“Awesome location and beautiful accommodation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #274 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newcastle, Australia
“Awesome location and beautiful accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I was so glad to stay here the last night I was in New York. Best location, right next to Grand Central Station and only a 5 min walk to Times Square. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. When I checked in they asked me if I wanted a smoking room which was very accommodating of them. The room was gorgeous and spacy. Nice decor and bathroom was trendy. I had a nice view of the street below. I would stay here again,probably my first choice if I am in NYC again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Josie1985,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay at Grand Hyatt New York, we are delighted to hear you had the most pleasant and enjoyable stay. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be very helpful and accommodating. They will love to hear the kind words you said about them :)

I am also very delighted you enjoyed our new guest rooms. As we are going through our renovation, we love to hear all the positive feedback of the new rooms, it really makes our day.

Thank you again for staying at Grand Hyatt New York. We would love to serve you again in your future travels to New York City!

Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

This hotel was not worth the money at all. The window blinds didn't work and so I was exposed to the city lights all night and couldn't get a good night's sleep. The TV remote also didn't work and there were bugs in the bathroom. When I called for service, they forgot about me altogether and I had to call a second time. There is no shortage of hotels in NYC and for the same money you can do much better!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear ExHyattMember,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. We take all feedback seriously and view it as a way to continually improve our products and services. With that being said, I sincerely apologize that you were not attended to in a timely manner. I agree that it is unacceptable you had to call back a second time to follow up since the inconveniences weren’t promptly fixed. I will surely take this up with our staff, who should have provided you with immediate service, because this should not have become an issue like it has.

I hope this does not deter you from staying at Grand Hyatt New York in the future. If there is anything I can do to reconcile this, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Lauren.schubert@hyatt.com
CARRICKFERGUS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt last October for three nights as part of my birthday gift from my wife. Flew into Newark airport, caught the bus to New york and fortunately the last stop was a block away from the hotel (5 minutes walk)
As a four star hotel, it certainly beats the Marriot Marquis (TImes Square) for comfort and hospitality. The rooms are very clean and ideal size for 2 with 2 sets of luggage.The bathroom is a good size, and there is adequate wardrobe space.
My wife had mentioned a the desk at check in that it was my birthday, low and behold that that evening found a bottle of red wine, cheese and crackers on the table courtesy of the hotel! - Nice touch.
. There is a nice 'Market' located in the lobby to purchase tea/coffee, hot meals, sandwiches, beer and wine. It's open 24 hours and does breakfasts,lunches, dinners and snacks. - We used the Market for breakfast , getting fresh fruit, yogurt, Danish and tea. The quality was good - no complaints.
As mentioned, well located for airport bus stop, also sited right next door to Central Railway station (subway ), 5th Avenue, Times Square etc. . Local restaurants and many and varied for most palates
There is a stand alone computer in the lobby linked to flight information/Airlines where you can print boarding pass etc for your flight.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

great hotel, top location, very clean and safe. the stuff is very helpfull and kind.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear Sotirakisrules,

Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. We are so glad you found our staff accommodating, it was a pleasure serving you! I hope you choose Grand Hyatt New York in your future travels to New York City.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Just back from a long weekend in NY with a friend, we stayed at the Hyatt for 3 nights. The booking was made via Virgin Holidays
On checking in we were also told (as per martinc1973) that despite making our booking months ago, there were no rooms available with two double beds, but that they could move us for our second night (to compensate for this we were given 6 free drinks vouchers...). We initially accepted the offer of a room with one double bed and a rollaway bed for one night and changing over the following. Our allocated room was small and dark. When the rollaway bed arrived it was clear that there was going to be pretty much no floor space in the room once this was put up and frankly it wasn’t acceptable.

We went back to check-in and made a polite but firm fuss, pointing out that we’d booked was because they offered two double beds per room. This time the receptionist told us that there were rooms available, but they needed cleaning and that a room with two double beds would be free in a couple of hours. After some more to-ing and fro-ing, we were allocated a room on the 24th floor facing 42nd St which had two double beds.

The room was refurbed, with enough space for both of us. There were lots of design touches and it was great to have a docking station. Overall we were pleased with the room.
Housekeeping cleaned the bathroom and made the beds, but didn’t vacuum. A plate of food and dirty wine glasses remained in the room for 2 days until we placed them outside.
Concierge were really helpful and made restaurant bookings for us, the doormen were really friendly.
Receptionists/check-in were OK (and Lan was really kind and helpful – thank you!). But on one occasion I needed to ask a question of reception, but gave up after waiting 5 minutes for two receptionists to finish talking to each other about their dogs.
The state of the lobby was on occasion disgraceful, with discarded cans, bags etc left on the tables. None of the staff seemed to take any ownership of it. It left a really bad impression. On the whole I got the feeling that the staff didn’t care.
Lack of coffee/tea making facilities. This was a huge issue for me and totally out of place with a hotel which claims to be 4*. Why not use Starbucks coffee machines, every other hotel in NY seems to? Its the type of cost cutting associated with budget hotels. However, there is a cafe where you can buy food and drinks (at heavily inflated prices). The coffee was disgusting
In terms of location, its a great place to stay with easy access to everything touristy.
In summary, this is a 4* hotel with budget hotel touches and I’m sure Hyatt can do better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I went to newyork with my Dad for my 21st, November last year. We only had one problem whilst we was there which was that the locker was broke, service was okay... however they didnt have the availability for us to move rooms and maintenance were unable to come out to fix it. We used a safety deposit box free of charge for the rest of the holiday which was absolutley fine. Staff were pleasant... Location = AMAZING. Hotel is a terminal to grand central so getting the tube was easy. We basically walked everywhere... seeing the sights ect.... amazing!! Would stay here again!! we was told before we went that you could here lots outside so wouldnt be able to sleep!! i found it very peaceful to sleep... :-) definatly recommend this hotel and would stay again!!

• Stayed November 2010
Dear Vikki03,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. I apologize for the broken safe in your room, but I am glad to hear that it was resolved and you were able to use an alternative at no hassle.

It is an honor you chose to stay with us for your 21st birthday and it is wonderful to hear you had a pleasant time. I hope your birthday was everything you wanted and more!

We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next milestone birthday :)

Surprise, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Stayed at the Hyatt 4 nights (5/27 to 31). Nice hotel - excellent location; however, maid service was spotty. Floor not vacuumed first day; wash cloths not left second day; only two glasses provided and, a rather strange room (1843) configuration. Still, not a bad experience. There is a $9.99/day charge for WIFI.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hyatt New York? Share your experiences!