“Melia at Front Desk is AMAZINGLY helpful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan

You added Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1605 Broadway, 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #147 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Melia at Front Desk is AMAZINGLY helpful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I am a travel agent that booked a group into the Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan with 7 rooms for end of July in May. The service then was impeccable and the reservations staff did a great job of helping me decide the types of rooms and pricing.
When the group cancelled their NYC portion of the trip, I called the hotel reservation number and cancelled the rooms with the reservation agent but did not cancel all of them per Melia when she called to confirm that I was bringing the group to the hotel the day of arrival.
I was shocked that these reservations were not cancelled, however, when I looked at the confirmation numbers, they were still live reservations. Melia was gracious when I explained that I thought I had cancelled the rooms however, I could see they were not.
She told me that she would cancel these without a penalty due to the fact that she did show some rooms cancelled with reservations but not all so it may have been their error.
This was very generous of Melia and she has won a loyal travel agent and customer with her AMAZINGLY helpful attitude. She could have made this a major issue for me to resolve, however, she displayed a most helpful attitude and has won a client for life!
Thanks to Melia, as I have regular groups booking into NYC, Crowne Plaza will be my first suggestion to the clients as the most customer friendly hotel in Manhattan!
Appreciatively,
Mark

Room Tip: Ask for the Times Square side for the views!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the wonderful comments! I'm sure Melia will be thrilled to read this. I'm glad you got the situation sorted out. We'll be glad to have you and your clients stay on site with us. We hope to see you here soon, as well! Until then have a happy summer and be safe!

Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Collinsville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The hotel was just fine until we got to experience the management. We called for a wake up call on the first night. After we called we noticed there is a table tent that says if you don't get your wake-up call your stay that evening is complimentary. We kind of laughed that it would be cool if they didn't call and we got a free night (let me point out that we are NOT people who are always looking for a freebee at ALL, we were just commenting that it would be funny). Ironically, we did not get our wake-up call the next morning. It wasn't a big deal, we woke up for the conference in time anyways. However, we informed the front desk that we didn't get our call and that there is a sign that says if you don't, your room is comped. This seamed to be news to the person at the desk. Then we got passed to 4 or 5 different people and were promised that the manager would take care of the issue and to check back in tomorrow. Again, we weren't looking for a free room and it wasn't a huge deal that we didn't get our call, BUT if you put a sign out that says "if we don't call you, your night is free" then you should honor that. That's just good business. So long story short, our room was never comped. They did however give us 4 comp drinks... for three people.

When we got back i got a survey invitation, so I answered it honestly. I get a response "On behalf of our staff, we apologize for your concern. I have addressed your comment with our team members and we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. Here's 45,000 points on your PC card as our apology." blah, blah, blah It's just insulting at this point. Don't set policies that you're not going to honor. Won't be staying with a Crown Plaza again just for the principle!

And hotel management, please don't bother with some cookie cutter response expressing your appreciation for my comments that you're not going to actually do anything about. That's just a waste of everyone's time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Hi LeahJ0327,

Let me start off by apologizing for your experience here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. As you can imagine, we strive to provide the best service you can expect and we failed you in that aspect. My sincerest apologies. However, the 45,000 points issued to are equivalent to a free night at any of our IHG properties. Once again, that isn't an excuse to defend the service you received. I'd be glad to speak to you in more detail if you wish. You can e-mail me at Sabid@cptsnyc.com. Hope to discuss your concerns further.

Regards,

Social Media Manager
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Nice hotel though dated. We stayed on 38th floor and had good views of city and Hudson River, however room itself very dated, though comfortable. Central hotel, very busy but good area to be in. Breakfasts good though service very slow. Some staff on reception helpful and concierge service very good. I would stay here again, however would request a better room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Hi kb_chapman,

Thank you very much for your review. We're disappointed to hear you weren't 100% happy with your stay. We are currently going through a multi-million dollar refresh. On your return stay, please e-mail me at Sabid@cptsnyc.com so we may provide you with the service and room you deserve. Hope to hear from you soon!

