“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #261 of 454 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We spent luckly only 2 night at the Grand but....oh god never again!
The hotel was overbooked so the let us sleep in the middle of two connecting bedroom, yes we stayed in a living room! When we arrived to the room, the "bed" was not done, so we called somebody. The minibar was half empty, the were some lost propriety from the previous guest were inside the wardrobe, tv not working properly, coffee stain on the white table....and the heating, not working at all. We called downstairs for to times for the room technician and after one hour, they mention that was not so cold outside in order to keep the heating on in the room. Result: ill! Positive point: the position of the hotel is simply perfect and Julian at the front desk has been amazing. She give us as compensation the breakfast at the restaurant and the lounge access for the stay. The rest of the staff that I meet were rude and not so helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear GiuliaVirg,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the service you received from Julian. I will pass along your nice comments. We apologize for the situation that your experienced with your accommodations at the hotel. If you will, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com so we may speak with your directly to rectify this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

Lauren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Guilford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Being a platinum Hyatt member and having stayed at several Hyatt's I was disappointed with our stay. I liked the location but after a long day of walking around the city I was disappointed to find the shower broken. I called the front desk and they sent up the "mechanic" and he agreed it was broken and needed to be fixed. After about 20 min of fiddling with the faucet we got some warm water (a temporary fix). Unfortunately, I was not able to duplicate what the mechanic did in the morning and hence had a cold shower. I couldn't get the round handle in the right spot to produce warm water. I expected more and got a lot less.

Dear terrapinct,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at Grand Hyatt New York. On behalf of the staff at the hotel, we sincerely apologize about the issue you experienced with your shower. We understand your frustration and please accept our sincere apologies on such a poor experience you had. Our engineering team works very hard to maintain the facility and all guest rooms. However, it seems we fell short during you stay and for that, we are truly sorry.

Your review is extremely important to us and it will be shared with my management team to review and improve upon. If there is anything further we can do to restore your faith in us, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I don't give five stars often, but will this time. After taking a red-eye to NYC, I checked my bags in the morning, then took trains about the city and walked about, before returning at about 2:00 pm. Even though checkout was listed as 4:00 pm, I was given a room by a very courteous and professional reservation agent with minimal delay. The rooms are fine, worthy of a Hyatt. Can't beat the location, attached to Grand Central Station in Manhattan.

All staff with whom I dealt were courteous and professional. Bed was big and comfy, the room was quiet and it had a large window. One comment on the window: because the hotel is amid other high-rises, getting a view may be problematic. I did, however, see the Chrysler Building out my window!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at Grand Hyatt for three days when I was displaced from home due to Hurricane Sandy. This is a business hotel and I had no expectation that I would feel like home. As expected, I was greeted by millions of conferences participants and group tourists. But service was great. facilities met my needs, so I was happy.

The "Market" on the lobby level was very convenient - had good qualify comfort food at not so crazy price. Frankly, there are millions of other NYC hotels that rip off guests on horrible in house food.

Elevator is a problem in the morning though. There were 3 elevators running in the morning when 19 floor worth of people were trying to get down in 3 of total 10 people capacity elevators. When i called guest services, they told me a tip of hitting up elevator and eventually go down when no more people can get on to go up. very interesting.

I think the hotel has some problem with circulation of hot water as it did not run quickly in a shower in a standard room. when i moved to a deluxe king room, it was much better though.

I would advise people do not stay in standard room as the quality dramatically drops from king size room. (i've stayed in both rooms and the comparison was stark) and in the weekday morning, please budget at least 25 minutes to go down to lobby.

Room Tip: Choose king size rooms. given the price difference, standard queens size room is not worth it. you w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaneohe, HI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Oh, this is going to be a long review. Let me begin by saying I chose this hotel because of its great location and because by getting the Hyatt credit card I was granted a two night stay at any hotel in the Hyatt chain. Since I was going to New York for a special opera weekend and since I could also get points for the remaining paid days through the Hyatt frequent stayers club, this seemed a good idea. The website information about the hotel seemed quite nice, and I believed I would get great service and a lot of things at the hotel that would make my stay quite pleasant.

Unfortunately, only a fraction of what I hoped for actually happened.

Okay, here begins my tail of woe. I had made my reservation quite some time in advance, and, as is usual in these kinds of things, I had GUARANTEED my reservation using a credit card. Now when you do that, you don't expect to arrive and find no room available for you, do you? WELL, DO YOU? Now you can surely be positive that if I HADN'T shown up, I would have had to pay for the night. RIGHT? But you surely wouldn't expect to be told that "Oh, I'm sorry, we have no rooms available." To me, this is a violation of a contract. I had put my money on the line, and I feel the hotel was contractually obligated to give me a room. Now right now I'll say that I arrived after 1:00 a.m., but I had notified the hotel that this would be the case, and had been assured by someone at the Hyatt office, that there would be no problem with my late arrival. Well, guess what? SOMEBODY LIED! I was then told that they would move me to another equal hotel, nearby, and they would comp my stay at that hotel. Well, an hour later, I was told that they couldn't find anyplace at all, but they would still work on it, and in the meantime I could wait in their "executive club" room, where I could avail myself of a place to relax, and drinks and food would also be available. Well, the "club" consisted of a fairly nice and fairly large room, with couches and tables and some cookies and candies, but as far as drinks were concerned, oh yes, there were lots of drinks available (and by the way I was informed they could be alcoholic) but they were all BEHIND LOCKED GLASS!!! So now I'm sitting (I did have some nice chocolates) and waiting and waiting and waiting, and finally the desk clerk arrived and told me that miraculously, four people had checked out and I could have a room if I didn't mind waiting until 3:00 a.m.! Now doesn't this seem a bit suspicious to you? WHO checks out of a hotel at 3:00 a.m.? Okay, finally, my long nightmare of a travel day is just about over, and I'll admit they were very nice about it, and promised me a nicer room tomorrow, free breakfasts for all the days still left in my trip, and that this first night would not be paid for. Okay, this is nice, but I think my original contract would have been much nicer.

