“Grand Hyatt at Grand Central - Adequate business hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #262 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Grand Hyatt at Grand Central - Adequate business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt Grand Central recently with my family. Our room was a pretty spacious King room. Perhaps they go for a slightly larger room by Manhattan standards but really take it out of the bathroom because the bathroom is tiny. No room to even set down one's shaving kit except on the toilet seat next to the sink.

Having said that, the rooms are pretty decent with the standard amenities one would expect from a higher end business hotel. Location right at Midtown and next to Grand Central station means that it's right in the middle of everything and Times Sq, theatre dist, Rockefeller center, Empire State are all easy walking distance. Plus Grand central is a good subway stop to get anywhere. But this also means that this hotel is extremely busy. The lobby was very crowded everytime walking through and long waits for the elevators.

Staff was good and helpful. Instead of paying exorbitant prices for hotel food, take the quick walk over to lower level Grand Central where there are plenty of restaurants in the food court. You can get there via an interior corridor around the corner from the bottom of the escalators.

Overall, the Grand Hyatt is a busy hotel in a busy area of Manhattan. Not a bad option if location is important and intimacy is not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

4,183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Claudine at the front desk helped make our 3-generation girls' Easter weekend trip a fabulous one. We switched to the Grand Hyatt at the last minute from a hotel in Chelsea due to its location, and I'm so glad we did. I booked a regular Grand King at a great senior rate (traveling with my mom and teenaged daughter) since doubles were sold out, and Claudine not only checked us in several hours early, she also upgraded us to a larger King Deluxe plus rollaway bed for no extra charge. The bathroom was larger than most (room 2631) with a nice shower and brushed glass door that separated it from the sink so that two people could share the bathroom area nicely. We had plenty of room even with the rollaway (not as comfortable as the plush king bed). Along with our wonderful upgrades, Claudine wanted to make our weekend extra special and sent a chilled bottle of wine to our room the first night and called to be sure our room was OK. The next night after my daughter arrived, she sent up sodas and pretzels along with ANOTHER bottle of complimentary wine. Wow! On top of that, she gave us a stack of coupons, each good for a free bottle of water or coffee in the lobby market/coffee shop, so we enjoyed fresh coffee every morning on the house. The market also had bananas, apples, juice, cereal, breakfast sandwiches, etc. which were quick and easy to purchase for a fast breakfast before heading out for the day.

The location next to/on top of Grand Central was perfect. We used the S (Shuttle) subway to Times Square (about 3 min. ride) to see two shows and didn't even have to go outside the hotel since there is an interior walkway from the hotel to Grand Central. We also walked back from the Empire State Building at 1:30 a.m. (about 8 blocks) and felt perfectly safe. We easily walked to the Public Library then up to Rockefeller Center, and on the last day we ambitiously walked from the hotel all the way up 5th Avenue to Central Park then up the middle of the park and over to Central Park West at 72nd where we caught a B subway back down to the 42nd St./Bryant Park station just a few blocks from the hotel. Super easy!

The large flat screen TV, safe, and mini fridge (for our leftover wine and soda) were nice touches, and our room was relatively quiet other than a few sirens. It was an interior room, so we just had a view of another side of the hotel, but we didn't care. The blackout shades were very effective when we wanted to sleep in. We definitely could hear doors slamming in the morning as other guests were leaving their rooms, but that's the case with most hotels. Express elevators to the higher floors were efficient, and although the lobby was bustling, we thought it added to the excitement of being in the city. The lobby also had a kiosk for flight check-in and boarding pass printing which was handy. For $2 per bag, they stored our luggage after efficiently checking us out so we could spend the day running around without toting our bags.

I would definitely stay here again. We were treated like royalty!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The lobby at the Grand Hyatt feels as though it really is Grand Central Station. There are so many people it has a chaotic feel - people and bags everywhere. Suprisingly, anyone can enter the lobby and then get right onto the elevators. Unlike other hotels where one must use a room key to work the elevator, this hotel allows anyone up on the floors. After one of my co-workers had an scary incident with someone trying to get into the business center without a room key while she was in there alone, I never felt quite safe in this hotel. The rooms were spacious but modern and devoid of character. My room had no bathtub - only a shower which I don't really like. All in all this hotel is just too big with too many people everywhere - restaurants, lobby, conference center. I know it is NYC but I didn't need to be reminded of it every minute in the hotel with large crowds everywhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Grand Hyatt New York was booked at 260 a night, I was upgraded to a club room upon arrival. Great club room, breakfast was very good with lots of selections. We ate in one night and the short ribs were outstanding along with the selection of breads. Great service at the bar. The room was spacious and clean. No complaints with the bed, slept very well.

Room Tip: Get a club room, its up high enough you don't hear any noise from the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is located very conveniently right next to Grand Central Station on Manhattan, and is within walking distance of places like Times Square and Rockefeller Center.

I was first greeted by the modern and stylish lobby, then by the freshly renovated room, everything was clean, well functioning and efficient. The beds were very comfortable, and gave me very good sleep.

Service was very good, since I came in from overseas there were no problems having packages from online vendors sent to the hotel for pickup when I arrived.

A decent breakfast was available in the Grand Club.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BUENOS AIRES
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Once again in New York City, Manhattan, one of the most great cities in the US, I stayed at these Hyatt once again.
The Hotel was completely renovated, with the huge lobby now more biggest than ever!! Nice Front Desk, nice Furniture and the most important: the Staff was very helpful.
My room , a Suite, was perfect!! view to be in NYC WOW yes , I got view from my room an even my living area, two big plasma, comfy bed, fridge, coffee maker , and with lot of room to move, work or just lay in a coach to watch you favorite movie, right at the screen, listen music or reading a book at night.
I also have access to the Grand Club, so I can take breakfast, free beverages, pink salmon old day long, and everything you need for a City like NY where you are running even shopping or working all day long.
When I return at the evening the Grand Club was perfect for a drink, a soda, eat something like finger food.
Quick room service for dinner and for any inconvenience during your stay, you just call, and they are in your room in a few minutes.
Perfect area , for me the best, beside Grand Central Station, even waking distance to all tourist attractions and SHOPPING !!! one of the things I really LOVE and ENJOY at NYC.
Special thanks to my great friend, at the reservations office JORGE LAZO, thanks Jorge!!!!
He is the most helpful person i ever knew , always attending every guest one by one and make us feel like home.
I recommend this FABULOUS HOTEL

Room Tip: Corner rooms, high floor,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is an ok hotel but nothing to shout about. It's a big, impersonal hotel without much character, it's old but recently renovated. Rooms have tiny pigeon hole bathrooms. Location is good. I have stayed here a number of time so I can't be all bad.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!