“Excellent Location, Rooms are a good-size & fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #257 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, TX
“Excellent Location, Rooms are a good-size & fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Grand Hyatt New York and LOVED it! First of all, the location in mid-town Manhattan is INCREDIBLE! It's right in the middle of so many awesome things, but best of all it is NEXT DOOR to Grand Central Station! So you can get to ANY part of Manhattan in just minutes from leaving your room. This was my first trip to NY, so I was a little worried about the Subways being confusing, but the Concierge was super helpful and had a map and showed me what to do and from that first instruction, the Subways were actually very simple to understand. We got to be somewhat experts in the short 49 hours we were there.

We had a room with 2 queen beds. The room was a very good size (I was shocked at the size since I was warned most hotels in Manhattan are absurdly small with very little room to maneuver) and it was very nicely decorated. My friend and I both agreed whole-heartedly that the beds and sheets/comforter were slices of heaven. We both wished we could have a bed just like it at home, they were SOO comfortable!

The bathroom was tiny, but the lighting was excellent and the shower was hot and incredible (nice shower heads!). We had an opening window with a great view of 42nd Street (we were on the 31st floor). The maid service to the room was fabulous, and every hotel person we met (anywhere in the hotel) was friendly and helpful.

Yes, the little food/snack store in the hotel is insanely expensive, but right around the corner there is a CVS-like place and there are yummy food carts all up and down 42nd street, so don't fret about needing to eat at the snack store. Across the street there is an inexpensive 24-hour restaurant and the food there was very good. We never ate in the hotel.

Before I went on this trip, I read reviews and noticed there were worries about waiting on elevators, but we NEVER had that problem, always got one within 30 seconds.

I want to bring my husband to NYC this Summer because I know he will love it (he's never been) and when I do, I'm definitely staying at the Grand Hyatt again. Being right in the middle of everything is so great, with super easy Subway rides to Ground Zero, Times Square, Central Park, Empire State Building, and pretty much every other location fathomable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Wappinger, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed her recently for a dance competition.
Our room was a standard king.
It was really expensive even for NYC.
As far as the hotel itself the convienience factor is a huge plus since it is literally right in Grand Central Station.
The lobby was very cool and the staff was friendly.
Small room but again this is NYC so that's to be expected.
The room was clean and everything was very modern.
No wifi! Which is ridiculous for the amount of money paid.
One of my biggest problems with the room was the lighting. Our room was really dark So doing your makeup is almost impossible.
The elevators!!! Ugh!! If you are above floor 24 good luck getting there!!
First of all only the elevators on the right go all the way up. So if you don't get on one of those you have to get off and get back on. The wait for an elevator is ridiculous!!
When we were trying to check out we waited 25min and finally chose to walk down 10+ flights of stairs in fear of missing the train home.
Overall I do not feel it is worth the money.

Room Tip: Below floor 24!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hingham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Traveling as couples we really enjoyed the contemporary flair to this hotel. Clean rooms with artsy decor and very comfortable beds and seating areas. Rooms are a little small but well layed out. Bathroom was nice with upscale fixtures. Bar is also very contemporary design with lounge and sofa seating. Would definately go back! Cucumber toiletries were a bonus along with complementary toothpaste! Breakfast was adequate not amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights with my Mum and cousin in a club room

Hotel is in a good location not too far of a walk of the main areas..

Club room was nice but a little small to be honest, not a massive room but was fine for what we needed.. good breakfast, drinks and snacks all day the Starbucks cookies were so tasty!.. View wasnt the best from our room

Surprised the Grand Hyatt didnt have a spa to be honest!

Staff were friendly throughout the hotel... Lobby was very big

Would stay here again if I could afford it and stay in the Club room as well but then again would prefer to try a different hotel..

Room Tip: A room with a nice view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Husain K,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed the snacks and drinks in the Grand Club. In regards to your comment about a spa, we offer in-room spa services, so you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your own guest room.

