“Satyed During Sandy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1605 Broadway, 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #143 of 452 hotels in New York City
San Ramon, California, United States
“Satyed During Sandy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had planned on attending a conference at the hotel, however, it was cancelled after I arrived due to Hurricane Sandy. Despite all that was happening in the area the staff was very helpful and nice. I experienced no problems until the last morning when there was no hot water due to Con Ed shutting it off at midnight.

The room was spacious and the area (close to time square) is perfect for shows and restaurants. Even during Sandy some things remained open.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mlowden, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Roy N, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! Although Hurricane Sandy greatly affected the New York City area, it was our goal to keep our guests as comfortable as possible. We are grateful for your understanding of the situation presented by Con Edison’s decision to close our steam pipes. On behalf of the team at the Crowne Plaza Times Square, we hope your travels bring you back to us soon!

Warm Regards,

4,810 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (993)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
long beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have lost my car and my house through Hurricane Sandy. FEMA has given me vouchers so that we have a place to stay at a hotel in the city while we are homeless. There is a website set up with hotels that are supposed to accept reservations in advance to ensure that you have a place to stay each day.
This hotel is not willing to help at all.
They want me to travel with all of my things that I have to their hotel to do a first come first serve basis.
It is rude, and mean to do to people especially when other hotels are taking reservations...but are already full.
It is the holiday season and I still have no where to go with my wife from Friday on.
Would have been nice to be more helpful instead of repeating the same dumb thing over and over again.
Have a bit of compassion...you are nice and warm behind your desk... I have nothing.
Thanks

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear rachel b,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed in this hotel a week ago for 3 nights with my 2 daughters and grandaughter. It's obviously a city hotel so doesn't really have the ' personal touch ' but I have stayed at many city hotels before and know this. The reception and bar staff were very polite and helpful, giving excellent service. Before we left England we requested 2 connecting rooms which they confirmed straight away and we were very pleased with this so we could all be together. The rooms are clean and the beds extremely comfortable. One of the hairdryers didn't work, i phoned housekeeping and they dealt with it immediately.
This is my 3rd visit to New York and I have stayed twice here. It is pricey but very central, and a price you would expect to stay in a major city. Personally I wouldn't stay in Times Square again as I would rather see the outer neighbourhoods i.e Greenwich village, but for the 1st time visitor, inc. my party, it is ideal, just a few steps and you are in the thick of it. All in all a good experience and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a comfortable stay, good service and central location. I would advise people to eat away from Times Square as it is more expensive and there are some great restaurants a walk away and more authentic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Sheila r, thank you for your review! We are delighted you were able to enjoy your stay with us! Our staff takes pride in what we do and appreciate that you had a comfortable stay with good service and a central location. There are definitely a lot of restaurants in the area to choose from. Next time you are in the area, stop by for a free drink on us!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently spent 8 days at Crowne Plaza Times Square. Expensive but I understand all hotels in this location are. We were there during cyclone Sandy so understandably service not 100% but under the circumstances not bad. We had no hot water for a few days but again completely understandable. Metro closed so was great being such a central location. We didn't take a cab or any public transport the whole time. Literally across the road from theatres that we went to. Restaurants everywhere so we only ate in the hotel once. That was ok. The room was on the 49th floor and very comfortable and spacious (thankyou Tom at front desk). Would definately recomment Crowne Plaza Times Square but I think if we do visit Manhattan again probably wouldn't stay in Times Square. Very touristy! We spent a couple of nights at a hotel in Soho when we first arrived in New York but moved due to the hurricane, no power etc but loved that part of Manhattan and look forward to going back there

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write an awesome review for our hotel, Donna C! We are pleased that you had enjoyed your stay and were within the close proximity to the theaters you had visited. Tom greatly appreciates your recognition and like our entire staff, was ecstatic that we made your stay an enjoyable one! We look forward to your next stay with us!!
Atascadero, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

got to the hotel a day after Sandy and managed to obtain a room due to a cancellation, 42nd floor, wonderfully clean large room. No hot water due to the storm. Front desk manager was helpfull, gracious, and could not have been nicer. Lovely hotel, cafe was great in the morning for coffee and ..... Good pre-show prefix dinner too. This was our 3rd stay in a Crowne Plaza hotes (Long Beach, ca and Milan Airport, Italy) We are very happy with our experiences, each stay had one or more unexpected delights during our stay, the staff has always been wonderful...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you fannie222 for your wonderful review of our property! I am so happy to hear that the Crowne Plaza is a top choice for you when you are traveling! I am also glad you were able to obtain a room with us despite the storm. Hopefully you join us again soon under better weather conditions!
Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel is brilliant , ideal location, clean, tidy, good food, great bar but what makes it stand out is the staff and how they make you feel.

All the staff went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible, the service from bar and breakfast staff was quick and efficient.

This Hotel makes you feel welcome and safe, and when chaos was happening with hurricane sandy we were kept well informed but not make to feel any sense of panic.

Can't wait to visit New York again and my kids enjoyed this holiday saying it was the best ever. Don't think twice if you are looking for a central, safe , friendly, modern hotel .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Moshi09uk, thank you for your terrific review! I am sorry that you were here during the storm, but I am glad you were able to make the best of it! It is nice to see that our staff was able to make that happen for you. It is our goal to make you feel safe and comfortable, no matter what is going on around us! I hope you join us again soon when the skies are sunny!
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for 6 sad nights whilst in NY on business. Booked concierge room category assuming the rate would offer value for money! Bad Move. the breakfast was pathetically small and offered no normal options such as capuccino etc- I had thought the " canapes" would include, like comparable rooms at other Crowne Plaza's, druinks - wrong again. waited 30 minutes for porter on day of departure and then was expected to tip him ( even though he delayed us !) as well as the doorman and the extra guy who pushed the luggage trolley. Clearly the occupancy rate due to location has made this a tired and unfriendly place. Location is OK but forget the rest and look at otehr , more friendly options!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you maddie1957 for this feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Crowne Plaza was not up to our standards. Our hotel rates are priced competitively with the other hotels in the area and I am sorry to hear that you did feel you received your money’s worth. Please contact me at cheller@cptsnyc.com as I would be happy to discuss further with you.

Caren Heller
Director of Front Office

Been to Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan? Share your experiences!