“Prime Location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Carter

You added Hotel Carter to your Saves list
Hotel Carter
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   250 West 43rd Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #375 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Davao City, Philippines
“Prime Location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Before the business trip happened in Toronto, my work colleague mentioned that she wanted to visit NYC. I was also sched to go there to be with my sister and closefriend from college who will fly from Alberta, CN.

We were looking for a hotel to stay. We even browsed on Apartments to save money. One owner of the apartment mentioned that New York Marathon was upcoming so we might have slim chances of getting one.

My colleague told me she will be the one to book for us while I was busy looking a place for me, my sis and my friend.

Few days of hardwork, I ran into Hotel Carter through a booking site. Of all, Hotel Carter has the cheapest rate with great location in Timesquare. Afraid to lose the chance of getting the room because of the prestigious Marathon, we booked it immediately.

After few hours, my colleague told me she booked at Hotel Carter too. Luckily, its the same hotel I will be staying for 10days. First 3 days with my colleague then the preceeding days will be with my sis and closefriend.

Upon arrival, we were a bit disappointed because we need to carry our heavy luggage using the stairs, the front desk is located at the second floor without the convenience of elevator. But oh well, I was thinking the hotel is affordable and its in the prime location... So I must take it as okay or else I will be disappointed for the rest of my stay which I don't like to happen.

The hotel is old and simple. The front desk who attended us was good. The elevator to our room is not huge to accomodate many guests but its okay.

Our room is okay. The floor carpet is way too old. The wash room is clean but of course since the building is old, everything in there is old too. The closet was old too.

The airconditioned and heater was perfectly functioning.

On our second day, four of my colleague's friends from the Philippines who works as apprentice in New Jersey came to stay for a night to join our Liberty cruise the next day. The hotel manager named Erwin is a Filipino allowed them to stay overnight in our room for free p. Bravo! He was really nice and considerate.

On my fourth day, I transferred to another room with my sis and closefriend. I find the room better than the first one.

There is a mini store at the ground level where you can sip a coffee before heading out in a cold day. They also served doughnuts and other affordable breakfast stuff to kick the day.

By the way, leaving your luggage after checking out is not free. You have to pay three dollars per luggage.

And its sad because WIFI is not free. I can't decide to pay either because I only have short time staying in the hotel because there are lots of things to do outside. For us to stay connected, we frequent McDonalds... Eat breakfast, coffee break sometime to enjoy their fast wifi for free. That was our awesome solution and I did it for almost 10 days.

When you want to stay in a very nice hotel, this hotel is not for you. But if you want a prime location with a reasonable price this hotel is for you. I just love it there, go out for a short walk then it's Timesquare, the shops, the lights, the bars and the people.

I would say, I will stay there again in the future if the price is still right...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Carter. I was glad to read that your stay was pleasant and met your needs without breaking the budget! Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Curitiba, PR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Carter is the hotel in the right place at one of the cheapest rates, if not the cheapest.
However, the whole building screams for maintenance.
The room I stayed was hard to stay (to be nice with words). The paint on the walls is falling, there's mildew at some places, the bathroom misses some tiles and the tub was stained. The cleaning ladies come every other day and they just clean the areas they can see, so expect to find some old trash under the beds or tables.
I don't recommend staying here, unless you don't mind staying at a crappy place just to save money on lodging.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, get one of the rooms with the view for the street, so you can get some fres...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to describe your recent experience at Hotel Carter. I apologize that the accommodations were not up to standard. Thank you again
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Carter on 11/16 and overall walked away thinking it was good value for money based on location. It was clean, comfortable, safe, affordable and close to Times Square which is what I was looking for. The only thing I'd recommend to management is to put a sign on the freight elevator for half asleep customers that haven't had their coffee yet and wandered the wrong way down the hall - I may know someone in that category. :) It was a good cheap option in the heart of NYC but anyone staying there needs to temper expectations given the price.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Gilboa, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stay at Hotel Carter at 250 W. 43rd St. in NYC on your next trip to the Big Apple and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

We took a chance on booking this hotel as we did not have much money to spend on a hotel. And let's face it, when you're in NYC you're only staying in the hotel to sleep and take a shower. You want to spend your money on good food and great entertainment.