I hope you choose to stay at Grand Hyatt New York again, we would love to have you back.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

What can I say about this hotel? It is a very average hotel. The location is nice though. It does not deserve four stars because the rooms were too tiny except for the corner rooms. The bathroom was extremely small especially the shower. Housekeeping ladies were very pleasant, helpful and friendly. I do want to say a few words about this guy by the name of Scott in the sales department. Scott: You are rude, unprofessional, childish and dishonest. All you had in mind was your commission. The woman at the front desk should not have sent me to you. I could have made the reservation online myself. I was actually doing you a huge favor. Instead you cheated on me by charging me a higher rate. The world has no room for someone hateful like you. Shame on you.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room which will have a little more space. Bathrooms are very small so be prepared.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here twice.....once for a week over Thanksgiving, with my family, with Hyatt points. Second time was for a 2 night business trip. The trip in November was disappointing......but room was free and we were never there except to sleep.....so we enjoyed the location of the hotel. Came back this week to room 2801.....another supposedly remodeled room with serious water damage in bathroom to wallpaper/tile, etc and just a filthy room (hair in shower, gunk in refrigerator).

Housekeeping at this hotel is terrible and the rooms are probably more worn because of it.

The location is fabulous.....just don't think I can spend more money at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.....and if you must stay here, ask for a room that is not on Main Street...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Housekeeping Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Kathyinil,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very sorry to hear that your experience at Grand Hyatt New York was not a favorable one. I can assure you that this is not the standard of service with which we provide our guests and we have since addressed the issues with this guest room. If you do choose to stay with us again you can be certain that it will go flawlessly.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

It's been a LONG time since I was last in New York City - back then I couldn't afford a decent hotel, so that saying this hotel was better than the last one I stayed in here is not really saying all that much. :-)

I arrived at around 6:00pm and I couldn't have asked for a smoother check-in - all done and dusted in minutes. Having read a previous reviewer's comment, I mentioned to the very pleasant check-in person (Sam) that I knew the room had no coffee-making facility, but that I'd read on Trip Advisor I could ask for it. He said "no problem" - he'd send it straight up (it arrived in the room minutes after I did) and he also gave me a fistful of vouchers for free coffee from The Market store in the lobby - so coffee is never a problem. :-)

One thing that always peeves me about hotels is when they "gouge" guests for internet usage. Usually it only takes one hotel to stop charging and the rest follow suit, In NYC this hasn't happened. While the Hyatt charges around $10 per day, I was told that any charges would be credited back. I'd like to think that this is because I'm such a nice person, but I suspect that it's more to do with the fact that my room was part of a block booking for a celebration function on Saturday night - and this was part of the deal negotiated.

Having read many comments about this hotel here, I must say that I think some people are VERY picky. I have a 17th Floor room - perfectly adequate in size by ANY standards - not just NYC standards. Yes, the bathroom is a tad small and you DO need to be a contortionist to reach the toilet paper roll, but HEY, it's fine. I just took the roll off the holder - and problem fixed!

Overall, the room was modern, clean and the bed was VERY comfortable. I also had a table which doubled as a work desk, a couch and more than enough drawer space. The HUGE wardrobe contained an iron and ironing board - and was big enough to store my two suitcases. Also it contained a modern safe, which was large enough to hold my laptop. Another pet peeve of mine is that most hotels don't provide you with enough hangers in the wardrobe - Hyatt ticked that box also with even a few hangers left over!

I won't repeat what others have said here about the hotel's location - slap bang in the middle of Manhattan with everything in reach - including Grand Central Station with its market and heaps of eating options at VERY reasonable prices.

The staff are accommodating - nothing is really a problem for them. The hotel, apart from its location, has everything I look for - it's clean, comfortable and secure.

I'll leave you all with a question - why does Manhattan seem to have more people on the streets who TALK TO THEMSELVES, than any other place on earth???

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!