“Central Manhattan hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Edison Times Square

You added Hotel Edison Times Square to your Saves list
Hotel Edison Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 West 47th Street, Between Broadway and 8 Avenue, New York City, NY 10036   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Tripadvisor Special 20%
Ranked #294 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Dublin
“Central Manhattan hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just returned after 5 nights in Edison Times Square. The location of this hotel is excellent. Within walking distance of Broadway theatres , shopping etc. it is an old building with impressive foyer and quaint cafe that served good breakfast at a reasonable price. The bar was a bit too dark but had live music at night. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The suite we occupied was on the top (22nd) floor. It had two bedrooms,one with Queen size bed and the other with 2 singles all of which were very comfortable but probably more suited to parents with children rather then 4 adults. The decor was dated and could have done with a makeover.
The bathroom was located off the 2nd bedroom and was very small. Bath tub needs to be upgraded. There is no ventilation in the bathroom which makes it uncomfortable. Being so high up we were not bothered by normal noise from Time Square but unfortunately there were night repairs going on and the jack hammers kept us awake for 2 nights ( nothing the hotel can do about this!).
All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Edison and would return but would request an upgraded room.

Room Tip: Request an upgraded room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for this positive review and your comments of how we can take The Hotel Edison even higher. We cherish our guests and strive to make them feel like they are at home away from home. Looking forward to welcoming you again and your comments will be taken into consideration and hopefully put into action. Please try to keep in touch with us via social media.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I recently spent two nights at this hotel, in a Signature Room (2nd and 3rd November). I had booked for six nights, but due to Hurricane Sandy could not get into NY until four days later. The room reservation and transportation staff were incredibly helpful and understanding, and had no problem with two delays in my arrival. On finally reaching New York, I heaved a sigh of relief!

The hotel is fantastically located half a block from Times Square, and although it was only five days after the hurricane, you wouldn’t have thought anything had happened to the City. Everything was running as normal in the mid-town area – subway, buses, shops open, Broadway shows back in business, etc.

I’d stayed at the Edison once before, but this time I elected to book one of the new “Signature” rooms, with a queen bed. It was not enormous, but tastefully decorated, with everything I needed, including a coffee machine and flat-screen TV, and plenty of closet space. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, with not much surface to put one’s toiletries, but once again had everything I needed (including a bath-tub, which I especially requested). The room was quiet, with a nice feature being that you could open the windows to get some fresh air.

The cherry on the cake was the exceptional service I received from Victor Aybar, the Night Manager. I was struggling at one of the computers late on my second night, trying to do an online check-in for my flight the next day. Victor came to check on whether I had a problem, and if he could help. He was like a knight in shining armour! Long story short, he personally assisted me by phoning the airline (waited on the phone for half an hour for a reply), got to the root of the problem, and then sat with me at his own personal computer and helped me print a boarding pass! This was now 1am in the morning! I just couldn’t believe his kindness and patience with a female in distress! That was definitely a highlight of my very happy stay at the Edison. I will never think of staying anywhere else in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
We thank you for staying at the Edison Hotel and are thrilled to know your enjoyed your stay in one of our Signature rooms! Thank you for the great comments regarding the staff and the great location of the hotel. Victor will be delighted to hear of your appreciation for his services. We thank you for recognizing the staff as they work hard to make sure every guest has a wonderful stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon during your next stay in New York.
Peterhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I am just back from New York and spent 5 nights in the Edison Hotel. We were 3 ladies looking for a hotel close to all the sights and the Edison is certainly that. It is right round the corner from Times Square where everything is going on. Two of us shared a room with Queen beds and the other lady had a room with 2 single beds. The rooms were quite large considering we were in New York and well appointed. The only minus was no tea/coffee making facilities in either room but I had looked on Trip Advisor before travelling so was aware of this so I packed my travel kettle and some mugs so went prepared.
We were surprised to note that the bed linen was changed on a daily basis as we have never had this in any other hotel in any other country.
The staff were really friendly and always helpful if we had any query.
We ate breakfast each morning in the hotel cafe as the food was really good and the service great.The portions were plentiful which meant we did not need anything more to eat till we went for supper. We had supper a couple of times in the cafe as well and always enjoyed what we had.
One of the afternoons we were invited to join the other guests to free wine in the seated area which we thought was very hospitable.Seems this is something new but which they hope to continue on a regular basis.
On the minus side there is a lot of noise outside the hotel from traffic etc which we did hear even though we were on the 11th floor but do not let this stop you from booking this hotel as there is no noise within the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, this hotel goes to the 22nd and not beside the lifts as there are 6 altogether a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
We are so grateful that you have taken the time to post feedback about your stay with us. It gives us great pleasure when guests are satisfied. Please sign up for special offers on our oficial website. We look forward to your next stay with great anticipation.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I couldn't be happier with my stay here. The location is about as good as you are going to get. The room is small (but all are in the city) but very clean. The staff it's great as well. For the price I'd keep coming back to the Edison!

