“Very Nice Hotel. Room was not great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #261 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Very Nice Hotel. Room was not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on President's Day weekend for 3 nights. There was a dance competition taking place so the elevators were a very long wait (10-15 minutes on average) The elevators were crammed with people going up to go down and going down to go up as it just made sense to get on any one that came and go for a ride. The hotel was generally very clean and huge! The entire hotel has a very modern but with a fairly cozy feel. Generally speaking the staff were friendly and nice. Our room was on the 34th floor. It was a "grand club king" which provided us access to the 16th floor grand club lounge with free snacks and drinks (soda/water/coffee/cookies). The room was nice. It was not nearly as big as I imagined it to be. I guess not all rooms are alike which the pictures on their website allude to. There was a decent view of the city. The room had touch sensing buttons to turn the lights on and off which didn’t always work right. (See Pics) You can turn the bathroom lights off accidentally from the bedside on/off switch. That’s one way to freak out the person in the bathroom! The touch buttons bedside also had the option to move the window shade up and down but that was broken. The shade had a minor tear in it not allowing it to remain in the track. It appeared this was broken for some time. Then on our last night the TV was not working properly. At 10PM an electrical engineer was sent up to our room after complaining that the TV would switch to the movie channel every 5 minutes. The engineer Hugo was very professional and solved the problem quickly. Overall the sheets appeared new. The bed was comfortable and the furniture was in very good condition. (See pics).

Note the refrigerator in the room is a tiny little one. Our room had 2 of them on opposite sides of the room tucked inside a dresser and a desk. Where the dresser was next to the closet was a basically unusable space that must have been part of the 350+ sq ft. they advertise online. It had a wall dividing it up so it was useless. (See pics). The bathroom was clean and in good condition. However ladies, there is NOOO counter space. (See pics!). I don't care but my girlfriend sure did. The toilet is also in a very tight small space.

All these what I consider generally to be annoyances and smaller issues overall were taken care of at the check out with a discounted rate after speaking briefly with a manager accidentally as I just happen to mention these issues for the next guest in our room. I think the manager’s name was Sergio (some kind of accent as well)? He was very nice and understood that these issues though smaller in scale were not acceptable for Hyatt. I am a loyal Hyatt customer and have been for a few years. I have been a platinum member for 3 years now.

Keep in mind that not all rooms are the same size or shape as depicted online. It appears not all bathrooms are the same. Some have more counter space as opposed to ZERO in ours. Overall I would stay here again but I would shell out extra money for a junior suite in order to ensure I had a room with plenty of USEABLE space and a bathroom that wasn't so tiny.

Room Tip: - Not all rooms are the same size or shape as depicted online. It appears not all bathrooms are the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

4,188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Not my usual NY Hotel, but the location and one of the going deals made it a convenient choice booked at short notice - worked perfectly. Large room (especially for NY), sleek contemporary styling, responsive staff made the stay very pleasant indeed, and a great starting point particularly for those new to NY. My one issue was paying for a premium WiFi connection - I would expect a Hotel, particularly one marketing to business travelers, would include free WiFi.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Walking into this hotel, we were pleased by the modern and spacious lobby. The staff was very helpful and our check in was quick and seamless. The hotel room was a good size, and had everything we needed ( except maybe a coffee maker for the mornings). The bed was very comfortable and we had a lovely view of grand central station.
The biggest problem came when over the weekend the hotel played host to a dance competition on their ballroom floor. This meant that the lobby, elevators and hallways were overtaken by many young dancers and their parents, many of them not even guests of the hotel. A number of times we waited 6-7 elevators to find one that has enough room for us. What we found quite terrible was that the hotel staff allowed the dancers and their friends and family to essentially overtake the lobby during the competition, running around, and sitting on the floor, eating their lunches and basically lounging. We found that this took away from the nice ambiance of the hotel and really took away from the ability of the guests to fully enjoy the facilities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I was in the city on business and found the Grand Hyatt to be the least expensive 4 star hotel in the city. They recently remodeled and it looked it- the room was comfortable and large for NYC standards. Check in was easy and checking out was even easier. All the services were amazing except the concierge could have been more helpful but that's a small sacrifice for the value and location of this hotel. If you go - stop by the restaurant for a stake and fries - really really good. Also a well equipped gym if you are up for a work out. Definitely will consider staying there for my next trip.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

First let me say i travel globally and stay at Hyatt hotels all over the world. I have been a platinum member for a least the last five years , maybe longer. I have stayed in this hotel on three occasions over the past three years, once after its recent reservation.

How anyone could ever believe this a five star hotel is beyond me.

First. No 24 hr room service. I am not expecting a banquet after 11pm but it might be nice if someone could knock me up a sandwich.
Two. The constant delegation of responsibility to another person or team is annoying beyond belief. When i call a front desk i expect a single point of contact.
Three. Attitude. What i would expect from a three star hotel. Enough said.
Four. Services. No shoe cleaning , sparse toiletries that were hardly ever replaced. No shower gel but soap? It isnt 1950. Heating that is set to only go up so far so i froze the first two nights while they said they couldnt do anything. Then finally someone comes up and changes the setting so that it can go higher. Glad they did. I dint fancy sleeping in my clothes another night. The cleaning was ok for me but all my other colleagues said their rooms were filthy at least twice.
Five. Upgrade. My "upgrade" was to the room i paid for. My colleague who isnt a hyatt member got put in a suite and i got told nothing available. She checked in after me.
Six. Laundry. Hysterical. Took them two days to pick up one bag of washing.
Seven. The pinnacle. Get a note pushed under my door on Sunday night from the general manager stating that the room service wasnt going to be available for the next three nights due t renovation. I had been there for a week. Didnt they think to tell us sooner?

I am not a picky person but i know what i like. I know i dont like this hotel. There are a least five other hotels in the area that for fifty bucks a night more you dont have to take this nonsense. Do yourself a favour and stay in one of them.

Best regards

Room Tip: Stay at the setai or the library. Anywhere but here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear IainBF,
I am very sorry to hear of your experience at Grand Hyatt New York. At your convenience, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com so we may speak with you directly and address all the issues you pointed out.
Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just back from a 2-night stay and very happy with my selection. Hotel is in a perfect location for travellers, I got off the LGA shuttle ($13) and it dropped me 50 feet from the front door. Check-in was a little bizarre as its mostly kiosks now with a person standing behind waiting for questions. The guys checking in next to me seemed to be a regular and he wasn't too happy with it but for me it worked. Less than 3 minutes and I have my key and up the elevator. Room was spacious and modern and it must have been a renovated room as everything was touch-type lights and updated. Furnishings were modern and I will say the bed was fantastic. Didn't eat at hotel but nice selection in the "Market" but a bit pricey. I walked down to the Grand Central Market (2 minutes) for snacks and you won't be sorry, wonderful. Lobby is buzzing much like the city so fun to people watch but noisy!!! I had no issues with the elevators. I will say you can walk anywhere in Midtown from here and the ease to get into Grand Central makes this place so convenient. Check out a breeze and the EWR shuttle ($16) was only a block away. Concierge had a small line but helpful. I would recommend the Hyatt.

Room Tip: They have a room choice selection on the check-in kiosk but of course it didn't work for me but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed there last October for 4 nights. Had a great stay and found the staff all very helpful. Our room was exactly and what we imagined from the pics on their site. The Hotel itself is in an excellent location. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!