“Better than People Magazine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

You added The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 East 76th Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #143 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Danbury, Connecticut
“Better than People Magazine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

My husband and I decided to stay at the Carlyle and endulge in a luxurious weekend on the Upper East side. We met up with some friends that live near the hotel and my girlfriend and I decided to browse and shop at the fashionable and excellent Madison Avenue boutiques and dined at Nello's on Madison Avenue. We returned to the hotel and to our amazement in the lobby there stood Warren Beatty, Annette Benning and their children chating with Jack Nicholsen. In all my years of traveling have I ever come across that level of celebrity in a hotel all in one place. The Carlyle is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, the premier room that we booked is more like a suite in a home, rather than a hotel. I got one of the best nights sleep as the bed engulfs you with beautiful linens and comfort. I have to find out who they use as a florist, as the lobby and restaurant had the most breathtaking floral arrangements that I've ever seen. The lobby in the evening takes on a mystical and magical feeling with the soft lighting on the flowers, oil paintings and beautiful chandeliers. Before we went out for dinner we decided to have a drink at Bemelmans bar - I wish our children was with us as I've been reading Madeline books to our little girl and she would have been very excited to see the drawings on the wall of Madelines journies through Central Park and her adventures with her schoolmates. The next time we book a weekend in New York we will be sure to bring back our children so that we can enlighten them on the museums and culture that this property surrounds you with. The Carlyle will definitely be my only choice when booking New York City as the entire weekend was hassle free and we got the best pampering ever. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go anywhere else
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Turkish first
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2006

What a great hotel! What a great experience! I have always heard the "legend of the Carlyle" but did not expend to fall under it's spell while I was there. I travel ALOT so I have seen it all! The lobby was beautiful! I arrived at night and there were candles lit. It looked so beautiful against the black marble, with the crystal chandelier and the silver theme throughout! I was stunned! The front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. Knowing I had a long trip and must be tired and hungry they offered to have room service sent up. Telling the kind staff that I was just too tired they asked if i needed a wake up call, or perhaps coffee sent up at a particular time in the morning! Oh wouldn't that be perfect! I admit I have become addicted to my programable coffee maker! Visiting how tired I am at this point, they quckly checked me in and explained the hotel's key points, and rang for a bellman! RANG! An actual bell! How, I want to say quaint, but that sounds negative, it was just pleasantly unique! The bellman (whom I learned later in my stay has worked there for decades!) escorted me up and shared a few more stories about the hotels history, he got me all situated in my room and wished me a sound sleep! The whole process from the doorman with umbrella to shield me from the wrath of mother nature to there luxurious linens in front of the flat screen plasma TV wil about 2000 channels, took about a cool 5 minutes! That was it! I have fallen under their spell!

The dream continued through the rest of the stay!

My wakeup call in the morning with a friendly voice telling me of the days weather, and my coffee quickly followed. Thank god! As I thought about the days ahead I stopped at the concierge for suggestions. We talked about some shows and restaurants that would be great. I went to the marvelous breakfast buffet (try the cheeses!) and the staff again was mighty attentive! I went to walk in central park, i could not believe it was right there! On my out, the concierge had seen me and mentioned that the tickets and restaurant reservations were all set!

Everything just fell into place. That is until the night before I was checking out. I realized I had forgotten all my chargers. My cell phone was already dead and my IPOD was hanging on for dear life! I called the front desk to see if perchance one of the staff had my same phone and happened to bring their charger along to work. I was in luck! They have a varied supply! Now to solve the IPOD issue. My biggest nightmare, and 8 hours of a airtime, borken up only by a four hour layover, with no tunes!!! Then as I'm about to hang up the phone I give it a shot and ask the agent on the phone if they have a charger. The voice on the other end mentions that there is an IPOD docking station in the room. REALY? Then I see that on the other side of the giant bed (which I need to get me one for home, its heaven!) there IS a docking station on the end table! So I hooked up my NANO, hit play and listend to the tunes while I solemly packed for my departure from this haven in the city!

I miss the Carlyle, the staff and FOOD already! I was there for such a short time, but I felt as if I have been going there my entire life. By the time I left, the staff recognized my by name and wished me a "safe journey!"

I can not wait to HAVE to go back to NY. Because I will HAVE to stay at the Carlyle again!

See you soon, CARLYLE!!! (Boy am I long winded!!)

