“How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

You added 70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Park Avenue, at 38th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early And Save
Ranked #247 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saline, MI
“How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel we've been with for the past 35 years on our annual pilgrimage to NYC for the US Open is being converted to condos. Thank goodness we found our new favorite hotel at 70 Park Avenue. There are scores of compliments we could pay this wonderful Kimpton boutique hotel, but here are some of them in no particular order:

1. They're not crazy expensive.
2. They're in a safe area with a Starbucks, casual restaurants, and bodegas within a 2-minute walk.
3. Grand Central Station is a 4-minute walk.
4. They're immaculately clean.
5. The decor is modern and upscale.
6. The staff is warm, helpful, friendly and competent. Any reasonable request (and even some unreasonable ones) are met with a smile and a "can do" attitude. From the door man to the bellman to the front desk to housekeeping to the engineer, everybody here works as hard as they can to make you happy.
7. The in-room hair blowdryers are topnotch (I'm very particular about my blowdryers).
8. The bedding is exquisite, like sleeping on a cloud.
9. There is free in-room WiFi if you join Kimpton's InTouch Awards Program (which is also free).
10. They have a well-equipped work-out room.
11. Free coffee and a variety of newspapers are provided in the lobby every morning.
12. Every evening between 5p - 6p, they host a free wine party in the lobby, offering both reds and whites (the choices change daily). You can even go back for seconds.
13. There is an extremely helpful, knowledgeable concierge.
14. They have small in-room refrigerators that are available upon request free of charge.

Our family had four King Deluxe rooms at 70 Park Avenue for five days, with two toddlers in tow. The rooms were somewhat small with not a lot of closet/drawer space, but this is NYC after all, and it was certainly adequate. There was also a little street noise but, again, this is NYC. There is no room service which might be important to some guests -- we never use room service so we couldn't care less. They don't have roll-away beds but they do have cribs/pack-n-plays for tiny ones. We brought sleeping mats and sleeping bags for our toddlers.

What we do care about is the kindness and professionalism of every member of the staff, and the superior upkeep of this property. Efrain, Julio, Maria, Leidy, just to name a few, are examples of what a hotel should offer. The diversity in staff means they can speak to nearly anyone in their mother tongue, a boon to foreign travelers (of which there were many during our stay -- I got to practice my French, Spanish and German during the wine parties).

There are so many good things to say about 70 Park Avenue that certainly I've overlooked a number of them. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I checked in only a few hours ago and just discovered they don't offer room service (and the internet is painfully slow -- more like dial-up). BUT, the service is excellent. I wish all hotels had the same "can do, happy to help" attitude found at Kimpton properties, but the lack of room service may compel me to find another place to stay mid-visit. And the room? Yes, you can actually walk around the bed, into the bathroom -- unlike many other NYC hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Braine-Le-Chateau, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We got a double double deluxe room on the 15th floor and it was so quiet and well appointed with everything you need and if it is not in the room or bathroom you can just call reception and they will bring it to you. Every request was met with a smile and a YES. Great beds, amazing shower. They even provided an umbrella! Delicious sangria, white and red wine offered during wine hour every day. Delicious coffee every mornning. Perfection on Park Avenue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a birthday discount I needed to use through my Kimpton InTouch account and decided to spend it here for the weekend. My friends and I had a great time in the space. The lobby was welcoming with areas to relax and read and fruit infused water and tea to help beat the summer heat. Also loved the "photobooth" at the front desk when we were checking in.

Although a little small the rooms were nice and I enjoyed the decor and how comfortable the beds were. Also the location made it pretty walkable and it was easy to catch a cab and get anywhere with ease.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend as a hub to see the US Open. It is a 2 minute walk to Grand Central Station where I easily caught the 7 train to Queen's. Also, very handy for my shuttle bus to LGA airport.

Other than the location, I enjoyed the hotel. The hotel has a modern feel and has all of the right amenities. There is even a free wine hour every night. I also had pleasant experiences with all of the employees I encountered (doorman, concierge, front desk, and housekeeping).

I also appreciated not having to pay for Wifi. I just had to sign up for Kimpton rewards.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

One of the most comfiest beds I have ever experienced. Get a room not facing the front/Park Avenue or side on 38th street as the trafiic noise (hooting of taxi horns) starts early and finnishes late! Round the back over the courtyard are much better and they still have the comfy beds.

Brilliant location, walking distance of the Empire State Building and other attractions. Easy to get back to the comfy bed.

Really let down by mis-management of the breakfast during refurbishment. They closed early, unbeknown to the front desk and with people having a shorter window to have breakfast in a smaller area and so struggled to cope with seating people who clearly didn't want to wait for their beakfast (probably regretted leaving their comfy bed to wait in a queue).

Refurb needed elsewhere as parts were looking tired. Beds were comfy though (might have already mentioned this).

Room Tip: At therear over the courtyard for quieter rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is my first trip advisor review, and I only do this because I wanted to say how wonderful 70 Park Avenue hotel really is!
On arrival, we were welcomed by the two lovely girls on reception. They were efficient and friendly, which after a long journey is all we really wanted. Unfortunately, while my friends room was ready, we were informed that our room was not quite ready. Not a problem to us, we were told to take a seat in reception. Less than 5 minutes later, the manager came to see us to apologise and told us that our room was now ready and he would get the bell-boy to take our cases to the room. This was a nice touch to me, especially as the five minute wait was really not a problem.
Now for the room. I read on here about people thinking certain parts of the hotel were "tired". I didn't see that at all. Our queen bed room was a perfect size for a couple and all of our (my) shopping bags, with all the facilities you would need for a city break...and decorated very nicely too in my opinion. Although not cavernous, it was not cramped and compares in size with other hotels we have stayed in of similar quality in New York & London. Other reviews on here may want to remember that they are staying in the city that never sleeps, so get out there and enjoy it!The only complaint I heard from my partner was that he would have liked a larger chest of drawers, but the air conditioning unit was a welcome alternative to storage space in the August heat!
Wine hour was another nice touch. I am not a wine expert, but I like a glass of white, and both this and the Sangria was perfectly nice... I am informed the red was nice too! Plenty of people were enjoying it alongside us, so I am not sure where the negative reviews of the wine are coming from.... we may have had a sommelier in our company!
I would recommend anyone staying at 70 Park Avenue to use the concierge services.... out of this world. Not only did Kevin find us the most wonderful "prohibition" bar for us to try, but they also managed to work out that I was celebrating my 30th birthday while there, and the free cupcakes from "Baked by Melissa" around the corner was a wonderful surprise, along with free drinks in the Silverleaf tavern (also highly recommended).
Sadly, I cannot comment on the spa or gym facilities..... too much fun was to be had in Manhattan!
In summary, I cannot recommend this hotel enough, and will be sure to seek out Kimpton hotels for future reservations. Keep up the good work x

Room Tip: As with everywhere in Manhattan, the higher floors will give you a better view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to 70 park avenue hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!