“Instant recognition of quality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tuscany - A St Giles Boutique Hotel

You added The Tuscany - A St Giles Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
The Tuscany - A St Giles Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct & Save!
Ranked #73 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Baltimore, MD
“Instant recognition of quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

After more than 30 decades of visiting New York once or twice a year and sampling at least 40 hotels, I'd put the Tuscany in the top percent. (This review is late; my stay was in the spring.) I confess I was expecting a bit of attitude and whole lot of fake hipness, but the greeting at the door put my mind at ease, as did the genuine pleasantness of the reception desk. (I was in a party of three people/two rooms. We arrived at least an hour early and were expecting to just check bags and return later, but were given rooms quickly.) Of course, the room is what counts the most, and that surprised me, too. I have stayed in rooms that were about the size of the bathroom at the Tuscany. The room itself wasn't just spacious, by NYC standards, but what I would call welcoming -- cool decor, very clean and fresh feeling. My favorite element was the layout that put a good amount of space between the bed and the door, always a bonus. (I also remember being impressed by the fact that re-painting of the hallways was going on the next morning -- something I only knew after leaving the room. Not a sound from the painters could be heard inside the room. That might not seem like a bid deal, unless you've had the misfortune of staying in places where workmen reveal no regard for guests at all.) The whole experience was, in a word, classy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

What a great little gem! Decor is very cool but not over the top. Our room was immaculate and luxurious! We were happily surprised to be upgraded by hotel upon check in. Great staff. A real class act. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Upon check in at 8pm I asked for a room “away from the elevator” and was admonished by the evening clerk “Shane” that “if you want a room away from the elevator don’t book the cheapest studio room”. That’s a quote. Well Shane, I am traveling alone on business and booked a single room with a king sized bed. What else would one have assumed that I would need traveling alone for two nights? I really don’t need snooty lectures from the front desk clerk an hour before bed. An answer like “single rooms are all near the elevator sir, but really not loud at all, and I’m sure you will like the room” is more what one expects from a hospitality venue and just as easy to conjure up as Shane’s rude response.

On the second evening, trying to arrange a morning car to the airport (which his coworker was perfectly willing to handle earlier) Shane’s tone made it clear that he was annoyed at the request. I’m not sure what sorts of activities he expects in his position, but apparently guest service isn't one of them. He instead shouted out to the doorman and said “this guy needs to arrange a car to the airport”. I've stayed in luxury hotels all over the world and that is the first time a desk clerk has referred to me as “this guy”.

Upon check out I attempted to get change from the front desk to tip the doorman. The front desk person in the morning said that she couldn't make change and told me to “ask the guy working at the bar”. The guy at the bar declined as well and suggested I “go to the convenience store across the street” (another quote). Seriously? In a “luxury” hotel lobby it is impossible for a guest to get change for $20? I’m supposed to walk across the street to a NY convenience store?

Newsflash management- All over your advertising you bill your hotel as a “luxury” hotel. The first thing one expects in a luxury hotel is hotel staff trained in hospitality. These people are just course. The exception was the doorman with whom I interacted just a little, but he seemed fine.

Otherwise, the shower had a huge peeling area from god knows what (photo attached). Not attractive. The windows were covered in other guest’s finger prints, and what other prints, I don’t know. Another reviewer noted the disgusting windows. The recent “luxury remodel” was a lot of basic products from The Tile Shop. Don’t expect to be swept away. There was loud club music in the lobby/restaurant bar when I was down there, even in the morning. So, spending time there wasn't really appealing.

The room was fairly quiet which was a positive and overall relatively acceptable. Had the front desk staff been pleasant I would likely have considered the rest of it not important. Management- your front desk staff have strayed far from the concept of hospitality. If staff at my company spoke with a client in that fashion they’d be unemployed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We flew the red eye arriving at JFK around 7:30am. We are an Emergency Physician and a Paramedic. We both worked a shift before leaving. We arrived at St Giles around 9am hoping to get a room so we could get some sleep, but no rooms were available. No problem... checked bags, left phone number and headed out for some coffee, bagels and a walk around town. Around 12:30 after not hearing from the hotel, we went back to check on a room.

