“Good location but that is about it!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #258 of 452 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Macungie, PA
“Good location but that is about it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife, my two children (6 and 3 yrs) and myself stayed at the Hyatt in early December 2012. We had booked one room (regency club), 2 beds and requested a crib. Noted on the reservation was the fact that we would not be arriving until after 9PM. The problems began when we drove around in circles looking for some indication of how to find valet parking. After solving small inconvenience, we arrived and checked in. During the check in process at about 10PM, my wife again asked about the crib and was assured we would have one. We arrived at our room and what do you know -- no crib. My wife and 3 yr old stayed in the room and my son and I went to the Regency Club (open 24hrs) to get some juices and snacks. After using the pass key to get into the Regency Club the only things we could find that were not locked up were water, coffee and nuts. Upon calling the front desk and speaking with the front desk manager, we were informed that while the Regency Club was open 24hrs., at 9PM all items except those previously mentioned were locked up until the morning. When I stated that this was unacceptable since they advertised open 24 hrs I was told that was the way it was and if I wanted something I could come down to the lobby and purchase those items.

Now to the room -- if you try to turn around in the bathroom you have to have the door open or you will hit something. The lighting of the room is touch pads on the wall, which would be ok if you had a tutorial on how to make them work or how to stop them from turning back on after they are turned off.

We had scheduled a 2 night trip, but dreaded the hotel so much that we left early (5pm) on Saturday. Since I had used points for the stay, I requested the points be returned to the account and was politely told simply "no" by both the hotel and the points telephone service.

Overall I will never stay at this hotel again. Hyatt used to be such a wonderful system and you knew what you would get, but we probably would have been better off at a budget hotel. I have been disappointed with Hyatt on a whole new level.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear DaveB91,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review here on TripAdvisor. We are truly sorry for the poor experience you had with us during your stay and your review has been shared with the hotel’s managing team. We would like to address your concerns directly; please email us at qualitynycgh@hyatt.com (RE: Front Desk Manager) so we can rectify the situation. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

4,273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Bromyard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Was our 2nd time staying at the Hyatt and this time it was our honeymoon. The place had had a facelift and looks amazing the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and did everything possible to make our stay/honeymoon a enjoyable one. Ideally located and has all you need within walking distance as well as the main shopping areas and some of the main attractions. We cannot wait to go back again. I will always stay at the Hyatt when visiting the Big Apple. Thanks to every1 at the Hyatt especially Jillian who made our stay extra special. Perhaps I'm not as fussy as some of the people who right reviews or perhaps they are to picky. You cannot fault this hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

we stayed here to do a bit of xmas shopping from the uk, there where me and my wife and our friends, we had slightly different views on the hotel. the things we agreed on where the rooms where clean and a decent size although no bath. all facities where good. i liked it because you were not pestered all the time, where as our friends like a more personnel service. we all agreed it was hidiously expensive to eat and drink there though. location couldnt be bettered for us though, i would be happy to stay again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were upgraded as soon as the reception realised we were staying for a week. Very pleasant room with huge bathroom and walk-in wardrobe. Sofa, table chairs, storage etc. all of very high standard and the room was cleaned spotlessly - we left the maid a tip every day which may have helped.

View from the window was of an office building rather than Manhattan but the room was quiet - we were not aware of any problems at all with noise from the lifts or other rooms.

The concierge staff were genuinely friendly and extremely helpful over every little thing: "The best comic store sir? Certainly that would be Midtown Comics on Lexington. Shall I call them to expect you sir?"

It's next to Grand Central which had one nice burger joint and some very dodgy food outlets but a wonderful place to people watch. A very pleasant walk up 42nd St to Bryant Park and Times Square in fact the hotel was ideally situated for the central NY sights. We didn't eat in the hotel as the prices were a bit steep but it is a NY hotel and we expected that. No problem though as there were many places to eat from 'posh' to burger within 5 minutes walk and dozens around Times Square a bit further away.

We had a great time and would recommend the experience to anyone.

Room Tip: We were quite high up away from the street noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm City, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I had read some reviews about the check in process being cold and impersonal... My experience was just the opposite. Evone checked us in and could not have been nicer or more helpful. In fact the all of the check in staff seemed very helpful. Just ask for what you would like and they go the extra mile to accommodate. Our room is nice and a good size for a family of four.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with larger bathroom.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night from 12/26-12/27. The hotel is right next to Grand Central Station which, of course, is very convenient. However, it makes it very busy and loud. You get noise from people and noise from honking vehicles and sirens from emergency vehicles. The woman who checked us in was nice and gave us a king room, 3012. The rooms, by NYC standards, are good size. The design of the rooms are modern and ugly in my opinion. There's a huge wall size mural on the back of the bed and the room is painted an ugly pewter color. The carpet is black with small pinstripes. If you like modern design then maybe you won't mind. There's an ironing board and hairdryer but no luggage stand or coffee maker. I am seeing less and less coffee makers in NYC hotel rooms, very disapointing. The bed was comfortable but had 3 postage stamp sized pillows. For a king bed you need larger pillows and more of them. The bathroom was average size but had a small sink with a shelf above it that I almost hit my head on when I bent down to wash my face. There was also toothpaste splatter all over the wall next to the sink (gross) which I ended up cleaning. The toilet is an industrial type with a loud flush. It was ugly, loud and didn't even flush properly. There are plenty of 4 star hotels in NYC, I would choose another one next time.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Jellyd,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted you had a pleasant check-in experience but are sorry to hear your accommodation was not to your liking. Your comments will be shared with the managing team and addressed properly. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will give us another chance.
Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt between Friday 21st Dec to 25th Dec 2012.

Location. Very good. Central easy to find. Easy walking to Rockafella and Times Sq.

Transport links. Next to Grand Station, JFK to Hotel by taxi $52.00 plus $6.50 toll and tip at 15%. 30 to 40 mins away. Never used underground.

Room. Large queen bed very comfortable. Fridge and safe. Had room 3167 away from road noise and lifts. Essential if you are a light sleeper. Bathroom small but adequate. Air con noisey and flush very noisey. TV Good

Lifts : Quick and easy. Never waited long

Check in/out. Simple efficient. Can leave bags at $2 per bag if plane departs after check out. Check out 11:00 am

Breakfast: Available across the road under the arches. New Yorker breakfast ) two toast, jam butter, coffee, fresh orange, and two eggs with bacon and fried potatoes $17 each plus Taxes and Service charges 16% $42 in total.

Wifi : Avaiable at cost or free at cafe or Starbucks two/three doors away and at any Starbucks.

Tours : Use the RED bus tours , 48 hr hop on all tour bus was $44 each plus $10 if you wanted to add the night tour. Tours sections last 2 hrs.

Rockerfella Centre; $30 each including two photos emailed to you. Go early or book. Remember you need a clear day and the direction of the sun for photo's.

Macys easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Away from lifts and high up
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!