Guest Services Manager
Nanaimo, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at The Crowne Plaza and were very happy with our stay. The room was spacious and clean, check in was a breeze and we were so close to everything. We loved the location! I left an IPad in the room, called the next day, it was recovered and Fed Exed back to me. I was impressed with the honesty of the housekeeping staff, particularly Maria C Pucha for returning it to Lost and Found. Thank you to Al Valdes (security) for returning it to me. First class service from a First Class hotel. Well Done!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello JohnsonFamily!

We're so glad you had a good time here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. I'm glad we were able to get your iPad back to you! We're here to provide the best service we possibly can. We hope to see you again soon!

Fatena Williams
Front Office Director
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I decided not to stay at my usual hotel because when I was there a couple of months ago, they were renovating their lobby and it was a total pain. Instead I decided to give the Crowne Plaza a try based on a recommendation from a family member. The price was great, the location (near the theaters) was great, and the service was great (especially housekeeping). The room, unfortunately, was so-so. Seemed tired and dated, and the shower head was downright awful (sort of trickled water and dripped constantly). I still think they deserve a recommendation. Just have realistic expectations.

Hi Kdec_austin,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We're so happy to hear about your stay. I'm disappointed that you weren't happy with your room. We're currently going through a multi-million dollar refresh currently, so you'll be impressed with our rooms very soon. We hope you give us another chance very soon!

Guest Services Manager
Brampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights at the hotel and loved every minute of our stay! A BIG thank you to Brunilda at the front desk for all of her help in checking in! Our corner room was very large and had a beautiful view of the River! All of the staff made our 10th anniversary trip to New York City a very special one!! Excellent service!!

• Stayed July 2014
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hi EmandKae,

Thanks much for the review! Brunilda will be thrilled to know that she was able to make your anniversary a bit more memorable. We can't wait to have you back! Let us know when you're coming so we can prepare accordingly.

Fatena Williams
Front Office Director
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Everything was amazing. The property was amazing, the room was stunning, the service wasn't bad (though it didn't blow me away because sometimes we requested things and they never came). The room needed some repairs (cracked bathtub), but they did everything in their power to fix the problem. Get a corner room, its worth it. And it looked like the very high floors, and the lower floors were more renovated then the middle floors (newer doors, better looking exits from the elevator). The Buffet was modest at best, the selection was decent, but if you are looking for omelettes and quality lunches, skip the buffet and just buy regular breakfast item by item. Actually, if the breakfast wasn't included in your rate for $1 more (there was a promo that had breakfast buffet for 2 for an extra $1), don't get the buffet. Or, if you want a quick lunch, they have a new amazing cafe in the lobby. It is amazing (get the pecan sticky bun! It is just amazing). They gave us a lot of comps due to the late check in, but I was very happy with what they did because of it. Everything was amazing, and even though there were several problems, they fixed them all ASAP. Thanks for a great trip. Room 3315 July18th-22nd. PS. Late checkout may or may not be available, and we were lucky enough to get until 1:30pm, the fitness centre wasn't owned by the hotel and there was a $10 entry fee, unless if you were an IHG rewards member, and the wifi was $15 a night unless if you were and IHG rewards member. Also, DONT GET A CAR IN NEW YORK!!! You really don't need it. You have uber, sidecar, lyft, taxi's, the subway, and the busses that over run the city. If you have a car, chances are you wont be going anywhere quickly due to traffic, and its $50 a night for parking with no in and out privileges. You can walk everywhere. Thanks for a great stay. Overall- 4.5/5 stars.

Room Tip: Corner rooms, request a renovated room, note that the higher the floor the less water pressure, and...
Hi Austin!

Wow, thank you for that detailed review. We really do appreciate it. We're so happy to hear that your stay was a positive one. Also, you're absolutely right! We are currently going through a multi-million dollar refresh of our rooms and hallways. So you'll be seeing a very welcomed change very soon. The Grab & Co is a fantastic choice for those on the run or in a hurry. We're so glad you got to try our facilities on property. We'd be happy to have you again, Austin. Please visit us again soon!

Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director

Been to Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan? Share your experiences!