“Cant Beat the Barclay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental New York Barclay

and 1 more site!
You added InterContinental New York Barclay to your Saves list
InterContinental New York Barclay
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 East 48th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #214 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Cant Beat the Barclay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

Dear All,
I read almost every review and i am shocked by someof you cheapsters that get a room for $125 on priceline and complain. If i was manager of the Barclay i wouldnt let none of you step on the marble of the lobby for thatamount of money. I travel around the world a lot and i spend about 60 days a year at the Interconti. I love the service at the Barclay and everyone goes out of their way to accomodate you. I can not believe what you people complain about.
Sincerely if you looking for a good place to stay you can not beat the Barclay.

• Liked — 1930s look
  • Disliked — to fancy
  • Tips/Secrets — if you arenot high class dont go there
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Cleveleys, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My partner and I stayed here for 3 days in March, we had a fantastic time. It was our first trip to New York and this hotel was the icing on the cake. The lobby was beautiful, the room comfy and the staff go out of their way to help you, especially the barman who was really friendly. I agree with other reviewers that the check in process took a long time but we were on holiday so we didn't care, it was the perfect opportunity to go and have a look round the area! We never ate here as the prices were what you'd expect for a 5* hotel but there were plenty of other eateries nearby, including a great deli just down the road on the corner where we had breakfast every day! Great staff, great location, great hotel, we'd definately come back again and as we got engaged while we were here, the hotel will always be a special place!

• Liked — The position
  • Disliked — The prices of the drinks at the bar!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't eat in the hotel, plenty of restaurants/eateries close by for a fraction of the price
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I used my Priority Club points and booked one evening at the Barclay hotel in New York. However, a week later, I found a charge on my credit card which is approximately equal to one night's rate. So I called Prority Club, intercontinental reservation and the hotel reservation, and NOBODY could tell me what is wrong and how to fix this. I eventually got to talk to someone in the billing dept of the hotel. He was so rude and impatient, and he even told me that there was no record of my reservation. Then he transferred back to reservation without my consent...I was about to go off on someone over the phone and request the manager, because by this time I had already spoken to like 7 different people. And then some guy picked up the phone, and I told my story for the 8th time. He admitted that there was a mistake and promised to put the money back.

So this is what you get when you book a four star Intercontinental hotel. I was about to cancel the reservation after this incident, but the charge was reversed after a couple of days. So I decided to give them a 2nd chance.

The lobby was nice and impressive, but the room itself was disappointing. The bathroom was small and I am not a fan of the yellowish decor. It is not worth the money, so I'd say for the similar amount of money, go for Westin.

BTW, this is not over yet. I left two tiny bags (similar to backpack size) with the bell service in the hotel after I checked out. When I picked it up, the bell boy gave me a huge attitude...

In a word, don't waste your money on this hotel, because it's not worth it...

Stayed June 2006
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

I booked cheaply by bidding on Priceline. I expected to get a small room but instead was treated very well. I arrived early, the hotel stored my overnight bag and then at checkin gave me a nonsmoking room with a king sized bed.

The room was very nice - I thought it was very large by NYC standards. The bathroom itself was big enough that two people fit at once. The setup of the bathroom was a little cramped. When you sat on the toilet seat, the toilet paper rolls were right next to you on the wall - your shoulder hit them. Not a huge deal, but a little awkward. The shower had one of those curved curtain rods so while you were showering, it felt like the bathtub area was much bigger than it actually was - it was very nice. This hotel does not have a hot water problem - I had trouble getting enough cold water.

The bed was clean - no bed bugs! The room had a mini bar, fridge, coffee maker, iron, hairdryer and shampoo/conditioner and lotion. They also had qtips and shoe shine supplies. The closet was big with lots of hangers. The TV stand had lots of deep drawers for clothes. I thought the bed was pretty comfortable. You could definitely tell that one side of the bed was used more than the other because it was a little softer and had a dip in it but since it was a king sized bed we had more than enough room to move over and get out of the dip.

The one downside to the room was the temperature control. Let me explain that at no time were we sweating or anything that extreme. We turned the air conditioner down as low as it would go and the room never got cold. It was comfortable for the amount of time that we were in the room but at night, we couldn't sleep with any blanket or sheet or it would have been too hot. What was strange is that we woke up in the middle of the night hot and as we lay in bed we didn't hear the air con running. When my husband got up to check the thermostat, it turned on when he got right in front of it. It was almost like it was on an electric eye and only turned on when someone was moving around in the room. Kind of strange. That's the only bad thing I experienced - I wish it could have gotten colder in the room.

