“1/2 block from Times Square for a great price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Edison Hotel Times Square

Save Saved
You added Edison Hotel Times Square to your Saves list
Edison Hotel Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 West 47th Street, Between 8th Avenue and Broadway, New York City, NY 10036   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Tripadvisor Special 15%
Ranked #292 of 449 hotels in New York City
“1/2 block from Times Square for a great price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My Mom and I stayed in a room with two twin beds from Sept 29 to Oct 5, 2012. The room was a bit small with nothing special, but we weren't staying for the perks. It was great for the price and proximity to Times Square. The room had a paint crack in the ceiling of the hallway. One small window that looked into the side of the rest of the hotel. Some paint was peeling in the bathroom as well. The bathroom was only large enough for one person at a time. The restaurant on the main floor was decent for the one breakfast we ate there. We ate at the restaurant one night before one of the Broadway shows, quick service and kind people. You need a room key to get past the security from the hotel entrance up to the rooms. There was some filth behind one of the dressers in our room so the first morning we pulled out the stand, when we got back the area had been cleaned and everything put back into place. There wasn't an in room safe but were able to obtain one from the front desk, so we had a key and the staff had a key and both keys were needed to open the safes. You go into a special little room to retrieve your items. We didn't spend much time at the hotel, and is exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Edison Hotel Times Square, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were pleased with our staff. Please accept our apologies for our shortcomings. We would love the opportunity to show you even betterf hospitality on your next trip.

4,887 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just a few steps away from the subway line & Times Square. Few blocks away is Rockefeller center and few blocks from that are the shops at 5th avenue.

Definitely a place to stay if you just need a place to sleep. It's an older no frills hotel. The room feel like a motel. No fluffy mattress & pillows, fancy toiletries or stocked refrigerator. But it's economical and conveniently located to main attractions of NYC.

• Stayed October 2012
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Edison Hotel Times Square, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
We thank you for your courteous comment and rating. We indeed do have the advantage of being in a great location, in the heart of almost everything. We look forward to serving your family and you, on your next visit to New York City.
Benfleet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Myself and two friends stayed at the edison for 1 week from October 14th-21st. This was our first time in the amazing city of New York.

The best thing about the hotel is its location just around the corner from Times square and all its attractions. Whilst the Empire state/Rockfella/Central park are close enough by to walk too.

The rooms are very traditional maybe a little old fashioned for some(our room could of done with a lick of paint maybe), and it was a mission to find some spare plugs(we used the alarm clock one but there are some behind curtains). The bathrooms are a tad small but very nice and cleaned every day. The cleaners do a great job and are very friendly. The Rum bar in the hotel is also very good decent price and very decent measures!! there is also a little mini mart next door which is pretty decent.

The negative things about the hotel is that you can hear the noise from the roads early in the morning Also the airport transfer service fails to mention that for the first hour you are going round the other hotels picking up other holiday makers. took us nearly 2 hours 2 get to the airport because of this and the traffic. My advice just get cab which if enough of u probley works out about same price too.

