“Service is all!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental New York Barclay

and 1 more site!
You added InterContinental New York Barclay to your Saves list
InterContinental New York Barclay
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 East 48th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #216 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Milan, Italy
“Service is all!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Once you go to The Barclay you feel at home.
People there know how to deal with customers very well starting from the door man which call the taxi with amazing whistles!
Breakfast buffet is the best I had in my life.
Location: mid town, so basically NY walking distance from everywhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Don't stay here if you'd like the following;

1. Room Service
2. A working television remote control
3. Knowledgeable and helpful staff
4. Sound night sleep ( I could here the television from the room next door all night long)

Do yourself a favor and avoid this place at all cost, even if FREE.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental New York Barclay, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Erik B,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see that you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Dhan M
Dresser, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I recently stayed at the InterContinental New York Barclay while visiting New York. The hotel was very clean and beautifully adorned. For a New York hotel the room was spacious, and the bathroom was somewhat small but not cramped.
The bed was very comfortable and the room temperature was easy and quick to adjust.
The internet was expensive (compared to what I'm used to paying; maybe not for New York) and slow.
One odd thing about the bathroom sink was that the water handles turned in the clockwise direction (the opposite from what I'm accustomed to...) This was NOT a problem, it was just different.
I was on the 11th floor and there was little noise on the street below. 47th street was not heavily traveled, which was nice.
I was awakened at midnight on Saturday to my neighbors arriving home. The mom spent about 20 minutes chewing out her two young children, then sent them to the bathroom for baths (where she periodically yelled to them). Then the husband came home and there were more discussions. Then the kids decided they wanted to chat and would not go to sleep. At first I thought the mom was using an overly loud voice, and that was why the sound traveled so well through the wall. However, once I heard the children's voices and their pre-sleep chatting, I determined that the walls were way too thin!
Overall it was a good experience except for the thin walls/noisy neighbors.

Room Tip: Pick one with no neighbors!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Found this Interconintental to be very deteriorated ... Every piece of furniture is scratched , bathroom smelled like urine everyday even after mentioning this to front desk , we found the ironing board every day left in the middle of the room and also our glasses never got even returned to the bathroom. Air conditioning wasn't on any of the days we went back and the room had also a funky smell ... When we approached the person at the front desk with all these comments , he literally gave us the feeling he could not care less about our stay. Really not a nice stay

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental New York Barclay, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Karinamireles,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at InterContinental New York Barclay, NY . It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I just stayed here over the weekend, and had a pleasant experience. The room was big enough, certainly for a NYC hotel it was large, and clean, the bathroom was small, but also clean. Location was great, in walking distance of everything, I'd recommend going to the top of Rockefeller Center, which was just a few blocks away. Also, we were able to leave our luggage with the hotel the day we checked out, while we went to a Yankees game, at no extra charge.

To address other's issues I read, I didn't use the wifi, and can't imagine who would on vacation, although it would be necessary for a business trip, but in that case, just expense it right? It wasn't noisy, at least not the room I stayed in, but the walls were thin. The people next to us were loud while we were getting ready to go out Saturday night (around 6PM), but I just turned my music on, and then I couldn't hear them anymore, and it wasn't a problem at night or in the morning. The place didn't look "tired" to me, it wasn't new, but it was kept up nicely, and I would call it antique or classic looking, not "old". I read on Wikipedia, both Earnest Hemingway, and Bill Clinton stayed there, and I thought that was very cool.

Overall, a great stay, and I would both recommend this place, and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Overall the experience I had at the Intercon was great, I try to stay with their chain when I travel. Even though the hotel was starting its big renovation project and lacked several of the services they made up for it with customer service and attention to detail. The beds were extremely comfortable and they had blackout curtains which helps the jetlag! The food at breakfast was a bit overpriced with items like an Omelette for over $25. Breakfast for 2 can cost you over $70! I found it much better to go find a local diner or cafe and have 2 people eat for $25! However you expect highly priced food at hotels. Again this hotel is great, i can't wait to see what the renovations have in store. If you are looking for an area with nightlife though be prepared to take a cab or hop on the subway as mid-town shuts down after 6pm!

Also the Wi-Fi is free now to all IHG members and the speed was reliable!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Arrived and found out the hotel was due to close in 2 weeks for a 12 month refurbishment so they had removed the in room entertainment and mini bar without notifying us on booking or check in. Room was ok, needs the plans upgrade. Bathroom average and the bath plug did not drain unless you held open. Great location though 5-10 walk from all the shops on 5th avenue and the lady on concierge was very helpful.

Stayed July 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental New York Barclay, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Surreyladies2013,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and appreciate your compliments regarding our great location and staff helpful. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Been to InterContinental New York Barclay? Share your experiences!