“Maybe it’s not you...it’s me?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #256 of 446 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Maybe it’s not you...it’s me?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed in a junior suite for three nights in late November. The hotel was in a central location and things were ‘OK’ I suppose, but I travel regularly for business and pleasure and maybe it’s just me, but I remember a time when the Hyatt did more than just be ‘OK’. Examples included:

- Flying in from the UK, we were visiting New York for the first time to celebrate a ‘milestone’ (i.e. ends with a ‘0’) birthday for my wife. I mentioned this to the hotel in advance, and again when we checked-in and it was never even acknowledged. I’m not expecting champagne in the room (although I've had this from the Hilton in the past), but a smile and a ‘congratulations’ would have been nice

- Whilst we didn't get a “happy birthday” from the reception staff, we did get told our room wasn't ready (at three in the afternoon) and when we came back yet again at 4pm the member of staff just said “wait a moment” and walked away to obviously try and fit us in somewhere...15 minutes later I was still standing there until another member of staff asked if I was OK and went to find out what had happened

- To be fair, the room was a good size and with a nice view over Grand Central station. But no bathrobes, no tea and coffee making facilities, tiny bathroom and no HDTV. For a US Hyatt hotel, the absence of bathrobes and a kettle was surprising, but watching TV programmes that looked like they were received via a metal coat-hanger on stuck on the roof was really shocking.

- No free wifi, not even in public areas! I know it’s great fun for a hotel that has a large proportion of business travellers to charge for internet, but it’s nearly 2013 now and free wifi should be standard, not an added bonus

- When I inquired about going into the Regency (executive) lounge, I was told that I would not be allowed access because I was ‘only’ a Platinum member. So despite staying in a suite and having the misfortune to drop to the second-highest tier after being a Diamond Hyatt member for the past three years I was not allowed into the promised land of free canapés and soft drinks

That’s not to say it’s not a nice hotel, and it is in a central location. But when my baby is screaming at 3am and there isn’t a kettle to boil some water for his formula, my proximity to Spiderman the Musical didn't really seem like such an important factor.

So maybe it isn’t the hotel at all, maybe it’s me and I just ask too much, but I’ve shown considerable loyalty to this brand over the years and when it came to the crunch they didn’t deliver. I’m sure they will promise to do better next time, but I don’t plan to fly 3000 miles to celebrate another birthday any time soon.

There was a time when Hyatt was considered miles above the Hilton, but from now on I’ll be switching to the Hilton, and I’ll be telling my friends and colleagues to do the same.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Staggered_for_choice,

We appreciate your detailed review here on TripAdvisor. We are very sorry to learn of your stay and would like to speak with your directly so we may address your concerns. Kindly email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com (RE: Front Office Manager) at your convenience. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to speaking with you.

4,085 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt because he was in NYC on business and has a corporate rate. Our grand king room was on the 22nd floor at the end of the hall. We could hear every door slam and every conversation outside our Room. The room size was typical NYC size and the shower was so small my husband barely fit into the stall. Our bed was horrible! Literally felt as if our feet were over our heads-the slope was that bad. Also I like a cool room, although I set the temp to 65 degrees the room was stuffy and hot.

As for the staff, we basically had no contact with them since this is an 1800 plus room property.

The bar staff was great. The food and drinks at the bar were good. The bar's atmosphere was great.

Location is great if you want to take the subway, but good luck hailing a cab, it was a nightmare.

Room Tip: Can hear everything in hallway, best to stay at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Hydeparkmom,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time at New York Central. I will pass along your nice comments to the staff! As for your accommodations, I are sorry to learn you did not enjoy your guestroom. Your review will be shared with our managing committee team so we may learn where we went wrong and improve upon it. Thanks again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great central location, trendy hotel with modern rooms. Not too noisy despite its being next to Grand Central Station. friendly staff though sometimes a bit of a wait. However the party who we travelled with had lots of trouble with their rooms - they were trouble with the room keys and they were locked out several times and it took the maintenance people several hours to fix the problem. Although they were given a change of rooms, the same thing happened. to give the hotel some credit, we were all offered free breakfast for one morning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
durban
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

stayed here after superstorm sandy as original hotel booked was not functional due to power outtage.paid a lot more than budgeted !really a very nice hotel!staff were excellent!we arrived on a 16 hr flight from south africa and a 2 and half hour wait at immigration at jfk due to staff shortages as a result of storm disruption.we were allowed an extra early checkin for which we are extremely appreciative!!!well located .on the doorstep of grand central !also a hop away from airport shuttle stop !reasonable size room by new york standards!very comfortable with lovely decor and amenities.nice view of city from room was an extrea bonus!very pleasant stay and highly recommended if you can afford it!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I went to this hotel to the famous New York marathon. The place is very nice and well cared for. First class hotel. The place is centrally located, close to the Central Station. We eat pretty well, the service is ok.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt for business over a weekend in November. Starting with the check in, the service was fantastic. Door men were friendly. Desk agents were great! Seamless, short lines, quick service. Lobby was large, attractive with very interesting decor. Large statues and light features in the lobby made quite the impression. In addition to the hotel services, there was a nice, albeit expensive, store in the lobby providing food and other items. Free coffee there was a nice touch!

We had a corner room that was fantastic! There was a living area with a couch, a desk, and a king bed. The room was very modern, sleek and tasteful! Bathroom was spacious, particularly for NYC standards.

Location is the best part of this hotel. On top of grand central, it is close to every form of transportation in the city! Additionally, there are lots of nice stores in the station. Close to Bryant Park skating rink and stores, Times Square, restaurant row, mid town businesses, Hell's Kitchen bars, 5th Ave shopping. Although touristy, loved having the options this location provided.

Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suite was large!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First timers and seasoned New York visitors will find that Grand Hyatt's proximity at Grand Central Station will provide easy access to anywhere in the city. Times Square is just a quick subway shuttle ride or take a walk around the corner to the Grand Central Market for an awesome variety of fresh gourmet food, baked goods, quick snacks or an array of ideas to bring home. I highly recommend the Grand Hyatt's Regency Club rooms which provide access to their lounge serving continental breakfast, and afternoon appetizers. Snacks and soft drinks are made available throughout the day. Although the rooms are less spacious than most Hyatts, esoecially the bathroom, I would definitely stay there again as it's location trumps any shortcomings.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!