“Clean and great location w great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Edison Times Square

You added Hotel Edison Times Square to your Saves list
Hotel Edison Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 West 47th Street, Between Broadway and 8 Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #291 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Cincinnati
“Clean and great location w great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Tip---Tuesdays and Friday around 5PM they have complimentary wine and cheese with live Jazz in the lobby and it's a nice touch. Tip---the gift shop in the lobby has a minimum of $5 purchase on a credit card so if you only want a bottle of water or candy bar ($1.50) you're out of luck.

The rooms are fairly stark and very small, but that's to be expected in NY. The rooms and rest of the hotel are clean (but things are old) and I'm a germaphobe and it passed my inspection. Comfortable bed with no sag. Very friendly staff and the service was exceptional. Housekeeping could not have been nicer. The location is fantastic because it's convenient to Broadway shows, Times Square, etc and feels very safe all around the surrounding area because there are lots of lights, businesses that are open late, and people. The style of the Edison is art deco, and they have some great murals in the lobby. Only constructive feedback for the staff would be to have the security personal at the elevators checking for your key (to make sure you're a hotel guest) smile when they ask for it and not make you feel like a criminal or that they're perturbed they had to ask to see it. A nice smile and nod would go along way:)

Side notes--- I'm not a huge fan of Franky Valli music but Jersey Boys is so well done and so well presented as a fascinating story that I absolutely loved it. Did the open bus Grayline tour and it was really cool, however they "very highly" recommended John's Pizza as the best in NY and my party as well as those around us thought it was awful. One person commented that it tasted like leftover Little Caesar's pizza and I said that that's an insult to Little Caesar…and I can't stand Litle Caesar pizza…so that should tell you how bad it tasted!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hotel E, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear ricktravels2000

Thank you for your superb review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We value every guests feedback and response as it will help us to continue to fulfil our commitments to providing excellent customer service and a superior guest experience. We will be sure to share your response with our staff and management team, our staff will be delighted to read it. Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Edison on your next trip.

Kindest Regards,
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Lund
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

If it wouldn´t be for the location I would have only given ++. Edison is an old worn down hotel that needs refurbishing quite badly. It´s generaly dirty, the carpet and the armchair has probably seen everything long time ago. Though the beds vere clean and the bathroom resonably clean. The cleaning lady did all she could. It was impossible to adjust the temperature in the shower. Either it was freezing cold or extreamly hot. You couldn´t adjust the temperature in the room. But there was a new flat screen. The staff at the desk was ok. Not too friendly but ok. i don´t know where they have taken the pics on the web site but they have nothing in common with the reality.
Edison is definitely not worh the money. You get a better hotel for the same amount. I wouldn´t stay there again and I wouldn´t recommend it to someone. But as I said the location is great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear goldmann

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay and thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize for any concerns you may have had regarding your visit, and will certainly submit your comments to management. Our goal is to ensure your comfort, and we are sorry this was not the case. We truly are sorry you have left with a negative impression of the hotel and do hope that you will give us a second chance.

Kind Regards,
Guest Relations
Fortaleza, CE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Overall it´s a ok hotel. I had a big problem with the mattress being soooo soft. Asked to change rooms 3 times to finally get it done. This was really the only downside of my staying. They have a shuttle service (paid) that is very convenient. Lower rooms may be kind of noisy, because it´s close to one theater and, when some famous actor is leaving (in my case was Denzel Washington) a little crowd was screaming a lot. May bother you, I found it unusual but ok. It´s part of the game. Get your tips ready though, they seem very underpaid over there and really counting on you to make the ends meet. If the price is right, I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Staff are very helpful and willing to help however the day before we checked out I asked if reception could call a shuttle service to get to Newark airport and I was told to use my mobile (I am from the UK so this was not an option) when I explained my situation I was told to find a payphone. We then asked the door man to help us and he offered to organize us transport for $85. The taxi took us to Newark airport, on arrival at the airport the taxi driver demanded $117, we where then trapped with an angry taxi driver. After having to pay the taxi driver the large sum of $117 we were left with no money in the airport. The rooms were average however not worth £100 a night each, the TV turned on randomly throughout the night, due to the strange air conditioning unit the window was half open with duck tape around it which made the nights restless. The hotel is in need a serious update and modernization. However I did not let this put a downer on my trip.

Room Tip: Have a signature room and organize own transfer service.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Yarmouth, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights over Easter. I felt like the hotel was trying to gouge as much money out of me as possible - ridiculous wifi fees, business center we had to pay for to print out a train ticket. Our room was small and outdated, the heater made a god awful noise. The bathroom was the original from whenever the hotel was built, sink cracked, very tiny. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is my third time staying at this hotel. We were there April 2014 during spring break. It is two doors down from Times Square and steps away from some of the theaters. The room was spacious, even though the bathroom was rather small. Only problem was the fact there was a pipe in the bathroom that was extremely hot. We had to turn the air conditioning on in the bedroom to keep the bathroom bearable. The staff as a whole was friendly. Anita, one of the concierges, was extremely helpful in arranging for tickets to shows.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle away from Times Square are not as noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

First thing, I have never liked staying in Times Square which is certainly a convenient location to visit the city by subway, but certainly not a good place to sleep as it is very noisy, especially in those days where they are making a lot of heavy work in Times Square (so bring your earplugs if you plan on staying there). Second, the hotel leaves an impression of railroad station as it is always full of groups and people. The lobby is average-nice, and the front desk clerks reasonably helpful. Then the only thing you need to know about this hotel is that there are renovated rooms and not renovated rooms. Non renovated rooms are old and tired, probably worth a 1 star motel. I think they go from the 7th to 17th floor or something like this. I was assigned a non renovated room first, and then decided to switch to renovated (I paid a signature room upgrade). Renovated rooms are pretty decent, they have some pressure issue to bring the water into the room and the debit is thus very limited, but bedding is OK, and furniture is new, so those rooms match a 3-3.5 star standard.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Edison Times Square? Share your experiences!