“Good and bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Edison Hotel Times Square

Save Saved
You added Edison Hotel Times Square to your Saves list
Edison Hotel Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 West 47th Street, Between 8th Avenue and Broadway, New York City, NY 10036   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #292 of 455 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Let's start with the pros!

This hotel is best for the perfect location of Times Square. The hotel is really in the middle of broadway which makes it perfect for going to the theatre for example! Good location to drop off your shopping bags half way throughout the day also!

It is a very old building of art deco style which is partly why we chose this particular hotel. It is a lot smaller (reception area) than it appears on the website but this wasn't a problem. I really loved that it retained the old glamour of the decade it was built.

There is a small diner attached to the hotel and we found it the best value for breakfast. A steak and eggs only cost about $12! The staff were really polite and friendly too despite being rushed off their feet.

The Rum Bar which is part of the hotel is really quaint and very Prohibition era styled. However, the drinks were EXPENSIVE. I mean very very expensive. After buying about 2 beers, 3 cocktails and 2 shots I was really shocked that our bill was $130. However, the piano man was great and again added to the feel of the 1920's.

The cheese and wine event on Fridays is really good fun and they have a jazz band too - this is free for guests and we really enjoyed this.

Now the cons.. :-|

Unfortunately, despite informing the hotel that we were here on Honeymoon, they gave us a very old battered room on the 16th floor. The heating in this room was unbearable. I have heard people on Trip Advisor mention this problem before and in all honesty I thought they were likely to be exaggerating, but they weren’t!
We attempted to turn off the heating all together but this seemed to do nothing. We therefore asked someone to come and help. A handyman came and tried to turn off the radiator and claimed they had been successful in doing so but again the heating remained on (full blast).
On the third day of our stay we went down to physically explain we could not stay in the room due to the heating. Someone then came up and told us that the radiator was broken, but they didn’t offer to move us. So we stayed in a boiling room throughout our stay.

As you can see the pros outweighed the cons. Would I stay here again? Yes, possibly! As stated, the location is great if you have never been to NY before and want to stay in an area where all the action is.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

The location of this hotel is amazing! The staff were very friendly, but were also stern and serious when it came to keeping the hotel safe. It was very much appreciated, considering that anyone off the street could walk into the hotel to admire the beautiful Art Deco lobby. I believe that we stayed in a classic room, but the decor doesn't quite match the pictures on the hotel's website. By no means was our room in bad condition, though. The bed was so comfortable, I fell asleep in no time!
We did have a few issues with the room, though. 1) I would like to suggest that the Edison install powerbars/powerstrips so that some plugs could be freed up for recharging mobile phones or laptops. I went out and bought one so that my 3 roommates could also plug in their phones without having to unplug the TV, Clock-radio or lamps. 2) The TV in room 1119 mysteriously turned on in the middle of the night. The remote control was sitting on the nightstand, untouched. After shutting the TV off, it activated itself again around 6am. It was rather strange. 3) The water in the shower would go from cold to hot even if you didn't touch the taps. I'm not sure if this is a hotel-wide issue, or just our bathroom. It wasn't a massive water temperature shift, so I didn't freeze or burn myself, but it was enough to make it a slight inconvenience when showering.
All in all, this was a very memorable and enjoyable trip. I would definitely recommend staying at the Edison Hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This was our first trip to USA and spent 10 nights at Edison. Stayed on 22nd floor in room 2220, signature with 2 queen beds. We had great views from two sides of building. As a wheelchair user, room had plenty of space. Beds and linen, duvets and pillows exceptionally comfortable. Housekeeping was great- loads of fresh towels daily, robes, flannels. Coffee and tea making machine although we did bring a travel kettle which we used a lot. No cups/mugs only paper so its worth bringing one if u drink a lot of tea/coffee-we bought one from the gift shop! All staff very helpful and courteous. Had breakfast in adjoining café every day- great food, service and value. Guys on the door brill at helping me in my wheelchair. The Rum house bar is great with live music and cosy ambience. Have no hesitation in recommending Edison. Would go back in a flash!

