“Nice makeover - in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #261 of 449 hotels in New York City
Santa Monica, California
“Nice makeover - in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I was in the city on business and found the Grand Hyatt to be the least expensive 4 star hotel in the city. They recently remodeled and it looked it- the room was comfortable and large for NYC standards. Check in was easy and checking out was even easier. All the services were amazing except the concierge could have been more helpful but that's a small sacrifice for the value and location of this hotel. If you go - stop by the restaurant for a stake and fries - really really good. Also a well equipped gym if you are up for a work out. Definitely will consider staying there for my next trip.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

4,322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

First let me say i travel globally and stay at Hyatt hotels all over the world. I have been a platinum member for a least the last five years , maybe longer. I have stayed in this hotel on three occasions over the past three years, once after its recent reservation.

How anyone could ever believe this a five star hotel is beyond me.

First. No 24 hr room service. I am not expecting a banquet after 11pm but it might be nice if someone could knock me up a sandwich.
Two. The constant delegation of responsibility to another person or team is annoying beyond belief. When i call a front desk i expect a single point of contact.
Three. Attitude. What i would expect from a three star hotel. Enough said.
Four. Services. No shoe cleaning , sparse toiletries that were hardly ever replaced. No shower gel but soap? It isnt 1950. Heating that is set to only go up so far so i froze the first two nights while they said they couldnt do anything. Then finally someone comes up and changes the setting so that it can go higher. Glad they did. I dint fancy sleeping in my clothes another night. The cleaning was ok for me but all my other colleagues said their rooms were filthy at least twice.
Five. Upgrade. My "upgrade" was to the room i paid for. My colleague who isnt a hyatt member got put in a suite and i got told nothing available. She checked in after me.
Six. Laundry. Hysterical. Took them two days to pick up one bag of washing.
Seven. The pinnacle. Get a note pushed under my door on Sunday night from the general manager stating that the room service wasnt going to be available for the next three nights due t renovation. I had been there for a week. Didnt they think to tell us sooner?

I am not a picky person but i know what i like. I know i dont like this hotel. There are a least five other hotels in the area that for fifty bucks a night more you dont have to take this nonsense. Do yourself a favour and stay in one of them.

Best regards

Room Tip: Stay at the setai or the library. Anywhere but here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear IainBF,
I am very sorry to hear of your experience at Grand Hyatt New York. At your convenience, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com so we may speak with you directly and address all the issues you pointed out.
Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just back from a 2-night stay and very happy with my selection. Hotel is in a perfect location for travellers, I got off the LGA shuttle ($13) and it dropped me 50 feet from the front door. Check-in was a little bizarre as its mostly kiosks now with a person standing behind waiting for questions. The guys checking in next to me seemed to be a regular and he wasn't too happy with it but for me it worked. Less than 3 minutes and I have my key and up the elevator. Room was spacious and modern and it must have been a renovated room as everything was touch-type lights and updated. Furnishings were modern and I will say the bed was fantastic. Didn't eat at hotel but nice selection in the "Market" but a bit pricey. I walked down to the Grand Central Market (2 minutes) for snacks and you won't be sorry, wonderful. Lobby is buzzing much like the city so fun to people watch but noisy!!! I had no issues with the elevators. I will say you can walk anywhere in Midtown from here and the ease to get into Grand Central makes this place so convenient. Check out a breeze and the EWR shuttle ($16) was only a block away. Concierge had a small line but helpful. I would recommend the Hyatt.

Room Tip: They have a room choice selection on the check-in kiosk but of course it didn't work for me but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed there last October for 4 nights. Had a great stay and found the staff all very helpful. Our room was exactly and what we imagined from the pics on their site. The Hotel itself is in an excellent location. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

In one sentence: it is good, but it is not five stars.

And now, all the details:

Location: Very good. It is connected with the Central Terminal Station, wich has a "shuttle" (subway with just two stops) right to Timesquare. And lots of trains and metro lines to everywhere. And tons of restaurants close by, with no need even to exit to the street. Very convenient.

Rooms: Good size for New York. Not as "brand new" as I thought, as the hotel says it is fully renovated. But not bad, regular, kind of four stars. Rooms are pretty clean, also, with acceptable service. My sister (and her husband) were first sent to an old (and ugly, bad) room, but she complained and got a very good one (better than mine, ouch!).

Internet: Works most of the time, good enough. Free at my room.

Club Room: Depending on your room, you get 24 hours access to Club Room. This is fantastic, you can get water, juice, fruits, different kinds of food, all day long. Nice for a stop before going to bed, or to start the day. Get it! But the gardes, as seen in the website, is not open during winter (and yes, I'd like it to be open to see the snow).

Service: Nice people, but the hotel is huge, and you may get a line.

Elevators: Horrible. At peak times, it may take 10 minutos to be able to get in an elevator. Don't even think of forgetting something at the room: it may take 15 minutes to go up and down again. Annoying.

Food: Surprisingly good at the hotel restaurant. I got some Thai Shrimps that were fabulous.

Concierge: Forget it, there is a line at all times. He wont help you very much.

Hall: Fun, it is so big, with so many people arriving and going, and waiting for other people, that is fun. It is definitely not exclusive, not five stars. It is very touristic, And there is even a "closing shop" with banners of "Going out of business, everything 70% off" that look like perfect tourist traps. Very weird. I wouldn't expect this even in a one star.

Transparency: I asked by e-mail if I could send some shipments (like from Amazon) to the hotel and they said just ˜sure˜, but didn't say they would charge for it. I found out at checkout. Price was OK, but should have been said in advance.

Taxis: Great, always available just in front of the hotel.

Price: It is expansive, but... it's New York. It is a reasonable price for New York.

Room Tip: I enjoyed Club Room a lot. If possible, get a room with access to the Club Room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was in New York City on business for a trade show. This hotel was wonderful! The room was beautiful, functional and honestly ranks as one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. The best part: I had a wonderful view of Grand Central Station and 42nd Street. While the room was wonderful, room service left quite a bit to be desired. I ordered the hamburger. Awful! The only other issue is that my room was quite noisy and it was very difficult to regulate the temperature in the room.

Room Tip: I'm be upfront and ask for a great view!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

we choose the grand Hyatt for our most recent stay in NYC and I'm so pleased we did! This hotel could not be more convenient! The fact that its attached to grand central so great for the subway/trains, is a very short walk from Times Square and the airport shuttle bus leaves from right across the road are just a few reasons!
Our room was a grand king facing onto grand central and it was perfect-the bed was huge and so comfortable, there was a nice sized seating area with a table. The shower was fantastic, just what you need after a long day in the city, my only complaint about the bathroom is the location of the toilet roll-it's a little awkward to get to!
The room was cleaned all but one day (we got a memo apologising that not all rooms would be attending to due to the weather).
The staff on check in we're friendly and helpful-it rained heavily one day we were there and we we're given an umbrella to use free of charge.
On my birthday the hotel sent a card and a gift to my room! A very kind and thoughtful touch!
We left our luggage with the concierge after check out as we had a late night flight (this service was charged at $2 per bag), definately worth doing to save carrying things and/or wasting your last hours in this magic city!
I would definately stay in this hotel again (although next time I would request to be on the other side just for a change!)

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!