We have been traveling to NYC for the US Open for years and have stayed at the W New York, The Waldorf Astoria and the Marriott Eastside in the past. All of these hotels are in the same general location on Lexington. This year, rates were good for the Intercontinental Barclay so we thought we'd try it. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed and would not stay here ever again.
There are 2 postives to this hotel:
Location- This hotel is in a great location. It's an easy walk to Grand Central and the 51st/53rd street subway stations. It is close to 5th avenue, St. Patricks Cathedral and really centrally located for many attractions. The other hotels I mentioned all are in the same location though so there are other options that fit this bill.
Concierge- The concierge at this hotel was very good. We asked them for a few things and they were cheerful, helpful and knowledgeable.
Unfortunately, the rooms need updating. The bathtub was peeling and generally everything seemed like it needed refreshing.
We stayed here during the US Open and this hotel is a location where many people stay associated with the tournament (ie Jr players, media etc). The primary reason for our disappointment is that on Saturday and Sunday night, they had issues with their cable provider and we were unable to watch the US Open matches on TV. This would never happen at the W, Waldorf or Marriott. When we called the front desk to make sure it wasn't something we were doing wrong, we were told that they are having a service provider issue and there is nothing they can do. We thought maybe they would get it fixed for Sunday but to our surprise they didn't do anything to accomodate all the people staying at their property in NYC for this tournament. There were many guests dissatisfied with this.
All of the other hotels in the area not only make sure they have this available, they also broadcast it in the bars and lobby and really make it a fun atmosphere. We attend the live event during the day and look forward to relaxing in the evening and following the matches from our room. We had to stream it on our lap top to watch this year which was just not the same. For this reason, we will never stay here during the US Open again. We'll go back to one of the other 3 properties who are more welcoming and prepared to host visitors for this international sporting event.
Come on Intercontinental Barclay, we had high hopes for you! To compete for business during this event you need to get your act together. Again, we are visitors every year for this tournament. There is alot of competition for business in the area so why stay here when you can get it all somewhere else?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental New York Barclay is currently under renovation. The entire building is being refurbished and will reopen by fall 2015. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Expedia so you can book your InterContinental New York Barclay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental New York Barclay Hotel New York City
- Intercontinental New York City
- Intercontinental Barclay New York
- New York City Intercontinental
- Barclay New York
- Barclay Hotel New York
- Intercontinental Barclay Hotel New York