“Best location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Edison Hotel Times Square

Save Saved
You added Edison Hotel Times Square to your Saves list
Edison Hotel Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 West 47th Street, Between 8th Avenue and Broadway, New York City, NY 10036   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Tripadvisor Special 15%
Ranked #289 of 451 hotels in New York City
Buffalo, New York
“Best location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was my 2nd time staying at the Edison as a adult. My family would take regular visits to NYC in the 70's & 80's and this is where we always stayed. The front desk & cleaning staff were very friendly. The front desk gave us complimentary free wi-fi. Its a cozy hotel, art deco style which I love. the furniture in our room was updated, clean and we were comfortable. We had a room with 2 queen beds on the 15th floor facing the front of the hotel and it was quiet. The beds were quite comfortable. The only complaint is the bathroom is so small, but we made do. The location is the best! We were able to walk to the Broadway shows, restaurants and shopping. There are 3 theaters on the same block. There is a cafe and bar in the lobby, and a Starbucks across the street.
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hotel E, Guest Relations Manager at Edison Hotel Times Square, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear jack1170

An effusive expression of thanks for taking the time to post this wonderful review. Wow it seems you and your family have made the Edison your home in New York City. As you noted, we are centrally located and close to everything. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

4,510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Polish first
Thibodaux, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We have stayed at the Hotel Edison three times. The staff is helpful and friendly: front desk, Bellmen, Concierge, Housekeepers, and Transportation. The rooms were obviously recently updated and clean. The bathroom is small, but we weren't planning to hang out in there! It is a great location, central to the theaters and half block from Times Square. The area around Times Square is noisy, but that's to be expected. We used the "white noise" app and slept like babies! We will stay there again on future visits.

Dear Amy H

What makes us the most happy is satisfied guests, and this review is fabulous! Our aim is to always exceed our guests expectations and we are delighted to know our entire team has done that for you. We trust we will see you again soon.

Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Tip---Tuesdays and Friday around 5PM they have complimentary wine and cheese with live Jazz in the lobby and it's a nice touch. Tip---the gift shop in the lobby has a minimum of $5 purchase on a credit card so if you only want a bottle of water or candy bar ($1.50) you're out of luck.

The rooms are fairly stark and very small, but that's to be expected in NY. The rooms and rest of the hotel are clean (but things are old) and I'm a germaphobe and it passed my inspection. Comfortable bed with no sag. Very friendly staff and the service was exceptional. Housekeeping could not have been nicer. The location is fantastic because it's convenient to Broadway shows, Times Square, etc and feels very safe all around the surrounding area because there are lots of lights, businesses that are open late, and people. The style of the Edison is art deco, and they have some great murals in the lobby. Only constructive feedback for the staff would be to have the security personal at the elevators checking for your key (to make sure you're a hotel guest) smile when they ask for it and not make you feel like a criminal or that they're perturbed they had to ask to see it. A nice smile and nod would go along way:)

Side notes--- I'm not a huge fan of Franky Valli music but Jersey Boys is so well done and so well presented as a fascinating story that I absolutely loved it. Did the open bus Grayline tour and it was really cool, however they "very highly" recommended John's Pizza as the best in NY and my party as well as those around us thought it was awful. One person commented that it tasted like leftover Little Caesar's pizza and I said that that's an insult to Little Caesar…and I can't stand Litle Caesar pizza…so that should tell you how bad it tasted!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear ricktravels2000

Thank you for your superb review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We value every guests feedback and response as it will help us to continue to fulfil our commitments to providing excellent customer service and a superior guest experience. We will be sure to share your response with our staff and management team, our staff will be delighted to read it. Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Edison on your next trip.

Lund
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

If it wouldn´t be for the location I would have only given ++. Edison is an old worn down hotel that needs refurbishing quite badly. It´s generaly dirty, the carpet and the armchair has probably seen everything long time ago. Though the beds vere clean and the bathroom resonably clean. The cleaning lady did all she could. It was impossible to adjust the temperature in the shower. Either it was freezing cold or extreamly hot. You couldn´t adjust the temperature in the room. But there was a new flat screen. The staff at the desk was ok. Not too friendly but ok. i don´t know where they have taken the pics on the web site but they have nothing in common with the reality.
Edison is definitely not worh the money. You get a better hotel for the same amount. I wouldn´t stay there again and I wouldn´t recommend it to someone. But as I said the location is great.

Dear goldmann

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay and thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize for any concerns you may have had regarding your visit, and will certainly submit your comments to management. Our goal is to ensure your comfort, and we are sorry this was not the case. We truly are sorry you have left with a negative impression of the hotel and do hope that you will give us a second chance.

Kind Regards,
Fortaleza, CE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Overall it´s a ok hotel. I had a big problem with the mattress being soooo soft. Asked to change rooms 3 times to finally get it done. This was really the only downside of my staying. They have a shuttle service (paid) that is very convenient. Lower rooms may be kind of noisy, because it´s close to one theater and, when some famous actor is leaving (in my case was Denzel Washington) a little crowd was screaming a lot. May bother you, I found it unusual but ok. It´s part of the game. Get your tips ready though, they seem very underpaid over there and really counting on you to make the ends meet. If the price is right, I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Staff are very helpful and willing to help however the day before we checked out I asked if reception could call a shuttle service to get to Newark airport and I was told to use my mobile (I am from the UK so this was not an option) when I explained my situation I was told to find a payphone. We then asked the door man to help us and he offered to organize us transport for $85. The taxi took us to Newark airport, on arrival at the airport the taxi driver demanded $117, we where then trapped with an angry taxi driver. After having to pay the taxi driver the large sum of $117 we were left with no money in the airport. The rooms were average however not worth £100 a night each, the TV turned on randomly throughout the night, due to the strange air conditioning unit the window was half open with duck tape around it which made the nights restless. The hotel is in need a serious update and modernization. However I did not let this put a downer on my trip.

Room Tip: Have a signature room and organize own transfer service.