Overall would reccomend the hotel as a great place to eplore the city from.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the positive comments regarding the cleanliness, service and location of the hotel. We are glad you chose the Edison and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in New York.
Coleraine, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Firstly, it has taken me almost 7 months to write this review! I booked this hotel in January 2012 for the end of April 2012. I loved the idea of 'Art Deco' surroundings and the history of the building. Also the fact that there were scenes from 'The Godfather' filmed there, was also a great bonus. I was aware of both positive & negative reviews, but went with a very open mind. Tripadvisor is brilliant for pros and cons, but ultimately,you can't please everyone all the time. I didn't want to be too harsh initially, but after reading some of the reviews since I stayed there, I feel compelled to write MY version of events...I had the misfortune of staying in this absolute dive for 5 nights at the end of April 2012. My niece and I travelled from Ireland to meet my sister, who had travelled from Dallas, and I booked this hotel on line via Expedia - who also must not be recommended. I genuinely do not know where to start with this review, but will give as much info as I can. My sister arrived at the hotel 15 mins before we did and had checked in at reception. At this stage, they requested a credit card from her for 'incidentals' as the room had been paid for in full. This is standard practice anywhere, and I didn't think anything of it then...more to come on that later! We went to our room and the first thing to hit us was the smell!! Think stinking sewers and mildew!! We entered to find the filthiest room ever. There was a huge bed in 1 room and a dirty sofa in another small cubbyhole. The counterpane on the bed was so dirty it was shining! The walls and bathroom door were covered in some sort of dried 'matter' - either blood or human secretions. It was truly disgusting. I immediately went back down to reception to ask for the room to be changed and was greeted by a surly young man who was totally disinterested and told me that the hotel was full and there was no chance of another room. I told him this was unacceptable as the room was filthy, he gave me the name of 1 of his colleagues who was off duty and wouldn't be back until the following day. I asked for a refund so that we could stay elsewhere and he told me to 'take it up with Expedia - you booked it with them'. The Edison had their money and didn't give a toss for customer care. We wasted the entire day waiting around for the member of staff only to be told to 'stay about' until she came in. I explained that I had only 5 days in NYC and didn't want to waste 1 waiting on a member of staff in a hotel lobby. There really is too much to go into but eventually we were allocated a new room on the 3rd day!! We were told this new room was 'a suite', but it was basically the same layout of room only a bit tidier than the previous. I specifically asked if there was going to be an extra charge and was CLEARLY informed that 'because we had been treated so badly, 'I will look after you ladies and you will not be charged any extra. I'd like to make it clear that I am genuinely not hard to please and take no joy in being so negative about this establishment, but I work hard for my money and all I ask is for a clean bed to sleep in and a bit of common courtesy - The Edison had neither of these. On the 4th night my sister took violently ill with food poisoning, she was passing and vomiting vast amounts of blood. She passed out in the bathroom and I went down to reception to ask them should I call an ambulance or call a cab to take her to the ER.Being in a foreign country, I was unsure of the procedure. I explained the situation and was told 'it's a personal choice'! They didn't offer to call either service for me. I ran out and asked a bellboy at the front to call me a cab. I had to physically carry my sister out on to the street, without help from any of the reception staff, who watched us, the bellboy was the only 1 to offer assistance. My sister was admitted to the hospital that night and given a blood transfusion and a colonoscopy. The hotel have yet to enquire how she was. On our final day, my sister had no option but to discharge herself from hospital and needed to get her flight back to Dallas - my niece and I were not due to check out until the early hours of the next day. On our checking out, I enquired about any 'extras' to be told that $489.00 was charged to my sister's credit card for the 'upgrade' of our room!! I challenged them about this and was told the female manager who had told us there would be no extra charge was off duty for the next 3 days and the amount had to be paid. I was FURIOUS!! My sister never got the money back and The Edison had the audacity to tell me they would consider giving me a better rate the next time we stayed with them - I wouldn't stay if it were free!! Please don't spend your hard earned money in this awful place. It's dirty, dank, smelly, unfriendly, unprofessional and downright horrible. Also, if The Edison care to respond to my review, it will be a standard repetition of all the other negative review responses...this is untrue..., you were offered..., staff were professional..., we were unaware of the situation... AN ABSOLUTE DISAPPOINTMENT AND COMPLETE RIPOFF!!!
They deserve no rating at all.

Room Tip: Don't even think about staying in this hovel!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
We are deeply disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay here. We make every effort to make the stay of all our guests most satisfactory and enjoyable. Please accept our sincerest apologies that you were not treated as expected and not accorded the hospitality you expected and paid for. Please be assured that your comments will be brought to the attention of management for further action. We trust that your sister is doing well, and wish you and your family the best. Once again, we apologize for the disappointing experience you had in the hotel. It is definitely not acceptable in any way. We would like to assure you that all matters raised are being dealt with to ensure that this kind of service is never repeated.
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My Friend and I (we bothwear glasses LOL) stayed at The Edison for four nights. We were a lttle disappointed with our room (319,very tired and in need of a lick of paint ), and being on the 3rd floor we were disturbed through the night with a dripping tap in the bathroom, Traffic noise and Trash trucks at 3am. The next day we didnt make a fuss, we asked to be moved and the helpful reception staff moved us to the 14th Floor(1410), the room was fresher and the noise level was much better.

The location was amazing literally around the corner from Times square and a subway station..brilliant...

The staff at the Hotel are very friendly and helpful.

The hotel Diner was good too and their pancakes(huge)and coffe set us up for the day nicely.

If you want an ultra modern hotel that is clinical and looks like any hotel in any city then this one is not for you.

Would go back to the Edison .

Room Tip: if your a light sleeper, ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for this positive review and your comments of how we can take The Hotel Edison even higher. We cherish our guests and strive to make them feel like they are at home away from home. Looking forward to welcoming you again and your comments regarding a new coat of paint will be taken into consideration and hopefully put into action.
South West Rocks, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our first time in New York and our stay at The Edison contributed to making it a memorable stay.
The location was great only minutes from Times Square.Hotel staff were very friendly and obliging,we found the elevator noise annoying the first night and when we reported this we were promptly moved to another room.Breakfast very good.The rooms are dated but clean but this is NYC so who sits around in a hotel room? I would stay there again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from elevators,the noise is very annoying with only a short quiet break in th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you had a comfortable stay at the Hotel Edison and found our facilities and location satisfying to your travel needs.
On behalf of the entire staff I want to thank you for your feedback. We will be looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Edison.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Fantastic hotel, staff always happy to help and right next to Times Square with only a 10 minute walk to central park! Grey line bus tours stop really close by aswell and theres a great wee cafe right beside the hotel to get some food or drinks before exploring the city in the morning. Would definitely stay here again if going to New York!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We are delighted that we managed to deliver a great experience for you.
As you noted, we are centrally located and close to everything as well as theaters with easy access to other points of interest, both by taxi and subway, which makes us an ideal location to explore New York.

Been to Edison Hotel Times Square? Share your experiences!