• Stayed November 2012
We truly appreciate all the wonderful comments about the hotel and our staff. Compliments such as yours are the reason we are so encouraged and committed to providing the best service to our guests. Thank you again, and we look forward to providing you with the same level of hospitality during your next stay.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We, 3 adults & 1 four yr old child, stayed in a signature suite for 5nights. The first room had no heat and then my 2nd room was a bit smaller. The a/c in the 2nd room worked but you had to play with it periodically. Sometimes it would blow hot air on cold and vice versa. I was scared to ask for another room. Every room in N.Y. is small,though. They told me even though it was sized different it was still considered the same category. Even though the rooms were upgraded they truly were nothing spectacular. Please, please, please DO NOT get a non upgraded room. I saw previous rooms and you can tell by the carpet on different floors and doors that they are old and in need of some tlc. When we switched rooms the one thing that both the maintenance guy and bell boy(who helped move my luggage) said was " be sure to look at the room before agreeing to switch and make sure it's an newer one." The price is ok considering the location. Any other place charges about $80 more per night. One last thing - be sure o print out your hotel itinerary. They were going to charge me an extra $300 in charges they said weren't added( additional person charge +tax). Luckily, I had my printed copy so they honored the lower amount.

Room Tip: Book a Signature room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We do have varying size rooms in our hotel but during times of high occupancy, as may have been the case during your stay, we must make use of all the rooms at our disposal. We are glad that you did get a room to your satisfaction. Our Signature rooms are all completely renovated and we are glad that you recommend them. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Edison. Please be sure to sign up on our website for special offers.
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Excellent location in New York. Only a few meters from Times square and subway station. The rooms are a bit worn down, bathroom needs a make-over. No good place to eat breakfast, only a cafeteria with very loud environment... It's a good thing that starbucks is located just outside the hotell. But still, location is excellent... New beds in the rooms though and they were excelent as well. So this is a good place to stay, in midtown Manhattan. It might be that I'll stay here during my next visit in the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from discerning guests such as yourself. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Edison Hotel New York. Pupose of holiday was part leisure and part Wedding so location was a must. This hotel is in a great spot for tourists. Literally 100 yards from the Ticket Booth in central Time Square. Hotel is 1920's/Art Decor. Very Authentic hotel. Has a vast reception, small bar called The Rum House, Breakfast Diner and an Italian Restaurant called Sofia's I think. Bar was great, good music (mainly Blues/Jazz etc with a pianist). Breakfast Diner was good priced, huge portions and a typical NY brekkie. Italian Restaurant however was awful. Bad service, bad food, bad atmosphere, poor decor and rude, miserable staff. Ordered food, took one bite and left. Shame as it could have been good having been in the hotel. Manager didnt seem to care that we criticised the food either which was sad,

Upon checkin we asked for a newly refurbished room. Which we got, large room, two Queen Beds. Bathroom is small but the room was spotless with a vast amount of fresh towels each day and clean bedding daily. Only downside was the noise. It's an old building so large heavy doors/oldlift shafts and lift doors so banging/slamming throughout the night. We had an 8th floor room and the noise from the street was a pain. We met people who stayed on the 22nd floor who heard nothing, so next time I return I'll def ask for a higher room - but will they be decorated ?? I'd have to check as couldnt handle flowered bedding and an old room for a stay.

Rooms were warm, They didnt have Air Con as far as I could see. If I came back during warmer months I would have to check and see if they had rooms with Air Con or would definitely have to stay elsewhere.

I'd def return to the Edison, it's a perfect location and price wise is perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for newly decorated and if possible a higher room. Also we were opp the lifts which was a pain...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay with us went. Needless to say all comments are welcome and we take everything constructively. Sofia's restaurant is individually owned and operated, but we will certainly pass your comments along to their management. Please consider one of our Signature rooms for a future stay. They are fully renovated and are on the higher floors (19th & 20th floor). We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Hotel Edison Times Square? Share your experiences!