Off to a very short sleep, and then the next morning I was upgraded to a nicer room. End of the worst part of the story.

Later that morning after a somewhat fitful sleep, I went down to the desk, where a very nice clerk welcomed me warmly and offered an upgraded room, and the knowledge that not only would the room be nicer than the last one, but it would be at a lesser rate than had been agreed upon.

When I got to the room I discovered that it was indeed a very big room, with a nice view out on to Lexington Avenue. A BIG drawback to this room, however, was its lack of a bathtub. I really am very picky about needing a bath rather than a shower. Okay, but it's a nicer room, so I'll live with it.

Now, here are some more general comments about the rooms at this "not so Grand" Hyatt. First let me say that the room, though large, was not a room that made itself available for much. There is a table, a chest of drawers (which also doubles at a desk), a king size bed (the best thing about this room) and that's about it. You could play football in the space in the middle of the room, but as for any kind of other use, it's nothing. The lights in this room were four very tiny spotlights at two of the sides of the room, and one humongous gooseneck kind of light that pretty much imposed itself into the middle of the room, making it very likely you're going to bump into it, because the lights in the ceiling didn't brighten up the room much. There were also two bedside lamps, but again, they didn't shed much light. The bathroom is a closet. Or at least that's what it seems like. Pardon me for TMI, but you're sitting on the "facility" you can't move a muscle without bumping into either the shower doors or the sink. To use the paper you have to be a contortionist and reach behind you to get at it. Then when you pull it to tear it into usable sections you're just as likely to knock it off its holder. If you shut the door of the bathroom when you use it, you're just totally constricted as far as movement is concerned. The only good thing about the bathroom is that the lighting is pretty good, and you have enough space to put your cosmetics and things on the sink unit. I would much prefer that this had been the closet, but the closet itself was pretty roomy. In fact, it was a far better organized space than the rest of the room. One more negative thing about this room was this: whenever I've gone to a hotel they have information in the room about activities and benefits of the hotel. This place, except for a menu of dining options, had nothing. Nothing about spas, health clubs, exercise rooms, computer and business options, NOTHING! When I asked at the desk about it, they said they'd bring up the information to the room, but it never appeared. I tried to ask some of the desk people about it, but they had no idea about anything. I specifically wanted a massage but they couldn't help me. Oh yes, all the folks working here (except for the restaurant...more about that later) were very friendly, and if they had known what was going on at the hotel or would live up to their promises, they might have also been helpful.

Are you getting tired of all this verbage? Sorry, but let me go on to some more comments about the hotel in general. All the facilities (and I'm sure I didn't know about most of them) worked well, were nicely done and pretty nice for a big city hotel. The servers and helpers at the restaurant were usually pretty helpful and friendly, except for one woman who was seating customers at the breakfast hour. She made it quite apparent that she had no interest in being friendly or helpful and only the fact that she had to do it would she give you a table. I watched this same woman lead a couple to a table that wasn't particularly special, and when they dared to ask for a nicer table her looks could really kill! If this woman hates people so much, why does she take this job? There were also some nice servers, such as a very nice Irish gal and another at the bar who were especially helpful.

Whew! I guess that pretty much wraps it up, except to say that this hotel needs a major revamping in its service department. I've been in other Hyatts where the staff will bend over backwards to help, and everything you could possibly need or want could be provided, but this isn't the place. It could be a great hotel, but not the way it is. I guess the main thing to say is I WILL NEVER, NEVER, EVER stay at this hotel again! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Room Tip: I guess it depends on what you want. If you want a bathtub, take a "standard" room. If y...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Whitsiepoo,

We appreciate your very detailed review and would like to apologize for the negative experience you had with us. At Grand Hyatt New York, we strive to provide a memorable stay and exceptional service to our guests, but seems we failed during your stay. For that, we are truly sorry.

We take your comment very seriously. If you could send us a private message with your contact information, we would love to discuss further with you and want to regain your confidence back. Rest assured, your review will be shared with my management team.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt for a night, it's well-located right next to the Grand Central Station. The room, a standard double was fairly large for the price we paid and a lot bigger than the bathroom. The bathroom was immaculately clean and the showerhead was the largest I haver ever seen in a hotel. My only peeve was the Green Tea and Cucumber amenities in the bathroom, not a huge fan of cucumber so compared to other major chains they werent as nice. Everything was in working order when we checked in, the color scheme in both the room and the lobby is black and gray because basically it's a business hotel. You get cards for a complimentary tea/coffee/water. A 24-hour cafe is open for travelers but there are plenty of places a stone's throw from the hotel which offer more variety. The gentleman at check-in was incredibly nice and so was the one at checkout. All I would want in the room was a tea/coffee maker so you could make a hot beverage or something without having to order from room service, and some stationery. Beds are incredibly soft and I enjoyed mine. If you're looking for a warmly furnished family hotel look elsewhere. If you want one of the best neighborhoods in the city, you may want to book the Grand Hyatt.

Room Tip: If you want quiet during the night, ask for a room away from the elevators.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Being at Grand Hyatt New York you are mostly inside Grand Central Terminal. Easy going in and out Manhatan. You can easily vist the East side or take S Shutle Subway to Times Square. Express Trains 4 and 5 go up and down.

Totally Refurbished and with a trained staff i´ve stayed 5 nights during November 2012. They also have a very good Concierge to make restaurants and shows indications.

If you wish a central, clean, refurbished hotel, with also a small market inside. This is it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!