so we decided to eat in the hotel. We knew it would be expensive ($28 for a hamburger) but thought it would be nice and relaxing. When we arrived we were seated way to one side of the restaurant away from everyone else (which was fine). The service was poor as we were not attended to for at least 10 - 15 minutes. Finally the waitress came and took out order. We were not offered a wine list and I had to wait another 10 minutes to see her again to order some wine. I ordered a bottle of merlot ($40) but the waitress came back and said they were out and had to order the more expensive ($85) bottle as we were looking forward to some wine. I had to ask for bread and the water we asked for never came. I had ordered the Pasta fagiole as an appetizer and my wife had a salad. When I got into my soup I bit into a hard object and found a wire tie (like that from a bread loaf bag except thicker). By this point we never saw our waitress again and I got the hostess and showed it to her. She said she was sorry and told us we wouldn't have to pay for the soup (Wow).

Finally after a long wait our dinner finally came out but my son's mac n cheese didn't come out with the meals (we put this in early so he could eat before us he was hungry and it was late). It was apparant they didn't get this order in and we had to wait even longer for his food to come out. Our meals were not even average at best. I said I wanted to speak to the manager when the meal was done and I expressed that we were very disapointed in our experience. She said that she understood and was willing to not charge me for the soup and mac & cheese. She also informed me that the soup was removed from the menu for that evening. I told her that I didn't eat the soup and that under the circumstances would have expected more than an offer of free mac & cheese after everything (the bill was roughly $250 for a horrible dining experience). She handled things very poorly in offering to take $10 off of the bill. She said that she had planned on sending something to our room to make up for everything (which I doubt) in lieu of discounting the dinner bill. Its funny because I sensed something just after we sat down and told my wife we should go elsewhere... It's too bad that our stay started this way as the things went well from there. But when you start off badly it affects things. The staff was helpful and the room was nice. We were able to see a lot during our 3 days there. Just don't go to the hotel restaurant. There is plenty in the area. Also...check with the concierge early for dining help.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — restaurant and service
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

The hotel lobby was beautiful . When we arrived there was a line and only 2 people checking guests. When we arrived in our room , we were pleasantly surprised on the size of the room. The bathroom had to be the smallest bathroom I have ever been in. It was in such need for an update as well. The plumbing was somewhat rusting and the wallpaper was peeling off the walls. Behind the door in bathroom was pieces of long dark hair on the floor. It made me think floors had not been cleaned.
Our room overlooked Lexington Ave, we stayed on 7th floor, did not get much sleep in 2 nights we were there, due to horns and sirens all night. I have to say we come to New York several times a year and I will not stay here again. Another thing, for being a 5 star hotel there were no slippers or robes in our room. Sometimes even the small things count. No one turned down our bed at night!

Stayed January 2007
Edinburg, Tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

Pro's: Doormen are very helpful in unloading and loading luggage and tracking down taxi's.

Entrance is very luxurious and the hotel as a whole is very well decorated and attractive.

The bed is extremely relaxing and we all enjoyed a good nights sleep.

The location is good. You are close to Grand Central Terminal, the subway, 5th avenue. and restaurants. The Dynasty restaurant located on the 2nd floor of the Radisson is directly across from the hotel. Food and service is terrific at a modest cost. We also enjoyed the Argentine Pavillion on 45th st a few blocks from the hotel. Our waiter Horacio was delightful and kept our little girl laughing. The steaks are fantastic. Taxi fare to Times Square should run you about $5.50 plus tip.

Con's: Bathrooms are ridiculously small. The toilet is tiny and very low to the ground. Next to it is the toilet paper dispenser on the left and the sink on the right. The shower is also very narrow, however it is helped by the curved rod.

Priority club membership level does not get you any special treatment or upgrades. I am a platinum member and they did nothing to enhance my stay.

The staff does not seem to give any customer service unless they are tipped. When we arrived the porter kept insisting on helping us with our luggage which consisted of 2 26" samsonite spinners which are just about the easiest luggage you can lug around. Before I knew it he had loaded it on the cart and was helping us to our room. He then placed the luggage in the room by the door and literally stuck his hand out for his tip. I was not pleased but felt obligated to tip him. Another example of this attitude was when we had breakfast. We received the luxury weekend rate which included free breakfast for 2 adults which we later learned was a $ 60 limit. When we informed the waiter he told us our only choice was the buffet he then disappeared and only returned at the end to give us our check. We were very disappointed with his attitude and his behaviour. I signed the check and left the tip blank. I should have wrote a big fat zero. When we checked out I found out that he had gone ahead and given himself a 15% tip on his own. I was going to let it go but I was appalled at his brazenness especially since on our second breakfast he greeted us with a chilly demeanor. I did tip on our second breakfast because our waiter that day was very helpful and efficient. Overall you get the sense that the only thing that the staff is interested in is getting their tip.

We had to change rooms from the north end to the west end in order to sleep. The walls as many have mentioned are paper thin and the noise from the streets will keep you up all night.

I couldn't believe that free internet was not included and only available in the lobby. Also the business computers are available at an additional charge. With everything being extra whatever economical value the hotel could have provided was quickly lost.

I doubt that we will stay here again especially with all the other options available.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Everything was extra
  • Tips/Secrets — Be strong do not succumb to the mini-bar!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed at the hotel over a long weekend...
First, the good. The location is superb, located right behind Grand Central it's convenient for Times Square, if you want to catch a show, the museum mile and 5th Ave. The rooms are bigger than what you would normally get in NYC for the price that you pay. The water pressure is normal in the showers, which can be problematic in NYC. Thankfully, the rooms are also clean, and they have great turndown service.
The Bad? Try to stay away from hotel offerings. I agree with other reviewers, it is the most expensive mini-bar I've ever seen (even water is $7!!), if you want room service try $12 for large coffee!! For in room breakfast you end up paying more than $30 per person with ridiculous fees.
The Ugly? Every single person I came in contact with at the front-desk. They are all absolutely lacking to the Intercontinental norm. I've witnessed 4 people YELLING at them in 2 nights! So this is something... I really hope that the people at Intercontinental read this... The front-desk clerks weren't at all helpful when I requested a room change because I was given a Standard King eventhough I'd reserved an Executive King.

Bottomline: There is a Marriott Courtyard right next to it, I looked around and they look very professional, clean and I didnt notice anybody fighting at the front desk... Not to mention ALL the other hotels available in Manhattan without the attitude!

• Liked — Comfortable bed, nice breakfast buffet at the restaurant
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

Unfortunately I used Bedsonline.com to pre-pay for two nites at the Intercontinental. The management of the hotel felt free to bump us into a Doubletree hotel due to being oversold. Just like that. I prepaid 3 months in advance without any guarantee of using the rooms. I'll never visit that Hotel nor use Bedsonline.com again. Both are awful companies who got no respect for their customers.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to InterContinental New York Barclay? Share your experiences!