The elevators were very fast. We hardly ever had to wait more than 10 seconds for one to arrive. The bar was great. They have a full liquor selection and a bar menu of snacks and light fare. The bartender was really friendly and the service was quick.
The location was great and there was always a steady supply of taxis right outside the door. The subway was about 3 blocks away too. It was central to most of the tourist areas.

The worst feature in my opinion: This is another one of those hotels that refuses to put a queue line in the lobby. They have a large long front desk with about 4-5 attendants but there is no order or semblance of an ordered line. So people just stand around and jockey for the best/quickest line to get in to checkin and checkout. Not a huge problem - just reminds you of how rude people are.

I would definitely stay here again. Even at full price, I thought this hotel would be worth it - definitely worth it if you win a bid on Priceline like I did!

• Liked — Price and cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — checkin-checkout procedures
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

We stayed at the Intercontinental for the 5th straight year. We have 3 young children ages 7,6,4. This is one of the best hotels in the city over all.

I am not going to say my stay was flawless but the best thing about the hotel is that it is consistent. The rooms are nicely appointed and up to date. In fact, I notice something new every year. Compared to other 5-star hotels in the area, this is a real bargain. The lobby is beautiful and the doormen are very accomdating and courteous. We did not ever wait long for a cab.

If you have little girls who are into the Amercan Girl Doll thing (we do). Pay the extra 40 bucks for the AMG package. Its worth it and you will be a hero. You get a bed for the doll and some other goodies well woth the money IMO. There is a check in desk for the kids and the dolls in the lobby. Be sure to mention it to your front desk clerk so you can use it. A check in clerk with a bad attitude gave my wife a look when she mentioned the AMG desk before going through with it. This was the only minor black mark regarding the staff which was, in general, great as usual. The AMG store is a short walk away as well.

If you bring the kids, though, keep in mind this is a 5 star hotel. Kids running wild in the hall at all hours, I assume, are not appreciated either by the staff or the other guests. This is not a Holiday Inn.

This hotel is great. Has a great location, great amenities and a great staff at a realtively great price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff occasionally slow but guest sevices on phone very accomodating
  • Tips/Secrets — Call ahead to concierge
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

I found the staff at the Barclay Intercontinental to be terrific, and we were Hotwire cheapsters. We drove up from Washington, DC for a wedding. Check-in is at 3:00 and the wedding was at 3:30 and I needed to iron my family's outfits before we went way uptown. I requested early check-in and called again that day to request early check in. Jose (the clerk) at first said there were quite a few people ahead of us waiting for their early check-in, but he found a room with one bed and said we could check into that one now and get a roll away for our daughter. We gladly accepted.

The room was spacious (for NYC) and had no mold (I am exquisitly allergic and can have a reaction even when mold isn't visible.) The only faults were: paper thin walls, we had a wailing baby next door during the night (headboard side) and it sounded as though the infant were right next to me; the extra blanket in the closet had a large dirty spot (not a stain! it had been put away w/o laundering); and no name toiletries.

The location was good given the wedding at Columbia U and reception in Chinatown and the garage was $45 per day which is a pretty good deal too. I don't think that this hotel is a competatively upscale as they tout on their web site, but it was nice enough.

• Stayed July 2006
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

We stayed at the IB for one night while in New York for a corporate function. I was a little wary when I saw the rate, and figured it was a budget hotel. Boy, was I wrong!

I had called the front desk on our way there because I feared checking in early after reading reviews. The gentleman I spoke to was SO friendly, and said that it would not be a problem to check in early and that it depends on the rate of occupancy the prior night. If it's not high, early check in is absolutely possible.

We arrived and were so happy about the location. So convenient especially when driving, because it's easily accessible from the FDR. The staff was friendly, efficient, the lobby pretty and the halls immaculate.

I loved the room- it was so comfortable, not at all excessive or ugly. It was slightly on the small side, but it's an old building. The bathroom was great- lighting was nice (not fluorescent) with a working high-tech scale (not that I needed to be reminded!) and a heavenly shower. It was also small, but I didn't care.

The parking was speedy, efficient, and for $45 a little steep, but the convenience was worth it. I personally hate finding parking in nyc!

The only 2 things I'd list as negatives are one: noise from the room next to us. It's just not a place with thick walls! Second: we wanted coffee in the morning but after 11 calls to room service with no answer we just went out and got some. That was a little annoying. What was worse was finding a coffee maker cleverly hidden in the console in the room! :)

I will request to stay in this hotel again for work if needed and it's on my list of personal favorites.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to InterContinental New York Barclay? Share your experiences!