In one sentence: it is good, but it is not five stars.
And now, all the details:
Location: Very good. It is connected with the Central Terminal Station, wich has a "shuttle" (subway with just two stops) right to Timesquare. And lots of trains and metro lines to everywhere. And tons of restaurants close by, with no need even to exit to the street. Very convenient.
Rooms: Good size for New York. Not as "brand new" as I thought, as the hotel says it is fully renovated. But not bad, regular, kind of four stars. Rooms are pretty clean, also, with acceptable service. My sister (and her husband) were first sent to an old (and ugly, bad) room, but she complained and got a very good one (better than mine, ouch!).
Internet: Works most of the time, good enough. Free at my room.
Club Room: Depending on your room, you get 24 hours access to Club Room. This is fantastic, you can get water, juice, fruits, different kinds of food, all day long. Nice for a stop before going to bed, or to start the day. Get it! But the gardes, as seen in the website, is not open during winter (and yes, I'd like it to be open to see the snow).
Service: Nice people, but the hotel is huge, and you may get a line.
Elevators: Horrible. At peak times, it may take 10 minutos to be able to get in an elevator. Don't even think of forgetting something at the room: it may take 15 minutes to go up and down again. Annoying.
Food: Surprisingly good at the hotel restaurant. I got some Thai Shrimps that were fabulous.
Concierge: Forget it, there is a line at all times. He wont help you very much.
Hall: Fun, it is so big, with so many people arriving and going, and waiting for other people, that is fun. It is definitely not exclusive, not five stars. It is very touristic, And there is even a "closing shop" with banners of "Going out of business, everything 70% off" that look like perfect tourist traps. Very weird. I wouldn't expect this even in a one star.
Transparency: I asked by e-mail if I could send some shipments (like from Amazon) to the hotel and they said just ˜sure˜, but didn't say they would charge for it. I found out at checkout. Price was OK, but should have been said in advance.
Taxis: Great, always available just in front of the hotel.
Price: It is expansive, but... it's New York. It is a reasonable price for New York.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt New York City
- Hyatt New York City
- Hotel Hyatt New York
- Grand Hotel Hyatt New York
- New York City Grand Hyatt Hotel
- Hyatt Hotel New York City
- Grand Hyatt Hotel New York
- New York Hyatt
- Hyatt Hotel New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Premier location in the heart of New York's famous midtown. Striking lobby with waterfalls, seating areas and three restaurants and lounges. Direct access to Grand Central Terminal and connected to the Chrysler Building. Steps from Times Square, Shopping and the Theatre District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Otel, EasyToBook, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Grand Hyatt New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.