“Beautiful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #277 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
belmont
“Beautiful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently traveled to New York on Choir Tour, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt.
The rooms were comfortable, clean and quiet. The location right above Grand Central Station was perfect, just walk downstairs and hop on the subway.
The staff was amazing, except for the Bell Hops.
We arrived as a group, they were pre paid to take our bags up to our room, when the bus arrived out front, not one of them stepped forward to help.
The next morning we hired a van to take us to Costco to shop for snacks for the kids, when we arrived back at the hotel, we stood on the curb for over forty five minutes waiting for someone to help us, apparently the unions do not allow bell hops to move food, so we had to call to the mail room, when one gentleman arrived we were told it would be $10.00 per item to move, did not have too much choice had to pay the money. The entire time we stood on the curb, not one bell hop touched one piece of luggage, far cry from bell hops in San Francisco.
The room attendants were very friendly and always had our room clean by the time we arrived back at our hotel, when ever we would see one of them, they would always ask if we needed anything and if everything was ok.
I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. I have no problem moving my own luggage, saves me a few bucks! Obviously will not do a Costco run again, it was four and a half miles from our hotel , but took almost an hour to get there Traffic! If you are traveling in a large group, give the kids a debit card or cash each day, all kinds of places to get a quick bite within a block or less of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (805)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I gave my husband a trip to NYC along with attending the Mets/Cubs game (go cubs!) as his wedding present from me. He has never been to NYC before, so I wanted to make sure we were centrally located and could do lots of sight-seeing. We loved the Grand Hyatt! The staff was great and helped us figure out the subway ride to the Mets game, as well as, gave us lots of maps/tips/ etc. We flew in early (9am) and were afraid that we wouldn't be able to check in, but they already had a room available. The rooms were comfortable and the bed is SO comfortable! Bathrooms are a little small, but that's to be expected in NYC (we were in a standard King room). Grand Hyatt is right beside Grand Central, right across the street from the Chrysler Building and within walking distance from Time Square and Rockefeller Plaza. We also walked to Central Park/FAO Schwartz area-this was a far walk though... Overall a great time and would definitely stay there again!

vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Second time in this hotel. Primarily because of the location and my corporate pricing. There were no bed side lamps in my room and it took 3 days of continuous talking to the front desk to get an answer that it will stay like that. No bed lights because they are broken and they are back ordered. No suggestion of another room or alternatives.Could not pass the front desk and no one returned my calls. Bad for you Hyatt. I used to spend between a week and 10 days a year with you. I will be looking at other hotels next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great location,Very welcoming on arrival. Hotel is clean and smart,handy for all the attractions . Room was well spaced out and comfortable,plus wifi was great valve for money.Grand Central Station was next door to catch train all over New York

Room Tip: Room 1584 away from lifts and good size
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

A caveat up front - when I say decent value in the title it's only because I was paying my company's corporate rate, which is admittedly almost one half less than the standard room rate for the room we had. But, putting that aside, we like this hotel for its convenient location, fast elevators, recently renovated rooms, and the service. The good things - the staff is very polished for a big corporate hotel. More like a boutique in terms of service. Love the very fast elevators. The gym is decent sized and has all the amenities like chilled towels, cold water, headphones, etc. Our room was probably on the large size for a standard room, and for mid-town Manhattan it was more spacious than I expected. And of course, location is great. The not so goods - the bathroom sink/shelf set up is ridiculous, who the h*ll can wash his/her face without spilling water everywhere? They need to ditch the shelf above the sink. The HVAC system fan was noisy and even on the coldest setting the room was always just a tad warm for our taste. Given its size and location the hotel hosts a lot of large groups so sometimes it's tough squeezing through the crowds in the lobby. The electronic light switches in the rooms seem to have a mind of their own, requiring frequent taps to turn on/off...... But if you can get a discounted rate through your company or AAA, or AARP or some other club, this is a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side on the upper floors. You'll be looking across Grand Central sta...
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Hotel has very welcoming, accommodating staff. Room was contemporary with a creative division between the bedroom and desk/work area with TV to accommodate both. Room was very clean, great shower/bathroom, with exceptional housekeeping. Left running shoes and realized this after traveling to Wash DC from NYC (a first "misstep" for me) and called the hotel from DC. Yes, they had my running shoes, and shipped them to me! We needed to use the business center extensively and the hotel was extremely accommodating. We weren't a bother and in fact, they made it less expensive for us.

Don't worry about staying above the Grand Central train terminal. There was no anticipated noise, distraction from the station below. In fact, in terms of the hotel location, the Grand Central terminal offered everything: food, maps, stores. The historic interior of Grand Central Station is beautiful, great photo ops and offers an upstairs lounge. Stay away during rush hour, VERY busy as you would imagine.

Don't let the address fool you, Broadway shows are not "just" down the street. The walk to the theatre district is longer than expected - the east/west blocks are much longer (about a 3 block equivalent) than the north/south blocks.You have to walk several blocks more east to the theatres. However, the hotel is so close to the Empire State Building, Crysler Building, Macy's, Harold Square (across from Macy's), Bryant Park and subways take you to SOHO, Chinatown, Little Italy. The location of this hotel combined with its superior staff makes it one of my NYC favorites. Exceeds my high expectations.

Room Tip: If you don't like the "city" noise, ask to stay on an upper floor. I've had no pro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for two weeks. Whilst the hotel has great location, this is the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. Given the price the Hyatt charges it is a disappointing experience. Considering you can negotiate a similar price at the Waldorf I would stay there in the future.

Here are a few things I observed in my stay – whilst none is a deal breaker combined it made of a poor experience I did not expect from a Hyatt hotel:
- Noise from the hallway is audible in the room
- The room is small relative to what you pay for
- The hotel is always busy day and night with the lobby full of people. It feels like the lobby is an extension of Grand Central Station with people just passing through
- The room furnishings is not great – I cut my leg on the table in the room
- They stopped restocking the bath room supplies after a few days
- There was an open half empty coke can in the mini bar from the previous guest
- It costs you $2 to keep your bags at the hotel after you check out
- There is no in room free wifi (only in the lobby)
- The bath tube drain was blocked

Room Tip: Get a room in the Waldorf instead
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!