“An Authentic and Traditional New York Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental New York Barclay

You added InterContinental New York Barclay to your Saves list
InterContinental New York Barclay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 East 48th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #202 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Pepper Pike, Ohio
“An Authentic and Traditional New York Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel is quintessential New York. Built in the 20's in a Federal Style architecture, this hotel still feels and exudes all that is great about old New York. It's lobby is beautifully decorated, spacious and bustling with activity. The uniformed staff employees are almost all New Yorkers and are lifelong employees of this hotel. They are homegrown as their accents and banter clearly reveal. The service and wait staff is a melting pot of neighborhoods and cultures found only in NY. They are all friendly and anxious to serve you. After all they want you to spend your money with them but it feels very sincere. Walking into the lobby is like an oasis in a city that has become overwhelmed with pedestrian traffic and international tourists.

I stayed in a new room that I believe is a prototype for a planned renovation. It was very well designed and thoroughly thought out. Large flat screen with crystal clear reception Murals of the Hudson and art from depicting New York scenes. The lamps, linens, bathroom features and amenities were greatly improved from the Old Barclay. Allot of attention was obviously paid to modern travelers need for convenient plugs to recharge electronics etc. Room service was quick and an excellent value. The big expense other than the room are the parking fees of $60 a day but that 's the standard rate in NYC these days. The health club is small but has top end equipment for a quick workout. I really like this hotel and recommend it whenever someone wants an authentic, traditional New York experience. If they go through with the rumored renovation, The Barclay will re-emerge as one of New York's finest hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
NYCBrkly, Manager at InterContinental New York Barclay, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Congratulations for this lovely comment. I guess we share the same feelings and hopes about the Intercontinental New York Barclay.
Thank you for these adorable words.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very pleased with our choice of hotel every member of staff was polite and couldn't do enough for you
The hotel was spotless there are faults but with an hotel of its age you expect that
food was first class my only gripe is the wifi costs a little dear 3days worth is more then I would pay for my own internet for a month at home
But would love to come back again

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor less traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, Thank you for this stunning comment, it goes straight to the heart.
We will soon make the WI-FI more accessible for All !

Executive office
Stirling, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights last weekend and found the hotel to be a nice, pleasant enough place but we wouldn't return. The room size was good and clean but a little tired looking. Only real gripe was the size and old style of the bathroom - just old really and in need of an update. We used room service on one occasion as we were too tired to venture out and pleased to say food was really lovely, but overpriced. Also mini bar prices were just silly - 7 dollars for can of juice!! Also no tea facility in room but coffee machine was available. Location was fine and kind of Central to walking around all the tourist bits midtown. We liked it, but not great. Stayed in Westin previously and found that to be better for sure. Had a fantastic time in New York and hotel worked out fine. Also good that was able to print our boarding passes, but shame wifi wasn't free.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Audrey,

It is nice to hear you had a pleasant stay with us.
Your feedback on the room and bathroom size is often shared by our customers and we understand your feeling. As I was saying earlier to Nomadicjansen, our Dear New York Barclay is an old building, but we do have larger rooms too and Suites that are magnificent.

We sincerely hope to welcome you in a near future maybe in one of our lovely Suites.
If you feel like coming back, contact us at the Executive Office and let us know !

Executive office
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel a few weeks ago. As always, check in is fast, and rooms are pretty good. Not super modern, rather traditional in style and furniture, but everything is comfortable, the bed and pillows are great, wifi is fast, and i always feel specially treated as an ambassador member, for which i pay a decent annual membership. Bathrooms are not large, rather pretty small though, but work fine. Walls between rooms could be thicker. Sometimes you can even hear your neighbour whem he talks, and depending on what room you get, you can basically listen all what your neighbour says.. Although better for business than tourism, given its location you see many tourists too. Not as fancy and young as the W nextdoor, the Intercontinental NY Barclay attracks all types of customers, but all have to have in common an ability to pay good money for the night. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for. Location could not be better, and it's easier to get taxis in 48th st than on hotels that are in Park Ave or Lexington Ave. I am a recurrent visitor of this hotel

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
NYCBrkly, Manager at InterContinental New York Barclay, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
What a great comment !Thank you
The words "feel specially treated" really bring us huge satisfaction. It is true that the hotel is antique and that makes the Barclay a part of the history of New York. We are glad to feel your affection for the Barclay through your comments.
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The Junior suite offered a jacuzzi and it was an ideal place to relax. The saff were there to help. There is no Club lounge, so no free breakfast for Platinum Ambassadors, but upgrades are nice! Many places to go out for meals available in the vicinity.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Platinum Ambassador member
Thank you for the shining title and rating you give to the Barclay. I'm proud to share your kind comments with the teams.

The Executive Office
River Falls, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Recently stayed at the Intercontinental on business and was generally happy with the room, especially outside of the bathroom. Internet service was expensive - $16.95 a day - but fast. Good sized working area and lots of electrical outlets, both at the desk and both nightstands. Bed was comfortable, good but not great. The bathroom was reasonably sized for a older hotel, but the water pressure in the shower was horrible. This really detracted from the stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We are pleased to read your global experience at the Barclay was satisfying.
The New York Barclay is a place of history and heritage, and although we do our best to maintain and pamper our historic building we apologize that a lack of water pressure occurred . Rest assured we will look into this matter and get it fixed.
Thank you for letting us know and see you soon at the Barclay.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

As an Intercontinental Ambassador and IHG platinum level guest I was disappointed in the way I was treated by the front desk when I checked in. I tried checking in at 3:00 and was told that I would not receive an upgrade from my executive king (even though Ambassador level guarantees a one level upgrade) and that my room would not be ready until after 5:00. When I explained I was an ambassador he shrugged his shoulder and walked off. So much for brand loyalty!

I also had dinner in the restaurant and was seated next to a party of 50+. After receiving my meal no one came back to check on me, provide water or ask if I needed anything else. After waiting close to an hour I flagged down a manager to get my check. I could have easily walked out and not paid and would never have been missed. I told the manager all that had happened and he provided me his business card for a free drink at the bar. Next time I will walk out!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
NYCBrkly, Manager at InterContinental New York Barclay, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I am sorry and very disappointed that we let you down so badly. Clearly, your stay fell well short of the standards you rightly expected. I would very much like to rebuild your trust in The Barclay. Our focus is to make our guests feel home providing a high standard service.
I have sent you a private message and really look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Been to InterContinental New York Barclay? Share your experiences!