“Okay but. . .” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Edison Times Square

You added Hotel Edison Times Square to your Saves list
Hotel Edison Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 West 47th Street, Between Broadway and 8 Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #299 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Okay but. . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Staff are very helpful and willing to help however the day before we checked out I asked if reception could call a shuttle service to get to Newark airport and I was told to use my mobile (I am from the UK so this was not an option) when I explained my situation I was told to find a payphone. We then asked the door man to help us and he offered to organize us transport for $85. The taxi took us to Newark airport, on arrival at the airport the taxi driver demanded $117, we where then trapped with an angry taxi driver. After having to pay the taxi driver the large sum of $117 we were left with no money in the airport. The rooms were average however not worth £100 a night each, the TV turned on randomly throughout the night, due to the strange air conditioning unit the window was half open with duck tape around it which made the nights restless. The hotel is in need a serious update and modernization. However I did not let this put a downer on my trip.

Room Tip: Have a signature room and organize own transfer service.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Yarmouth, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights over Easter. I felt like the hotel was trying to gouge as much money out of me as possible - ridiculous wifi fees, business center we had to pay for to print out a train ticket. Our room was small and outdated, the heater made a god awful noise. The bathroom was the original from whenever the hotel was built, sink cracked, very tiny. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clark S

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is my third time staying at this hotel. We were there April 2014 during spring break. It is two doors down from Times Square and steps away from some of the theaters. The room was spacious, even though the bathroom was rather small. Only problem was the fact there was a pipe in the bathroom that was extremely hot. We had to turn the air conditioning on in the bedroom to keep the bathroom bearable. The staff as a whole was friendly. Anita, one of the concierges, was extremely helpful in arranging for tickets to shows.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle away from Times Square are not as noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

First thing, I have never liked staying in Times Square which is certainly a convenient location to visit the city by subway, but certainly not a good place to sleep as it is very noisy, especially in those days where they are making a lot of heavy work in Times Square (so bring your earplugs if you plan on staying there). Second, the hotel leaves an impression of railroad station as it is always full of groups and people. The lobby is average-nice, and the front desk clerks reasonably helpful. Then the only thing you need to know about this hotel is that there are renovated rooms and not renovated rooms. Non renovated rooms are old and tired, probably worth a 1 star motel. I think they go from the 7th to 17th floor or something like this. I was assigned a non renovated room first, and then decided to switch to renovated (I paid a signature room upgrade). Renovated rooms are pretty decent, they have some pressure issue to bring the water into the room and the debit is thus very limited, but bedding is OK, and furniture is new, so those rooms match a 3-3.5 star standard.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This hotel should be the best deal for NYC if you're looking for a nice place ON Times Square and don't want to spend a fortune. We had a Signature suite on the 19th floor with Times square view.
A suite in NYC on Times Square for about $300 including tax!!! Very clean, nice bathroom, so spacious I can't believe it's in NYC.
While checking out, I forgot my coat with 3 passport cards in it. Called the security when I realized but I was too far away from hotel by then. Security officer Alex found the coat and confirmed the cards were in it and fedex'd it to me right away.
If I ever go back to NYC Times Square again, I don't have to search for hotels now that I've stayed in Edison.

Room Tip: Pick a signature room/suite.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Very good location, a few meters walk to Times Square, Broadway. Close to theaters, shops, restaurants, bars. Staff are helpful and accommodating. The room assigned to us was a bit small but tolerable. The air conditioning/heater is centralized I guess because we couldn't find the controls to set the temperature, we didn't bother to ask too. Vehicles pass by the street all the time and since it's near Times Square too, so you might be bothered by vehicles honking and the sirens. Airport transfer: it is cheaper to arrange for a transfer when you arrive at JFK to the hotel through the airport's Ground Transportation desk (around $16). Booking online through the agents will cost you about $27. Cab ride might reach to about $50- $65. The hotel's diner on the ground floor offers old school meals, which is fine. There are better restaurants outside if you want a good meal. I would definitely recommend this to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank mavenz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a great location, but that's the only great thing about it. The room was spacious and clean, except for the couple of pubic hairs we found under the sheets. Make sure you go with the newly renovated rooms because ours was "all in all" very nice.

Pros: big room, newly renovated, great location.
Cons: noisy outside, mildly rude hotel staff, and bed was very firm.

Oh, I almost forgot: No matter what the hotel staff sais on the phone, there IS a $50 deposite when you get there. I was told there was no deposite when i called to reserve the room. I actually called back to make sure and somebody else confirmed that there was no deposite. Sure enough apon arriving, i was charged a $50 deposite.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends