“Bad choice” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Carter

You added Hotel Carter to your Saves list
Hotel Carter
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 West 43rd Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #372 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Bad choice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Hotel was very bad no service not clean room bad atmosphere there is no care of the stuff also there clothes not clean really it my last time to be in this hotel thanks for god I left this hotel without any aller

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

If you are looking for a bargain just steps away from the theater district and Times Square this could be for you. Just be forewarned of the condition. We knew pretty much what to expect and it was exactly as we expected. Think budget European Backpacker Pension, prepare yourself and you’ll be just fine. What I did have trouble reconciling was the shameless inattention to even the most basic of touches that could improve the premises dramatically. For the marginal cost of applying a coat of paint in the room and bathroom, the whole atmosphere would change. Other items difficult to overlook were: no blankets (unless you ask for them), obscenely dirty windows (there is a charming old-town view), highly questionable hygiene of the bathroom, inadequate lighting, and safety concerning the windows (a single wobbly screw jammed in the window pane “preventing” it from opening more than eight inches). I will definitely stay here again because we can spend more on shows! It is just a little disappointing knowing that with just a small effort and minimal investment, the owners could turn this into a sensational nostalgic experience. It seems clean and safe, but the lack of care and attention present poorly.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I read a lot of reviews about this hotel and I was so scared and was trying to cancel it. But im on a tight budget so I have to gamble my stay and I already booked it and no time to look for another one. Well, when me and my friend came back from Canada late at night, we were greeted with the guy from reception and his very nice , polite and helpful in every way. So we went to our room. Was old and tiny bug clean . So it doesn't bother us. Anyway what we stay for is because it's close to everything. And we're not staying in the hotel all day but we're always out and just come back during sleeping time at night. So for me it was average for the price I pay. And I'm happy.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Miami, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Don't let this hotel's amazing location blind you! We stayed here literally to crash the night on a very impromptu trip and the price was unbeatable for a Times Square hotel. I guess maybe I've seen too much law and order, but we felt like there was a murder going on downstairs because of all the noises and screaming, plus the radiator was making the craziest banging noise and the rats crawling around must have been the size of small raccoons. I didn't even use the restroom. Went to the breakfast place across the street because it was so gross! After we got back, a few months later this hotel was featured in top 10 worst hotels in America! Seriously, staying at a hostel in Ukraine might have been less scary!!!

• Stayed January 2014
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For a hotel in Midtown, this is an incredibly cheap price. Which means you should lower your expectations of the rooms a bit. But it's New York - you won't spend much time in the hotel anyway. And though not particularly nice, the rooms are fine. It's a very old hotel and it shows. And there are no frills at all. But everything works and things are relatively clean. The location is amazing. I slept fine because I use earplugs - but it's essentially right in Times Square, so it might be a bit noisy for light sleepers. Basically, anywhere else in the world, I would not consider this a particularly nice hotel. But for that price, in that location, it's a great deal.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was a great deal. If you’re looking for luxury, this is not it. But I got such a great price on this hotel in such a great location that I was really happy. I was a little nervous after reading some reviews but I was pleasantly surprised that it was a big bed, the room was clean and we had no issues. We tried to check in early but we were told to come back at 3 pm which is what we expected anyway so we were fine with that. The service was good and we were checked in right at three when we came back. It’s basically right around the corner from the subway station and about ½ block away from the Times Square area so you can find whatever you need. We could hear some noise from traffic but we turned the fan on and that helped a lot. Sure this place could use some updating but for the price and location, we were pretty happy.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We pay only for the location. Very close from the Times Square (2min), Broadway theaters (nexo street) and the Subway stations.
The rooms doesn't have a frigobar or a microwaves to prepare a quick meal ( they don't have breakfast), you have to pay for internet.

• Stayed November 2014

Been to Hotel Carter? Share your experiences!