Room Tip: Top floor for great views and renovated rooms.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I am an easy going guy and I don't care that much if the tub is old or the room is not that bright...I need a clean room which I can control the temperature and have a window that I can open. and quiet enough so I can sleep. The receptions and cleaning lady were all kind..they didn't have refrigerator in the room but when we asked for it they brought one for us. No free wireless any were which I think was good because it makes you come out of the hotel, and at least sit in the Starbucks. you have two Starbucks at the both ends of the street, and a good pizza place near the hotel. the price was higher than I signed up for... I though I am going to pay 110 $ per night for 6 nights, but it comes up 139$ with all the taxes and everything,.. , There is no need for me to say that the location is great as you already know it I suppose.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We have been staying at this hotel for years, at least 15. Since I was a kid! Suddenly it is very low rent and disappointing. The room we received this time was in horrible condition and needs desperately to be updated. Wires open on the floor, no outlets, ripped up furniture and walls, a broken window shade. There are also suddenly tons of mean security guards in the lobby ordering you around to stand in a certain way, not stand in a certain area... For no apparent reason. I am 24 and came with my mother and I felt as if I was being treated like a stupid child just for standing in my own hotel's lobby waiting to check in. We were rudely told to move over about 6 inches to the left when checking in for no apparent reason - feels very unnecessary and as if we were misbehaving children because we didn't line up 6 inches to the left? There was no crowd or activity going on that would warrant us to be moved, we were completely out of the way. Extremely un-classy. Staff was very cold this time. Not sure what is going on here, but it was enough to not want to return so our 15 year run is over. Looking into other hotels in NYC from now on.

• Stayed April 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the. Edison for 5 nights from thee 27th March.
After reading one of the previous reviews we arrived with a little trepidation.
We were on the 15th floor, overlooking 47th street so a bit of a view, we could just about see the Hudson in one direction and onto 7th Avenue in the other.
The room was a good size with a large closet, a desk with chair, a very large chest of drawers and 2 large bedside lockers. The bathroom was a compact size but had a bath so better than some! The TV was a decent sized LCD interactive model and worked very well.
Overall the room was in very acceptable order, a bit of fraying on the carpet edge but not really an issue. The bed was large enough, comfortable and clean. We had plenty of towels, changed daily. The room maid seemed to do a great job of keeping things replenished and clean.
The only slight gripe I had was the noise. There are lots of road works nearby and, because of the way the air-con unit was fitted into the aperture of one of the sash casements, there were gaps around the edge covered only with thin plastic. This allowed extra noise in and it seemed night time was when the noisiest works took place. I had to wear earplugs (which I often do anyway) which solved the issue but my wife did mention the noise quite a bit.
One other small issue was the cost of the WiFi. Most other hotels now supply free Wifi but it was a cost option at the Edison. $ 25 for 3 days so not cheap either. These days this should be addressed. But certainly worth taking into account. That said, e Wifi was fast and reliable.
The staff were great, a little stressed at the front desk sometimes but understandably. The cafe staff were friendly as were the bartenders in the Rum Room. The lobby is fantastic and very welcoming. Free safety deposit boxes were a bonus.
We would certainly visit again based on this experience.

Room Tip: Go high and ask for a rear room if view isn't an issue.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel E, Guest Relations Manager at Edison Hotel Times Square, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Tommyteacake

Thank your for your recent review of our property. We appreciate all your comments, including the pros and cons list. It’s through feedback such as yours that we are able to see various aspects of the property form the guest's viewpoint. We will certainly pass your comments about our WI-FI along to the appropriate departments, so we can improve our service. Looking forward to welcoming you again and your comments will be taken into consideration and hopefully put into action.

Kindest Regards,
Guest Relations
birmingham uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Spent 4 nights at the above hotel. The room was tired and needed sprucing up 5th floor.
On the brighter side the staff and hotel was clean and very friendly. Clean towels and bed room cleaned daily, and the location was brilliant.

So on the whole a nice hotel but the room could have been better.

Room Tip: Cannot advise unless you check with the hotel when booking I believe some rooms are being updated on...
Dear jayney1964

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted you had good experience with us. Please note we have renovated many of our rooms and have introduced our Signature rooms. We encourage you to visit our website to view the photos. We look forward to your next visit, and are confident you will notice the changes.

Kind Regards,
Guest Relations

Been to Edison Hotel Times Square? Share your experiences!