“Enjoyable Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

You added 70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Park Avenue, at 38th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #238 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The first impression of the hotel definitely met my boutique expectations. The staff was friendly. I was traveling for a conference. The wine hour was great for meeting up with other attendees. Each concierge made great dinner suggestions and helped with reservation for dining prior to broadway show. the location was great if you didn't want to on top of Time Square but close enough to walk. It was close to Grand Central. I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Orinda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have stayed here on business before and recently returned for a two-night stay. The staff are among the most friendly I have encountered. Unfortunately, the restaurant is currently closed, and there is no room service. The front desk gave me a variety of restaurants from which to choose, who deliver late night. That helped, but I did miss room service. The rooms here are clean and well-appointed, very quiet and spacious enough. Rooms on the higher floors are definitely quieter.

Room Tip: Above the 7th floor is quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My daughter and I had a five night stay at the 70 Park Avenue Hotel at the end of August 2013. On arrival at the hotel we were welcomed by very friendly staff. Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived but we waited in the lovely foyer of the hotel. It was smaller than I had imagined but very nicely decorated with coffee and water available.
The room we were allocated was no 1410 on the 14th floor. The room was gorgeous, the decor very stylish and the view from the room was lovely. We had advised the hotel before we arrived that we were both celebrating special birthdays, my daughter her 21st and mine a number I don’t want to think about!! In the room on arrival were balloons and a selection of delicious mini cup cakes with 4 free drinks vouchers each to use in the hotel bar.
The wine hour at 5.00pm each evening is a lovely idea. We managed this most days at around 5.50 and were able to take the drinks to our room to enjoy whilst chilling out after a long day sight seeing.
We had breakfast included in our deal and this was lovely. There was coffee and juice and a nice selection of pastries. We had bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese which was delicious.
On our last day we handed our postcards in at the desk and they very kindly posted these for us.
This was our first visit to NYC and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was nice to return to the hotel after a busy day knowing the room was clean and comfortable. We had no problem sleeping, there was no noise from the traffic outside and the air conditioning was great as it was extremely hot when we were there.
We would recommend this hotel for its central location, helpful staff and very nice good sized room.

Room Tip: Room 1410 on the 14th floor was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I checked into this hotel at 10.30pm Sunday evening. The restaurant was closed (to be expected at that hour) but there was no room service. The receptionist steered me to the inn across the street who said they served food late. They don't on Sunday or Monday. So after a long flight I end up having to take a cab uptown to get a snack. It's not what you expect from a 4 star hotel.

Anyhow that aside, it's an old building that has been tarted up but it's scrappy around the edges.

They have odd spiky metal spheres above the headboard, which are disconcerting. Terrible design and a potential hazard if one came loose.

I also had extensive banging from building work in the room above. Wouldn't stay again though i have liked other Kimpton properties.

Room Tip: Select the back of the hotel which is away from the main road
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greensboro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time staying at this hotel. I arrived around 8:30am and they were able to get me into a room right away which was nice since I had an early morning flight. You're close to grand central station which is why I stayed here. The front desk was very nice and accommodating. I also enjoyed the complimentary coffee and lemons water in the lobby.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. The location was perfect, my room, (though small), was great and the staff was very nice. As a Kimpton In Touch member, the wi-fi was free and exceptionally fast for a hotel.

One of the elevators wasn't working but it didn't seem to matter. Also, there was no restaurant, (but there were plenty within easy walking distance).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is a good choice if you want to be in a quiet part of midtown. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to Grand Central Station if that is useful. For us that was key since we were in town for the US Open.

Like all Kimpton hotels 70 Park really excels at customer service. They are fun and upbeat and have a can-do attitude about anything. The concierge that I worked with (Kevin and Christian?) were super helpful in suggesting restaurants that met our criteria and were superb at listening. Super polite and just delightful. Thank you both, you are the best.

We were on the 15th floor with a room that looked onto Park Avenue. Never heard anything! The room was small, but not as tight as other hotels. There was room for two arm chairs by the window and two nice bedside tables. The decor was dark, but nice.

There are nice touches for summer travel. A stack of free New York Times in the lobby, plus an entire stack of just the sports section. What a perfect bonus for US Open travelers! Lemon and orange ice water right by the door. And even two bikes to borrow if you are courageous and want to try your hand at biking in the city.

Now the not-so-positive comments: I love Kimpton hotels and have stayed in many. I was really surprised by the maintenance at this hotel. It just wasn't up to the other Kimptons I know. The common spaces did not have the same luxe, beautifully decorated feel to it. In our room, the mattress was overly worn (especially on the side) and the shower fixture actually fell off the wall while I was using it. I think the manager needs to actually lie on all the beds and use the showers/bath once in awhile to see the state that these very important features are in. Finally, I was surprised by the attire worn by the desk staff...In Chicago the Kimpton staff look impeccably dressed--super professional. But here they wear polo shirts. And, I don't mean fancy or spiffy-looking polo shirts...I mean floppy, worn polo shirts. This was so unprofessional looking and gives the hotel a Holiday Inn Express look.

Overall, I was really pleased by the location of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff. But I admit that it did not feel very upscale or very special. We got a very good deal on the hotel due to a promotion, so for the price I am giving it 4 stars. However, if I paid the rack rate for this room it would have only deserved only a 3 star rating.

Transport comments: Cab ride to LGA is about $34 plus tip. Subway fare to Flushing Meadows US Open site is $2.50. You can use one Metrocard for multiple people if you like. Load up the card with the fare you need and just pass the card back to the next person in your party as you go thru the turnstile.

Room Tip: I ask for room that looks out onto the street and not the interior because I like light.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to 70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!