“I don't expect too much of a Grand Hyatt, but this was really awful.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #260 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dubai, Uae
“I don't expect too much of a Grand Hyatt, but this was really awful.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The whole experience from start to finish was extremely sub-par.

1. Checking in takes an extremely long time because they are understaffed for such a large hotel. We are diamond members of the Hyatt loyalty program and there is no special counter.

2. Checkin time is extremely late - 4PM. We mentioned we were arriving at 8am on an overnight flight from Dubai and asked to have an earlier check in. Needless to say, we arrived, and nothing. There is no spa or fitness center to shower in while waiting. We asked them to call us when the room was ready. No one called until finally at 2PM, we called them, and they said the room was ready.

3. Rooms are tiny. Bathrooms are super cheapo. Flimsy shower curtain. The toilet flush is a foot pedal like a public bathroom. Practically no amenities - not even a shower cap.

4. Rooms are only serviced once per day.

5. On multiple calls to various departments, front desk, valet, housekeeping, bell desk, no one would answer.

6. I needed an evening dress steamed and they didn't have a steamer.

7. In the morning, cleaning people would talk outside of room in extremely loud voices, waking us up.

8. Prior to checkout I called the front desk to ask them to prepare the bill. They couldn't do it without me coming to front desk.

Overall, I would say this is a 3 star hotel at best that charges 5 star prices. I would never come back or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The best thing about the Grand Hyatt is the location - right next to Grand Central station is very handy for both Subway and Bus to/from the airports.
The rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable.
Not much of a view from the room.
Staff that we met were very friendly & helpful.
Only complaint is they charge $2 to store a bag after you check out.
Would stay here again in future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

this is a convention hotel. its huge so i wouldnt reccomend it for a personal stay as it lacks warmth and character. the bathrooms were not entirely clean (hairs left behind from previous guests). The location is the key feature....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Situated right by Grand Central Station and within easy waking distance of many attractions this hotel is well located for the traveller and business person alike.
Nice size room and very clean.
Breakfast in the restaurant was very good. Fairly small restaurant though and not a lot of seating.
Service was good.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you are used to staying in Grand Hyatts around the world, which I am lucky enough to do, this hotel is undeserving of the name to be honest. The location is unbeatable right in the thick of things and on top of Grand Central station. The room I had a was a good size (King Deluxe I believe)...and that's the good stuff out of the way. The first room I checked into stank of smoke..in a non smoking hotel...so with that I moved to another room. The room, which as I said was a good size, seemed to lack even the most basic amenities. Now there is a list of amenities that you can request but why on earth are they not in the room? None of the items you would expect in a hotel with the Grand Hyatt name. No tea or cofee making facilities, no cotton buds, no shoe cleaning cloth, no comb etc. etc. you get the idea. The shower tray was chipped and cracked (room 2727 in case you are interested) and the whole place was just tired and sub par. I thought the 24 hour market/shop on the lobby level was neat but the prices were just silly compares with the Grand Central Market with better food, better choices and better prices..about 10 yeard away. Glad I was a Patinum Hyatt member becasue I am sure I got special treatment.

Room Tip: Providing you don't mind the wait for the elevator head for the higher floors to leave the stree...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. After having just been to the Grand Hyatt in Kauai, I had high expectations. The location is great. We flew in to JFK an there is a bus service that drops you off directly across the street from this hotel. It is also easy to get back to this hotel with the subway, and you are within walking distance to Times Square and Broadway. The check-in staff was fabulous and provided great service. We had reserved a queen bed but they upgraded us with no problem to King. We did not really have a view from our room, but the room was a good size by NYC standards, and was very comfortable. The bathroom cleanliness was a 4/5 in my opinion - the rest of the room was very clean. The lobby is very cool and modern.

My only issues with this hotel were 1) the hot water ran out both mornings during my shower but came back on shortly thereafter (when I complained to the front desk, they credited me some Hyatt points). I have a feeling this may not be an unusual occurrence. Also, we returned after a show and we were hungry so we attempted to eat at the restaurant in the lobby. We waited for quite some time and nobody stopped to seat us, so we finally went into the bar and asked for service. They told us the restaurant closed 5 minutes ago (we had been waiting for a table prior to that). For our inconvenience, they gave us two bottles of water, but really, if we had received prompt service, we could have ordered food.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again. The hotel has a great location and NYC feel - I loved it for the most part.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its location which is right above Grand Central Station. The notion of service or personal attention seems to have no place at this hotel. It seems to me that there are better alternatives for the same or lower prices where they recognize that guests are real people and not just problems. The rooms are Hyatt normal but a bit faded and in need of renovation but it seems that different floors have rooms of different standards, i was paying a good rate so I expected a good room. I checked in late and sense the room I got was one off the last and least desirable.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you book is the room you get.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!