“Why the darkness?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tuscany - A St Giles Luxury Hotel

You added The Tuscany - A St Giles Luxury Hotel to your Saves list
The Tuscany - A St Giles Luxury Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #62 of 458 Hotels in New York City
miami beach
“Why the darkness?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

THE GOOD: The hotel's staff was very efficient and nice in handling our reception to the hotel. The room was big. The ammenities in the room were very good (they were from Philosophy!), The shower head is of the kind that emulates rain showers, so bring your own shower cap.
The hotel is well located.

THE BAD: The hotel's lobby is gloomy. the decor seemed gray and black (the key word here is "seemed" because I could not tell it was so dark!). I even stumbled into the glass door on my way out of the hotel one morning. The guard was nice asking me if I was O.K. I was, I just couldn't see in the darkness.

The room was also dark. One lamp didn't work. When I turned on all the lamps available, I still had a hard time finding my things in the room. All the darkness made me feel like I was sick or something. I really don't get the concept of darkness is hip. Maybe it is to make you feel like you're staying in a nice night club? I really don't know. Darkness is not practical when you're traveling on business.

The continental breakfast is ridiculously priced. You're better off going to a Bagel Express a half block away, and get yourself a real breakfast.

The hotel is a bit noisy. You can hear traffic and also the people walking in the hall way. So bring a couple of ear plugs along, just in case.

However, I do recommend this place and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We were looking for a clean, quiet, pleasant room for a weekend overnight, and the St. Giles fit the bill nicely. The rooms were clean and large for NYC, the residential neighborhood was within walking distance of Broadway, Grand Central Station and Penn Station. We were next to the elevator and were concerned about noise, but heard nothing, probably because of the long entrance hallway inside the room, which also gave the room an apartment like feel. There was no doorman or bellhop, which was fine because we only had an overnight bag. An initial issue with our booking was quickly resolved when the hotel called us and emailed us the next day to make sure it got straightened out. The bed was comfortable, but may be a bit soft for some people. All in all, we felt the St. Giles was an excellent value and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

What I cannot understand is why no one is mentioning the terrible bathrooms? Yes the rooms are big but so was the Marriott when I stayed there for the Marathon. We did feel like we were staying in a suite which was nice but with poor lighting it is hard to make the best of the room. For example putting on make up. Near impossible unless you don't mind your make up resting on the toilet seat or in the sink. The grouting was shamefully dirty, the bath cracked and the sink terrible. We were going to ask to move but a sneak at another room proved to be the same.

I agree with a previous comment on the lift, take ear plugs like we did or be prepared to ask to be moved.

The staff were nice enough but it is fustrating to be treated sub standard as we are in our late twenties so similar aged staff think we dont care but that could not be further from the truth. The receptionist had a 'i'd rather be on a modelling audition then work attitude' to his credit they fixed the heater when the grate fell in, but for the price of the room, what you are really paying for in the space.

The concierge was superb and an asset, as was the doorman when we left, but next time we'll know to stay somewhere more expensive and get treated like the adults we are.

Room Tip: The rooms are big so if you dont mind the issue with the bathroom you will be happy with any of the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Really nice hotel, large rooms, almost like a small apartment. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. This hotel is close to many major attractions, as well as Grand Central Station and The Port Authority bus terminal. 10 minuite walk from hotel to Times Square, Central Park about 20 minuite walk. Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Saint John, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Loved the location. However the many other short comings of this establishment make it not worth the money to stay. We took our son to NY over the past weekend for his 11th birthday. I booked this hotel using travelocity (of which I have used numerous times in the past without incident). We had been delayed leaving our home airport due to weather and arrived about 10p at the hotel. The receptionist at the desk was very sweet and friendly. We were given our room and off we went. Here is where the real fun began. We were placed in a room right next to the elevator that must have been the original when the city of NY was built. A little oil on the pulleys and cables could have afforded us some quiet. But to no avail upon walking into our room we were given a single bed for 3 people. So I called the front desk and the operator told me that the front desk does not take calls this late at night. Excuse me I said, we just left the desk minutes ago and explained my problem. She did not care and told me again that the desk does not take calls. So down to the front desk we went again only to be told by that sweet lady that since we booked with travelocity we were only allowed to have a single and not a double room. All the double rooms were booked for the entire weekend and there was nothing she could do. So we asked for additional linens as there are none in the room. There was an extended chair that fit my son and so he chose to sleep there. It was another 45 minutes before our requested linens arrived to the room.

Let me explain the hotel. Excellent location by far, 2 blocks from Grand Central Station and 8 blocks from Times Square, 20 minutes from the airport. Loved that aspect. The building on the outside is well kept. Upon entering you walk through a small hall/bar with glass doors on everything and nothing to distort the glass from a clear path. My son walked into the glass doors twice in the lobby area during the trip. Then immediately you must take 3 stairs to the actually lobby, sitting area, reception desk. There is one customer elevator and one staff elevator. The halls are dark and the elevator is dark too. The ride in the elevator proved fun with all the squeaking from the moving parts. The floor we were on was just as dark with red and black carpet, red walls and black room doors. There was a small 20 watt bulb every 10 feet to assist in lighting the dark halls that had no windows. Once in your room, you are greeted with a burst of heat. The room temp control only kicked on when it needed to cool the room as opposed to heat the room. Bathroom to the right and a 20 foot hallway in front of you to your sleeping area, again no light and dark with dark walls and carpet. Once in the sleeping part of the room you have but 3 lamps again with 20 watt bulbs that by far could only illuminate the nearest 3 feet surrounding the bulb itself. An old velvet sofa chair for my son and one bed for my husband and I. Two pillows, one sheet, one blanket is all you have. (This is where we needed extra linens for my son and the chair he would call his bed.) We did not entertain their menu but did get some take out and brought it to the room. No microwave for leftovers that may have been needed for reheating and no room in a small fridge for 2 cans of soda. I'm thankful my son likes his soda warm.

Sorry St Giles you failed my expectations miserably. Being from Chicago I expected more from a presumed 4 star hotel and believe me when the description talks about classic style and original looks the hotel has--one should run as fast as they can as this is code for "our stuff is old and original." Nothing new, nothing nice, nothing updated.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Sandnes, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

The location is great. Rooms are spacious and clean. it's furnished minimalistic. but has what you need. Very little noise from the street.
The building is old and you can see this some places in the room. Friendly staff. Would not recommend breakfast at the hotelbar.

Zürich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel has the right position,, very nice staff and a nice lobby. Rooms can be very different, I had a wonderful cornerroom to the backyard, quite, specious, felt like a suite. I also was low down, which is good as there are only two lifts for a large number of rooms. The breakfast is a weak point, but there ae plenty of good places near by, so not much to worry about. Morning paper most people would prefere sometthing better. So it is not 5 points, but it is close, I will return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Tuscany - A St Giles Luxury Hotel? Share your experiences!