• Liked — The Staff!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely eat each meal at least once in the restaurant. And don't miss the bar!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

My In Laws visited the city for the weekend from Venezuela and were thrilled by the staff and personal service at The Carlyle.
They said it felt like home and were able to get a copy of their Venezuelan newspaper every morning. The bartenders knew their drinks and the elevator operators knew their floor after a few hours.

New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

My wife and I have had the pleasure of staying at The Carlyle an average of once a year for the past 14 years. I write regarding our most recent stay, in May, 2006, but my comments also relate, generally, to the entirety of our visits.

The Carlyle is about continuity. It is about service, and graciousness. It is not trendy. It does not have a flashy lobby or public spaces. With The Carlyle you get the same bell staff, the same elevator operators, the same doormen and the same room service attendants, year in and year out. You get a warm smile that you reasonably can believe is meant for you.

The service at The Carlyle is exemplary. I can’t think of a request that has not been honored, and I can’t think of a case where housekeeping service did other than a terrific job. Room service is on time and bell staff prompt.

We have always stayed in inside suites (the Standard and Superior category of one bedroom suites). That means a view towards Park Avenue (beware, the very low floor inside suites just look into the adjoining buildings). It also means quiet – no street noise, no noise from adjoining rooms. The suites are well-appointed, with a nice size living room (with a desk, a comfortable couch and two comfortable easy chairs). The bedrooms have always had a easy chair, with a reading light. The linens and bedding are of first quality. I’m picky about hotel lighting, and The Carlyle always passes the test – every seating area is well-lit enough for reading. The furnishings are in classic good taste.

The HVAC units (the suites have separate controls for the bedroom and the living room) are efficient and quiet.

The suites usually have a full bath and one half bath. The full bath is small. I understand that plans are afoot to convert some of the walk-in closets (some of the suites have two) into bathroom space. Until then, don’t expect much space in the bathrooms.

Breakfasts at The Carlyle are adequate. The buffet is not extensive – although what is there is well prepared. I’ve always had good service at breakfast (although until Rosewood took over management, I’m not sure that some of the head waiters at breakfast had smiled in some time). If breakfast is included in your room rate, eat at the hotel. If it isn’t, I’d eat breakfast somewhere else.

The Carlyle’s rack rates are high. I have almost always been able to obtain, through one affiliation or another, a price break on those rates.

I’m already booked for a return visit to The Carlyle. It’s home for me in New York.

• Liked — The service.
  • Disliked — Bathroom size
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a high floor room.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

We had a wonderful weekend at the Carlyle. We stayed in a 1 bdrm suite which was well appointed and quite spacious by NYC standards. It had 1.5 bathrooms which was very convenient for us as we had our 9 month old with us. The rooms had beautiful fresh flowers in both the living room and bedroom.The bathroom was small but nice. The concierge was WONDERFUL and fullfilled all our requests which included booking difficult-to-get dinner reservations (Per Se, Grammercy Tavern and Babbo), babysitting services and even printing our boarding passes.
We ordered room service one morning and the eggs benedict and brioche french toast were delicious. We had one drink in the bar which had a nice ambiance and an interesting drink menu.
This hotel isn't cheap but it is worth the slurge.

Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

While the Carlyle has a beautiful lobby, cafe and reputation, the quality of its rooms and service are not worthy of a luxury hotel in New York.

I stayed in one of the Carlyle's Superior Rooms which was certainly not worth the expense. The room had peeling paint, a dirty radiator, an outlet the didn't work, exposed wires, and a cheap 27 inch TV. The room was absolutley tiny making it uncomfortable for two people. In short, you feel like you are staying at an old two star hotel.

I would recommend visiting the Cafe' which has made the Carlyle famous and stay at a real luxury hotel the next time you are in New York.

Stayed January 2006
key west
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

Our initial visit to the Carlyle was, while enjoyable, a bit of a dissapointment as our room was in bad repair. (peeling paint in the bath, etc.). The service was commendable, and when the management found out about our dissatisfaction, they immediately made things right for us, and went above and beyond on a subsequent stay. Lots of celeb sightings, if you like that sort of thing, we prefer to leave them alone. Excellent service, from housekeeping, to wait staff, and the ever-pleasant elevator men. Highly recommended for old-world charm and ambience.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel? Share your experiences!