“Not so Grand” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #262 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tallahassee, Florida
“Not so Grand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This trip to NYC was a combination business/family event so I looking for a good midtown hotel on the east which I love to stay at. I love Bryant Park. What can I say? My problem was that the trip was scheduled to be in the first week of December which is problematic as that is the beginning of peak season for Christmas shopping. It was hard to find anything, but the Grand Hyatt was at least three blocks from where I would be working that week and close enough to Fifth Avenue shopping for my wife and daughter.
Given all that, let me cut to the chase. The room I was paying for was in the upper $250-$300. In New York, that ain't gonna get you much, but I was surprised that our window view overlooked the roof of Grand Central Terminal. I love that building, although the roof isn't that spectacular, but its better than looking at a brick wall twenty-feet away as I've found in other big city hotels. The location of the hotel is wonderful. So many great shops and places to eat nearby. Always wanted to eat in the Pershing Square Cafe across the street from the Terminal. Food was great by the way. Probably more spectacular than the location was the lobby of the hotel. Its expansive and gorgeously decorated in a modern Oriental-like motif at the time. I would also like to say that the staff was excellent in checking in/out and keeping the room clean.
Now for the downside. I realize that for the room rate I was paying, that I wasn't going to get a grand suite, but damn...with two double beds for three people with luggage we were cramped as hell. The bathroom was similarly quite tiny, but what was quite surprising was the amount of noise that echoed down the hall right through our room door, or should I say, right under our door. My work that week to me through the weekend so when the Friday and Saturday night crowd showed up, it sounded like a party going on right outside my door. I'm not sure how that can be corrected...maybe tiling the walls with acoustical tiles or installing larger doors to fill the two-inch gap at the bottom of the door, I can't say for sure. With that large of a gap at the bottom of the door, I was getting really concerned as to how hefty of a bill was going to get slipped under there at check-out. Overall, the Grand Hyatt should be lucky they got an average rating from me, but I won't be staying there again. There are so many good hotels in that area that provide a better experience for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

4,185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Perfect location. Its in the center of everything, but just enough off the crazy part that your not fighting noise and crowds to get to. The central station is next door and makes it easy to get everywhere. The room was great and new. I normally would stay at a small boutique hotel, but wanted Travis to experience big NY, so this qualified.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel has a supreme location, just next to the Grand Central station, nice rooms and nice service, particularly in club level... Club floor and its lounge are great!
however, most of the non-club rooms differ in size and noise level, it is advisable to avoid lower floors. The internet is slow and quite expensive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Saint Joseph, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here numerous times on business,but this time we took our daughter and grandson(13) on Spring Break. Everything is expensive in NYC,and while the Grand Hyatt is not cheap,it's location makes up for the cost. It sits on top of Grand Central Station,and you never have to go outside to take the subway to the Statue of Liberty cruises,the 9/11 Memorial or many other tourist sites. Those that can't be reached by subway can be walked to - wonderful restaurants, Times Square, NBC tours, Today Show, all theaters,Roc Center,etc. We really didn't eat at the hotel,just coffee,etc. in the AM. It is a very busy hotel-as busy as 42nd st. That it is located on. The rooms are not large,but newly refurbished and very adequate. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt Grand Central recently with my family. Our room was a pretty spacious King room. Perhaps they go for a slightly larger room by Manhattan standards but really take it out of the bathroom because the bathroom is tiny. No room to even set down one's shaving kit except on the toilet seat next to the sink.

Having said that, the rooms are pretty decent with the standard amenities one would expect from a higher end business hotel. Location right at Midtown and next to Grand Central station means that it's right in the middle of everything and Times Sq, theatre dist, Rockefeller center, Empire State are all easy walking distance. Plus Grand central is a good subway stop to get anywhere. But this also means that this hotel is extremely busy. The lobby was very crowded everytime walking through and long waits for the elevators.

Staff was good and helpful. Instead of paying exorbitant prices for hotel food, take the quick walk over to lower level Grand Central where there are plenty of restaurants in the food court. You can get there via an interior corridor around the corner from the bottom of the escalators.

Overall, the Grand Hyatt is a busy hotel in a busy area of Manhattan. Not a bad option if location is important and intimacy is not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Claudine at the front desk helped make our 3-generation girls' Easter weekend trip a fabulous one. We switched to the Grand Hyatt at the last minute from a hotel in Chelsea due to its location, and I'm so glad we did. I booked a regular Grand King at a great senior rate (traveling with my mom and teenaged daughter) since doubles were sold out, and Claudine not only checked us in several hours early, she also upgraded us to a larger King Deluxe plus rollaway bed for no extra charge. The bathroom was larger than most (room 2631) with a nice shower and brushed glass door that separated it from the sink so that two people could share the bathroom area nicely. We had plenty of room even with the rollaway (not as comfortable as the plush king bed). Along with our wonderful upgrades, Claudine wanted to make our weekend extra special and sent a chilled bottle of wine to our room the first night and called to be sure our room was OK. The next night after my daughter arrived, she sent up sodas and pretzels along with ANOTHER bottle of complimentary wine. Wow! On top of that, she gave us a stack of coupons, each good for a free bottle of water or coffee in the lobby market/coffee shop, so we enjoyed fresh coffee every morning on the house. The market also had bananas, apples, juice, cereal, breakfast sandwiches, etc. which were quick and easy to purchase for a fast breakfast before heading out for the day.

The location next to/on top of Grand Central was perfect. We used the S (Shuttle) subway to Times Square (about 3 min. ride) to see two shows and didn't even have to go outside the hotel since there is an interior walkway from the hotel to Grand Central. We also walked back from the Empire State Building at 1:30 a.m. (about 8 blocks) and felt perfectly safe. We easily walked to the Public Library then up to Rockefeller Center, and on the last day we ambitiously walked from the hotel all the way up 5th Avenue to Central Park then up the middle of the park and over to Central Park West at 72nd where we caught a B subway back down to the 42nd St./Bryant Park station just a few blocks from the hotel. Super easy!

The large flat screen TV, safe, and mini fridge (for our leftover wine and soda) were nice touches, and our room was relatively quiet other than a few sirens. It was an interior room, so we just had a view of another side of the hotel, but we didn't care. The blackout shades were very effective when we wanted to sleep in. We definitely could hear doors slamming in the morning as other guests were leaving their rooms, but that's the case with most hotels. Express elevators to the higher floors were efficient, and although the lobby was bustling, we thought it added to the excitement of being in the city. The lobby also had a kiosk for flight check-in and boarding pass printing which was handy. For $2 per bag, they stored our luggage after efficiently checking us out so we could spend the day running around without toting our bags.

I would definitely stay here again. We were treated like royalty!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The lobby at the Grand Hyatt feels as though it really is Grand Central Station. There are so many people it has a chaotic feel - people and bags everywhere. Suprisingly, anyone can enter the lobby and then get right onto the elevators. Unlike other hotels where one must use a room key to work the elevator, this hotel allows anyone up on the floors. After one of my co-workers had an scary incident with someone trying to get into the business center without a room key while she was in there alone, I never felt quite safe in this hotel. The rooms were spacious but modern and devoid of character. My room had no bathtub - only a shower which I don't really like. All in all this hotel is just too big with too many people everywhere - restaurants, lobby, conference center. I know it is NYC but I didn't need to be reminded of it every minute in the hotel with large crowds everywhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!