The hotel we've been with for the past 35 years on our annual pilgrimage to NYC for the US Open is being converted to condos. Thank goodness we found our new favorite hotel at 70 Park Avenue. There are scores of compliments we could pay this wonderful Kimpton boutique hotel, but here are some of them in no particular order:
1. They're not crazy expensive.
2. They're in a safe area with a Starbucks, casual restaurants, and bodegas within a 2-minute walk.
3. Grand Central Station is a 4-minute walk.
4. They're immaculately clean.
5. The decor is modern and upscale.
6. The staff is warm, helpful, friendly and competent. Any reasonable request (and even some unreasonable ones) are met with a smile and a "can do" attitude. From the door man to the bellman to the front desk to housekeeping to the engineer, everybody here works as hard as they can to make you happy.
7. The in-room hair blowdryers are topnotch (I'm very particular about my blowdryers).
8. The bedding is exquisite, like sleeping on a cloud.
9. There is free in-room WiFi if you join Kimpton's InTouch Awards Program (which is also free).
10. They have a well-equipped work-out room.
11. Free coffee and a variety of newspapers are provided in the lobby every morning.
12. Every evening between 5p - 6p, they host a free wine party in the lobby, offering both reds and whites (the choices change daily). You can even go back for seconds.
13. There is an extremely helpful, knowledgeable concierge.
14. They have small in-room refrigerators that are available upon request free of charge.
Our family had four King Deluxe rooms at 70 Park Avenue for five days, with two toddlers in tow. The rooms were somewhat small with not a lot of closet/drawer space, but this is NYC after all, and it was certainly adequate. There was also a little street noise but, again, this is NYC. There is no room service which might be important to some guests -- we never use room service so we couldn't care less. They don't have roll-away beds but they do have cribs/pack-n-plays for tiny ones. We brought sleeping mats and sleeping bags for our toddlers.
What we do care about is the kindness and professionalism of every member of the staff, and the superior upkeep of this property. Efrain, Julio, Maria, Leidy, just to name a few, are examples of what a hotel should offer. The diversity in staff means they can speak to nearly anyone in their mother tongue, a boon to foreign travelers (of which there were many during our stay -- I got to practice my French, Spanish and German during the wine parties).
There are so many good things to say about 70 Park Avenue that certainly I've overlooked a number of them. We can't wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in midtown Manhattan, 70 park avenue hotel is a luxurious urban hideaway where guests "live life well." Ideal for business and leisure travelers alike, this intimate boutique hotel offers gracious personalized service in stylish surroundings. This Kimpton Hotel is convenient to Grand Central Station, Fifth Avenue shopping, Rockefeller Center, Broadway, museums and nightlife, and the adjacent silverleaf tavern draws a lively, cosmopolitan crowd. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Amex, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your 70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton New York City
- 70 Park Avenue Hotel