“Great views and comfortable room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1605 Broadway, 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special New York Savings!
Ranked #144 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Halifax, Canada
“Great views and comfortable room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was able to find a great rate for this hotel and couldn't have more pleased with the room and the value. I had requested a corner room (recommended by other reviewers) and had a view of both Times Square and the Hudson - The room was very large and the bed was very comfortable. Our great rate also included a hot buffet breakfast each day of our stay for just a dollar :) The food and selection was excellent. This was a great experience and we recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: request a corner room on a high floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
NStevens 1234, thank you for recommending our hotel! We appreciate the time you took to write a review and are pleased to know you were satisfied with the room, the value, and the restaurant as well. Our corner rooms are, as you stated, pretty awesome because of the views. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Putney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Room was an OK size. Bathrooms were very dated and in fairly poor condition. Shower was feeble and took a while to coax any sort of hot water out of it.

The Fitness Centre is an odd set up. They charge $10, which can only be paid by credit card (and cannot be charged to the room). What they don't advertise readily is that Priority Club members get free access. However, you need to show a Priority Club room key and not the card itself. Talk about making life difficult.

Front desk service was bordering on rude. The lady who checked me out urgently needs to go to charm school, or have a personality transplant.

On the positive side, it was at least quite cheap - perhaps corporate rates post Sandy are unusually low.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
FoxTrotOscar, thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza. I apologize for the confusion over our fitness center. It is a separate New York Sports Club so that is why the charges cannot go to the room. I also apologize for the treatment you received by the front desk agent. That is definitely not the behavior that we expect from our employees. We do hope that you chose to join us again in the future so we can show you that we are all friendly and helpful here!
Best,
Sunbury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Very professional service and check in procedure. Friendly staff helpful concierge with maps and directions. Very helpful bellboys and driveway attendants for hailing us cabs. Poor Internet connection $US 15 for 24 hours. Kept closing out. Go to McDonalds!!!! free. Four female friends shared a large double double room on 38th floor. Floors above 15 are more expensive but I believe better updated and appointed . Great corner room. Two large double beds and large bathroom. Toilet flooded once but staff attended promptly and all sorted and floors mopped and towels and shower curtain changed.
Took bathers for a swim in the pool but found a charge of $US for each use which was a pity as we were looking forward to a nice swim after a day pounding the footpaths and shops. Would be nice to have pool free use for guests.
A mention for Housemaid services lady Samia who attended our room to clean after a mix up with the notice we left on our door. The blank side does not mean clean the room please so they left it unmade, it apparently still means the same as the side that said Do not disturb. Samia came up in the evening when we arrived back and quickly and professionally did all our beds and bathroom. Left us plenty of extra towels and bottles of water to compensate. A nice lady. All in all a great location, right out the door and into the action, close walking distance to so much and cabs easy to get to other places.

Room Tip: As above. If you can afford it go above floor 15 for more recent updates and great views. Beds ver...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Evie002, we are pleased that you had taken the time to write such a great review of our hotel! Samia, as well as our other staff greatly appreciates your positive feedback regarding the service you had received. We do apologize for the internet connection closing out. We will be sure to work with our provider to ensure this does not happen again and we hope to see you in the future!

Sincerely

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Great hotel, great service, great location. Call client care, their there. All staff were more than helpful. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you Mat110 for your “GREAT” review! We are delighted to hear that you found our staff, location, and property all to be so helpful during your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Best
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from the 25th of October 2012 and were scheduled to leave on the 31st.
When we arrived, the room was very small and somewhat dated, however, we were not planning on spending much time there so no real problem. The sink was broken, which was repaired within 20 minutes and the safe did not work. Again an engineer came to fix the safe but declared that it needed replacing. To their credit, it was replaced within a couple of hours and we were offered a free deposit box in the meantime. All good so far. We were unable to properly secure the window after opening it. We didn't report it, as it was not a problem (until the hurricane).
Once the hurricane arrived, I'm afraid that the hotel saw an opportunity to make some easy money.
Our flight was cancelled and, Initially, we could not get confirmation as to when it would be rescheduled. We spoke with the hotel, who agreed to let us stay on, at $279 per night plus taxes. They recommended that they would continue the booking on a daily basis and asked that we let them know as soon as we had our flight date confirmed.
After 24 hours we were locked out of the room. I was then told that we had been checked out of the room and the hotel was now full (it was also marathon weekend). The hotel said that they had no idea where our belongings had gone. After some negotiation, I was then told that we could have our room back, but the price had gone up to $349 plus taxes, this despite the fact they could not provide any hot water. They did, however, provide a free breakfast the following day, as I think they did for every guest. Surprisingly, our belongings were where we had left them.
As soon as I had a date for our flight (November 6th) I advised the hotel and extended the booking until then. I had specifically requested that, in the event we were found an earlier flight, we could alter the booking with no penalties, and was assured it was "no problem".
Once we got an earlier flight, (November 4th) I again confirmed we could check out early and was assured that we wouldn't be charged for the nights we were not staying. I was also assured that checking out in the early hours was not a problem.
When we did check out, they could not provide me with a bill, as the computers were down. I was assured that they would email it to me.
When I received the email, I saw that I had been charged for the 5th and 6th of November. I must say that I was not too surprised by that time.
I did spend almost a full day and spent a lot of money, trying to call the hotel in order to discuss the problem. I would either get directed to someone who could not deal with my complaint or they just hung up.
I have registered my complaint with the hotel group and was assured, after providing both my home and mobile telephone numbers, that they were required to respond within 48 hours.
That was on November 5th and I still have heard nothing.
We were unfortunate to have visited the city at the same time as a hurricane. That did not spoil the trip and we were amazed by the way in which the locals coped. But What was to have been a special trip for our family, descended into chaos simply by the hotel cashing in on the hurricane. The cleaning staff, however, were excellent throughout our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Marc C, I truly apologize for all of the confusion during your stay. I can assure you that it was never our intention to take advantage of our guests because of the storm. Superstorm Sandy was a tragedy for all of us and we did the best we could to keep everyone comfortable and to be fair regarding cancellations and early departures. I hope by the time you read this response you have heard back from one of our associates. If not, please reach out to me directly and I will discuss the issue of your charges with my accounting department.
Best,
Caren Heller
Director of Front Office
Marienfeld, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza from the 27th of October for 6 nights during a difficult time for the hotel during Superstorm Sandy and we were most impressed with the service. When the heating and hot water went off we did not complain and the service was excellent. Unfortunately, upon arriving home some of the contents of our suitcases had been stolen.They disappeared during the last day of our stay whilst we were at breakfast. Despite contacting the hotel directly and contacting the Crowne Plaza group, the hotel refused to reply. Eventually the Crowne Plaza Guest relations said that the items had ``not been located". In future I would appreciate if items would ``not be removed from my suitcase`` in the first place! An excellent hotel to stay at, but beware of leaving unattended suitcases in the hotel room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Jon G, I understand how you must feel and I greatly apologize for the loss of those items. I will investigate the matter and will be sure to touch base with you. Would you kindly forward us your email to me at cheller@cptsnyc.com so we could touch base? We would also like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and how we made a great impression on the service we delivered to you. We look forward to having you as a guest in the future!
Caren Heller
Director of Front Office
Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Got an excellent deal on this hotel for my mid-week stay in Manhattan. Room was typical NYC, small but nicely appointed. Location is right in Times Square so it is very convenient. Breakfast was ridiculously expensive. Go outside the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you Jonathan L, for reviewing our hotel! We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms and the convenience of being in the heart of time square. Our breakfast prices are decided based on the comeptitve hotels in the area. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!
Hotel Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan? Share your experiences!