“Pleased” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental New York Barclay

Save Saved
You added InterContinental New York Barclay to your Saves list
InterContinental New York Barclay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 East 48th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #189 of 449 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

Great location. Quite clean. Good room with two windows that open. Compared with the other hotels in the area, I'd stay here. Tip: if you've got a car and are staying for a weekend, drive up to the streets around 70th and Park Ave and find a free parking space. Then take a cab down to the hotel. Tip 2: Don't plan on checking in early.
This was typed at the Barclay, on the in-room internet TV.

3,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Rio Rico, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

We had stayed at the Barclay before. Both times through Priceline. Great Hotel for $150.oo per night in New York. Staff was very nice both stays. TV wouldn't work the first night, but when I called, a tech guy was there within minutes and fixed the problem. Sometimes, it was hard to get a hold of the concierge, but when we did they were very helpful. Would stay at this hotel again, however, be aware, soundproofing of rooms leaves a lot to be desired.

Peckville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

For a cheap hotwire rate, I did not complain or carry on about my room. However, I would have had a fit if I paid over $180. since the Holiday Inn has nicer rooms. Upon check in at 2:00 PM, I was informed by the front desk that check in is normally at 3. The guy acted like he was doing me a huge favor by giving me my room a few hour early. On the same day, 2 hours prior at 12, I checked my parents into the The UN Plaza Millenium. Their room was ready, were not given attitude for checking at 12:00 and they were upgraded to a suite with awesome views, 2 bathrooms, kitchenette etc.. Let me tell you this room at the Barclay looked like a dive in comparison. Everyone who walked into the Barclay room was speechless at the small size, heat and the drab surroundings. We tried to open the curtains to allow some light in and the windows were filthy. We quickly closed the curtains.
The room was ragged and in need of freshening up. I posted the pictures but did not waste digital space to photograph the dirty floor. There was writing on the walls and the bathroom was so tiny. I have stayed in the MUSE, Sheraton Towers, Swiss Hotel, Sofitel, the Time, Westin and Millenium Plaza and they all have bigger rooms or utilized the space better with fancier decor. The Westin and the Sofitel are two of my favorites. Honestly, I felt like I was in a closet. I had to pull a shelf out of the cabinet jammed in the corner in order to see the TV. The air went off every few hours during the night causing me to wake up in a humid summer sweat. I really was not impressed. There was no view, the service was nothing spectacular. the location was good,

All the other reviews may have been more positive because they had different rooms but there was nothing good about my room.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Intercontinental on June 30-July 2 2006. We had an excellent time.

I have stayed in NY before and the rooms are usually small. This hotel had regular size rooms that you usually find elsewhere besides New York.
You walk into the room. There is parquet wood flooring. The bathroom is marble. There is a large closet with a regular door so the closet is fairly large.
The beds are pillowtop with light down comforters and pillows. There is a mini-bar, coffee service, and a small safe in the room.

We used the parking service which was $45 a night. Everyone was very helpful. The bell captain held our luggage after check-out so we could spend 4 more hours in NY. The doorman was nice and held our car while we finished our lunch in the lobby of the hotel.

I got a great price for under $150 on a discount website.

The hotel is located a block or so from the Subway. There many little places to get coffee and breakfast ( as opposed to the hotel). We also had drinks one night at Whiskey Blue at the W which was extremely close to our hotel.

My friend goes to NY every year and she said she will go back to the Inter-continental instead of the other hotel she usually visits.

My friend and I would stay there again and might go back next year.

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

First the positives... the location of this hotel is great. It is on the nicer, more up market west side of midtown and the shops of 5th Avenue are just a short stroll away and major tourist attractions such as the Empire State Building, Times Square etc are all within walking distance. Grand Central Station is a short 5 min walk (and the hotel even has an underground walkway connecting to the station if its raining and you don't want to get wet!). Grand Central is the closest subway stop to the hotel, and covers all major lines so travelling to other parts of the city is also easy.

The rooms are nice and fairly spacious for a New York hotel...and the pillows are the comfiest I have ever experiened!

Now for the negatives....the staff on the front desk are generally very helpful and if anything goes wrong and the hotel is at fault, they will go out of their way to sort things out for you. However, check in can take ages as there are never enough staff on reception to deal with all the guests. If you're staying at the hotel as a tourist you will feel like a second class citizen compared to the way the business guests are treated. Also, food and drink in the hotel is ridiculously over priced and annoyingly there is no fridge in the room so that you can buy your own.

Having said all that I would stay at the hotel again as the location simply cannot be beaten!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

This hotel is really lovely, rooms are big and comfortable and well situated for visiting all the sights. Generally all the staff are really helpful and friendly with the one exception of the doorman with the moustache - on our last day he put our bags in to the cab for us then proceeded to shove his face right up against the window and ask if we were going to sort him out, we told him that unfortunately we had no more change being that we were on our way to the airport and he became very rude and broke my friends case whilst chucking it into the cab. Generally I am happy to tip if someone has provided a good service but to have a reaction like this from someone who is paid anyway to provide a service left us with rather bad feeling at the end of an otherwise really enjoyable trip. If you encounter him - don't tip him - he is a rude individual!!

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

As a Platinum Ambassador cardholder for the IC hotels, you are given a guaranteed room upgrade, water and fruit upon arrival, a welcome gift and that extra " personal" service

I checked in at the dedicated guest services check in area, to be told that I could only upgrade my room if I shared a bed with my 70 year old mother! The room was booked as two doubles and my mothers name was also on the booking, poor service from the off.

The room was compact, the bathroom you couldnt swing a cat in either but it was warmly furnished and had a certain ambiance in connection to the age of the hotel. There was no fruit or water upon arrival either nor welcome gift.

The breakfast was fairly generous for $24.95 each but was strangely just placed on the bar area and only a two piece toaster was supposed to provide for all the hotel guests...needless to say most mornings we went without toast....being English we enjoy a good cup of tea with our breakfast..not recommended at all, it was vile, one teabag in a pot which should have had 2/3 in.

By 11am the next day nearly 24 hours after arrival, I had to ask for the fruit and water as this never appeared. On returning back to the hotel at the end of the day, we had one small bottle provided to us, one chocolate biscuit and 3 pieces of fruit..the generoisty astounded me!(No welcome gift either)

Next morning I rang through to valet for collection of my laundry at approx 7am which for same day service should be ready by 9am-went to breakfast and queued for nearly 15 mins as the staff refused to put 2 guests at tables of 4 and didnt open the additional seating area which would have accomodated everyone. On returning to the room, the laundry had not been collected but I was confident that all was well.....mistake!! When we returned to the room at approx 6pm..there was the laundry in the same place we had left it and no-one had collected it. I called again and was called back by someone who was most insistent that I take next day laundry..I had no choice on the matter.

Upon checkout I found I had been charged for breakfast every day when it was included in the room rate and charged for mini bar which I did not consume ( I didnt even open the mini bar as I would never waste my money !! )

All in all, for an IC I was disappointed. Some of the staff were great in the restauraunt, housekeeping etc but for the cost, the service, the size of the room and location, I would recommend staying at the IC hotels lower category Crowne Plaza hotel which is in a better location, you get more for your money, however you do lose out on the 1930's ambience that the IC Barclay had.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to InterContinental New York Barclay? Share your experiences!