“Terrible New York Hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Suite Deal!
Ranked #259 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Terrible New York Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed almost a week at the Grand Hyatt New York.

It is situated next to Grand Central Station. If you are a tourist the location is terrible. I would rather stay near Central Park or somewhere around SoHo or Greenwich Village.

Grand Hyatt New York is quite big and the lobby feels like a train station. If you stay on the upper floors you will be waiting for the elevator all the time.

The first room I got was actually pretty nice except from the broken toilet. I had to complain for two days before I was moved to another room. I was not happy!

In the next room everything was working, but the bathroom was very cramped.

In both rooms the air condition was not working well. I attended a conference at the hotel. The conference rooms were SO cold that I had to leave the conference several times to regain a normal body temperature. When I asked for a more human temperature, the answer was: Not possible.

I will not stay at Grand Hyatt New York again and wouldn’t recommend this hotel for my worst enemy.

PS. One positive thing about the Grand Hyatt New York: The concierge service (prior to arrival) worked well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

A nice enough hotel in an excellent location that is almost completely designed to accomodate the business traveler; families not so much. The decor is cold and masculine with so so service and a conciege service that was only mildly helpful. The room was about average by NYC standards, and more than functional although the lack of a coffee/tea service in the room was a glaring oversight, as was the absence of any complementary wireless in rooms or public paces (can be bought for $16 a day). The little 24 hour mini-market in the lobby is nice to have, but grossly overpriced ($3.70 for a small cup of coffee when the Starbucks around the corner charged $2.10). But most guests will hardly notice since they are likely on an expense account. The big advantage of this property is its price/ location quotant. We could walk to just about everything in mid-town/ theater district, including central park about 20 minutes away. And its right next to Grand Central, which was huge.

Room Tip: The rooms at the ends of each floor were about 30% bigger than the ones in the middle.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

As a resident of New York City, it's rare that I would stay in a hotel here in Manhattan but hurricane Sandy hit and I had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Hyatt. I can't believe the ratings aren't higher for this place. First- it's next to Grand Central so in my opinion especially if you're a visitor to our city- it's a perfect location to see as much as possible. Second, the room is spotless, there's a flat screen tv, comfortable bed, and state of the art fitness center. I would ask for a room on the highest floor to get a great view.

Room Tip: As for a room on the higher floors and for coffee vouchers. They should give you vouchers for free c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My general assessment, staying at many hotels, is that this is an average hotel. No major complaints, but no rave reviews. Since I gave the Hyatt in San Francisco 4 stars - then this hotel probably deserves 2.5-3.0 stars.

The hotel is very large and in a great location in Manhattan - easy walking distance to anything in mid-town. Everything was clean, in good working condition and appeared well taken care of. I had reserved a King room in the club level. The room was very large - although somewhat sparsly furnished - and only what appeared to be a double bed (although the usual very comfortable Hyatt bed). The bathroom was small - just a standup shower and the toilet and vanity were so close together that to take care of business you had to sit sideways...(seriously)

The Club Lounge was large and very busy but well stocked with a good selection. In the club lounge they do charge for alcohol - which is fine - although the prices were comparable to the lobby lounge - for quite generic wine.

Again, I looked for that WOW factor and it just wasn't there. Service was as you would expect in a massive city hotel. Nothing bad but nothing to draw me back again.

The one negative experience that I had was with the parking. I understand that they are a third party vendor - but they do represent the hotel and appear to provide a service exclusively for hotel guests. We checked in at 3:19 one afternoon and checked out (thanks to a late check-out) at 2:50 the next afternoon. The parking was $120 because they said we stayed over 24 hours. Initially they claimed we had checked in at 2:00 according to the stamp on the ticket - so I assumed they pre-stamped the ticket but it seems that because of the clocks turnback I had actually stayed more than 24 hours. The valets seemed to take alot of pleasure in this - of course no manager was on duty so in order to get my car I had to pay - the additional 30 minutes cost $50. I think that this is a bad business practice and reflects poorly on the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Just back from five days at the grand hyatt.
Location is wonderful. Grand central station is awesome..
Lobby a little soulless but who needs a hotel lobby with ny on your door step.
Concierge really know their stuff.
Room was clean and very big.
Beds were really comfy.
Overall a great hotel to come back to after a day exploring.

Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a conference (also held in the hotel) which also coincided with our Anniversary. I made the reservation via telephone in the hopes of attaining a complimentary room upgrade. Unfortunately, I was told that this could not be done at the time, but I could try asking upon check-in.

We arrived early in the morning, as our conference started at 8 AM. Though standard check-in is not until 4 PM, we met with the front desk staff and were granted a free room upgrade (SCORE!). We were also able to check in early - I received a phone call at Noon alerting me that the room was ready for us. Score 2 for the hotel! Our room was a King Corner room on the 31st floor. The room was a typical size for NYC and had a great view. The bathroom was tiny but served its purpose. The toiletries are quite generous - large 6 oz sized shampoo and conditioner, a full bottle of lotion, and even lip balm.

Overall, we were very pleased with the room. Of course, we would have liked a lower price, but this is Manhattan and low prices are few and far between. Service was great, the bed was extremely comfortable, and we would definitely stay there again.

One minor annoyance - we asked to store our bags upon check-out, as the conference did not end until 5 PM. We were able to do so, but the hotel charged $2 per bag. Come on now! Also, the internet was a rip-off, so we did not partake in the wifi service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms that are higher up are both larger and quieter. Don't pay up front; take your chan...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We all loved that hotel. Clean, close to everything. We didn't hear street noise at night. Stuff was friendly, rear for NY. Rooms were comfortable. Lobby is beautiful, has some character. Beds comfy, clean sheets.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!