After having read the other reviews, I found my experience was somewhat consistent with others' experiences.
This is a boutique hotel - it was renovated over a few years back. I would guess it was a hip destination for a short while, but it seems like now it's starting to lose its lustre, and I think it's due for some sort of renovation.
First - the rooms are OK. As far as NYC goes, they're on the smaller side. They do have flat screen televisions, but they are very small and the picture quality is poor because they are not receiving any HD signals. The carpets and furniture are showing signs of wear (example - the sitting chair in my room was covered in a felt or velvet-y material, and looked like it was worn out where your butt and back would hit if you sat against it). Likewise, the rooms need to be repainted and the carpets are starting to show wear and stains.
The bathrooms, similar deal. They were probably great when the Blakely opened, but for whatever reason the showers have seen their share of abuse and have that dirty appearance even when they are clean. The shower is also a jet-tub, and there is crust/calcium accumulating on the jets and on the nozzles of the shower heads. The tiles on the floor are starting to discolor and crack.
The restaurant is OK - but then again, this restaurant is not why you're probably in NYC. Service was great. The breakfast is not very good but dinner is definitely worth checking out.
If any of this doesn't bother you, you will probably really enjoy the Blakely. Service there is excellent - the staff is both friendly and helpful. It does make up a lot for any of the shortcomings, which, everyone may not find to be as big of a deal as me.
The location is good if you want to be near times square but not in times square, but I think there are better options all around for what a room at the Blakely costs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In heart of Midtown Manhattan Central Park West, steps way from Times Square and 5th Avenue Shops. A 4 Diamond Property, voted one of top hotels by US News 2014, Zagat Best Hotel 2014. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Blakely New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Blakely New York Hotel New York City
- Blakely Hotel New York City
- Blakely New York City
- Blakely New York Hotel