We were extremely satisfied with this hotel. We were initially shown a very small room but we were staying for five days and knew we wouldn't make it in this room. We asked for a larger, newly renovated room and we were shown a large, clean, comfortable room with a great bathroom and a great view. Very comfortable bed. Not the most up to date furnishings but wide screen TV and window air conditioner in case you suffer from hot flashes like I do. The hotel was an older one so the walls were thick and it was very quiet even though the hotel was very busy. Powerful showers and a cute cafe right next door which was very convenient for breakfast or a late night snack. Could not beat it. Excellent location for restaurants, subway and Duane Reade. Ask for a renovated room as they are slowly renovating all their rooms. Front desk was wonderful for all our needs and suggestions for what was in the area. Thank you Hotel Carter for giving us a good night's sleep after running ourselves ragged doing all there is to do in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room high above street noise. We were on the 19th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words, particularly about the Hotel Carter Team. We take great pride in our people and feel strongly they are, hands down, our biggest asset. Rest assured your words will be shared with them. We look forward to welcoming you back
Kuwait City, Kuwait
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel has a superb location,,,but that's about it. Creepy room and outdated stuff all over. Just 200mts. away from the vibrant Times Square. Surrounded by tourists all over and nice restaurants, pizza places, Duane Reade, clothing stores are all within walking distance. I paid $:175/- a night which was pricey considering others get it for $:125/- but then again this is NYC,,,so prices are based to what u get at the time of booking. I did my booking online Aug'13 1st. week. No free Wi-Fi which I thought come on,,,isn't this NYC,,,but cheap hotel so cheap traits. You pay for everything,,,and that chinky reception girl needs a shake up if you need to get her to smile. Everything is available just outside the hotel,,,so just use the hotel for your base to keep your bags and head out sight-seeing in this wonderful city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Your kind comments are most welcome. We are indeed working hard on enhancements to our property - and we look forward to wowing you next time you honor us with a visit. Kind regards,
Orkanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Hotel close to Times Square, renovated not long time ago. Both backpackers and family people there. Not a luxury place, but cheap compared to most of the hotels, and an all right place to stay. Will stay there next time I'll visit N.Y.C!
We were staying there in june 2012, not in 2013,( impossible to coose 2012 below)

Room Tip: We had to change room because something was leaking in the bathroom. They gave us a new room at once...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Carter in February on the coldest day of the year.

Let's look at the positives:

1. It's located in Times Square surrounded by nice restaurants, the subway, cheap pizza places, 24 Duane Reade, McDonalds, a few musuems, clothing stores, Sanrio and other fun places.

2. Hotel Carter is cheap. I was able to book my room on the same week that I was traveling. I got the room for $125 a night.

3. The hotel is really quite and I got a decent nights sleep.

4. My rooms was clean.

5. A walk in closet.

The negatives

1. No hot water. Not even warm water. I had plenty of cold water, more than enough again on the coldest day of the year. I could not get warm by taking a shower.

I'm not sure if I got a crappy room because I had a toddler. Maybe they thought my daughter would make noise so they put us in the last room on the floor.

2. The TV would be normal for 1 to 4 minutes and then VERY VERY LOUD FOR THE NEXT 2 MINUTES. The remote did not turn it up or down at all. It had one setting. soft/LOUD

3. Since we were located in the very last room on the floor we decided to take the elevator that was right next to the room. Turns out that was a service elevator that let us off on a floor that was under construction. The floor was a plaster dust pile. I'm not complaining about the construction because I couldn't hear it at all. I'm complaining about the lack of signage that didn't inform us about the service elevator and warm us not to take it.

4. The store attached to the hotel is really high priced.

5. Rooms were cleaned but towels were not added. On the second day of stay I don't feel that I need to ask for more towels. Towels also smelled of bleach.

6. Wifi cost $10 to access. Wifi could be added to the room cost. It doesn't have to be a separate fee.

7. Heat worked but could have been warmer. There really wasn't a temperature setting.

8. The bathroom was drafty.

For the price spent would I go back to Hotel Carter? If I couldn't afford anything better yes I would. The location is great. To be objective maybe the lack of hot water and lack of being able to control room temperature was do to the construction that was going on floors below the floor that I was staying on.

This hotel felt and acted more like a motel. Prepare yourself for the very basics.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, November 13, 2013

Been to Hotel Carter? Share your experiences!