“Excellent as always.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

You added The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 East 76th Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #178 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Excellent as always.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is our tenth or so semi annual trip to NYC and we have tried other hotels, but the Carlyle is a consistently gracious place to live for a week at a time, while also being a good value. Hotel management attempts to maintain a classic residential "feel", while making guests feel unique and pampered.

Room Tip: Request a room away from construction "zones" or HVAC systems.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your continued support of The Carlyle over the years. It is always a pleasure having you with us and I look forward to welcoming you both back on your next semi-annual trip to New York City.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Just another wonderful stay at this beautiful nyc landmark with outstanding service. We were upgraded to a larger suite with a grand piano which my husband loved playing! The breakfast buffet in the gorgeous dining room was delicious and we loved having drinks at Bemelmans listening to the incomparable Chris Gillespie.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us again on your recent trip to New York. It is always a pleasure! I’m thrilled that your husband enjoyed the piano in the suite. Did you know that all of the pianos in our guest accommodations were at one point played by Bobby Short?

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to your New York home-away-from-home.

Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Our recent stay at this grand hotel lived up to , if not exceeded our expectations. Our superior king room was beautifully decorated, spacious, and surprisingly quiet. We slept in twice during our stay due to the peace and quiet in this oasis of calm, in the heart of the upper east side. Walking distance to exceptional dining, Central Park, and great shopping, but there is a car service if you want to wander a bit further afield. Thanks to Lori in Bemelmans bar, and Waldo the concierge who made our stay even more enjoyable with their wonderfully personal service. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I was beyond thrilled to learn that we not only lived up to your expectations but also exceeded them. I shared your comments with both Lori and Waldo, as well. Thank you for taking the time to recognize them both.

It was a pleasure having you with us, and I speak for the entire staff when I say; we look forward to welcoming you back to The Carlyle in the not so distant future.

Tuckahoe, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I came here after purchasing a TravelZoo dinner voucher. Typically, when purchasing one of these types of vouchers, I have gotten used to the restaurant short changing me on the amount that they offered. That did NOT happen here. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of choices I had for Appetizer, Entree, & Dessert. The wait staff was extremely courteous and I appreciated their making small talk with us and other tables (it showed they had personality). I ordered the Crab Cake and Lobster Thermidor. All I can say is WOW! The crab meat was so extraordinarily fresh, and the sauce that accompanied it was delectable. However, the Lobster dish transported me back to when I was a child and Thermidor was my absolute favorite dish to have at a local restaurant (that has since closed). I truly appreciate the dining experience here and look forward to coming again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for dining with us this past April. I am in complete agreement with you regarding our Crab Cake and Lobster Thermidor. I immediately shared your comments with our restaurant and kitchen staff, and they were just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I've been to many hotels in New York. But this is the best.

Discreet, stylish and elegant. It's obvious to see why this hotel is favoured by celebrities.

The meticulous attention to detail is astounding. From the welcoming chocolates and champagne to celebrate our anniversary, to our beautiful room, we were treated like royalty.

But the best thing about the Carlyle is the people who work there. All its staff are wonderful. But its concierge is the best I have experienced at any hotel. Waldo and Dwight, take a bow.

One bad thing about our stay is knowing that every other hotel I'll go to in the future, won't match the standards of the Carlyle.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Your kind comments have left me at a loss for words. Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of service and hospitality. Therefore, I take great pride in sharing your comments with them, especially with our concierge.

Thank you for your support and I can only hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the not so distant future.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel is outdated, dirty carpets,motel furnishings,unattentive staff,rooms smell old and musty,dirty curtains,creaky floor boards,furniture look like they came from thrift stores headboard was very dirty and i took a picture,tiny bathrooms .Waited in the bar for a drink 20minutes,waiter forgot what we ordered came back after 20min.This is not a 5 star hotel,Hardly ever a doorman in attendance.Unless you shell out $800 and up in a Tower room, it is a dump,compared to the Pierre for the same price room were we usually stay,do not recommend

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I can only hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and disappointments you experienced during your stay from the overall condition of your accommodation to the slow and forgetful service you received at the bar. It is simply inexcusable and I have reviewed your comments with our team who are addressing the issues.

We would be honored to speak with you more in-depth regarding your stay. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at (212) 570-7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

(212) 570-7187
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and i spent a night last week in New York and returned to the Carlyle after a twenty-year hiatus. We were very happy that we did so. The staff was warm and welcoming and its small size make it a very comfortable home-away-from home. The public spaces are beautiful as always, but our room showed its age and our bathroom was tiny. We will definitely not wait twenty more years to come back.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a suite which was helpful as we had children stop by for a visit.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
From our family to yours, I would like to welcome you back to The Carlyle! It was a pleasure having you with us and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.