My wife went up to ask and stated she was tired and was hoping to have a room. No dice... But the woman at the front desk decided it was a good time to lecture my wife that she had no right to be tired as the receptionist had been up for a while and she was also tired. We were too tired to get into it with her and we still wanted an early check-in so we kept out mouths shut about the inappropriate behavior. While it was our choice to work and then take a red eye, I DO NOT expect a hotel of this stature to lecture any guest who is nicely asking for a room or nicely asking for anything for that matter. We left again and were called at 2:30p for our room.

Positives: Room was fine, bathroom nice, location great.

Negatives: Hallways are noisy, elevator makes loud noise every time it opens on the floor. Overall staff are 20 years old and unprofessional with a few exceptions. There is normally no one at the front door and felt anyone could walk into the elevator and up onto the floors.

We are pretty laid back people and it takes a lot to get us riled. We go to NYC regularly and will not be staying here again. For the money you pay, the service should be significantly better.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Before anything else, just book this hotel, you won't go wrong!!

The location is perfect. I can't think of anyone who would take issue with the location, whatever the purpose of their trip to NYC. The centre of everything but on a safe, quiet side street in the best part of Manhattan. The doormen and front staff are very friendly and helpful. The lobby is tastefully decorated and has a nice space with a bar on the right as you walk in, good to chill out there.

I was getting married last minute, I only booked the hotel the day before my arrival, so I gave the hotel a phone call before I arrived to ask if there was any chance of a nice room. I was expecting a higher floor to ensure a good view at best, but would not have been surprised with nothing at all with the timing. However, I arrived at the front desk and Dennis already had my booking and was expecting me, knew I was getting married and gave me the key after a nice welcome chat. When I walked in upstairs I realized we had been given a huge suite with a view of the Chrysler. What a thoughtful touch, I was delighted and couldn't wait for my fiancé to arrive to experience the place.

Decor in halls and then in the suite was fantastic, such a spacious feeling and so pleasantly arranged. I loved the walk-in closet! If you were on business there is good space to setup a makeshift office/desk. Wifi was very quick, we used it a fair bit. Coffee maker, good choice of food and drinks. Bed comfy, no noise from lobby or other rooms or anything to disturb above/below. Good selection of items in the room service menu.

Good nail salons, eateries, a juice bar, clothes stores all within a couple of blocks too.

Overall my husband and I had the best time, we cannot wait to go back here to this wonderful hotel with great staff. THANK YOU Dennis (front desk) and Tuscany for helping to make our unplanned wedding so memorable for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: Higher floors for the views, book a suite if you can - you won't regret it.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have now stayed twice at the Tuscany and I would definitely stay there again. It is on a quiet, safe-looking street just 3 short blocks from Grand Central Station and all of the subway lines that run through there. I have a hard time with a lot of city noise, and there really was none in our room! We even had a view of the Chrysler Building from our window. The hotel is very modern (recently redone) and the rooms are big by NY standards. Staff was friendly and helpful, and held our bags for us on the day of checkout, since our flight wasn't until evening. The bathrooms were very clean and modern and the beds were comfortable. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is that this is not a "5-star" property with a lot of amenities, but then the very reasonable price reflects that. It does have a business center and free wifi.

We didn't eat at the hotel, but they have several casual dining options. There are several places along the walk to the subway grab to breakfast, or you can get something quick in GCS. The location is just perfect, being a short walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, and a subway ride away from everything else. A perfect home base for visiting New York.

Room Tip: A room on a high floor on the front of the hotel will have a view of the Chrysler Building.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had a Studio: large room with queen bed, huge bathroom/shower and huge closet (probably was apartment at some point). Recently upgraded with modern look and appliances. VERY comfortable in every way. Walk to Grand Central Station; restaurants within steps; Walk to Bryant Park and Times Square. Friendly staff - will provide umbrella if it's raining. No room service but cute cafe in lobby for breakfast that morphs into a bar for late afternoon/evening cocktails. Located close to mid-town tunnel that links Manhattan to Queens so it was a short(ish) ride by cab from LGA. Also hotel is a short 3 block walk from an airport shuttle (42nd and Lexington) that runs q 30 mins to LGA and JFK - trip to LGA cost us only $13 each on our return trip. Would definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Tuscany - A St Giles Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!