“Fantastic Dinner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

You added The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 East 76th Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #152 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Tuckahoe, New York
“Fantastic Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I came here after purchasing a TravelZoo dinner voucher. Typically, when purchasing one of these types of vouchers, I have gotten used to the restaurant short changing me on the amount that they offered. That did NOT happen here. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of choices I had for Appetizer, Entree, & Dessert. The wait staff was extremely courteous and I appreciated their making small talk with us and other tables (it showed they had personality). I ordered the Crab Cake and Lobster Thermidor. All I can say is WOW! The crab meat was so extraordinarily fresh, and the sauce that accompanied it was delectable. However, the Lobster dish transported me back to when I was a child and Thermidor was my absolute favorite dish to have at a local restaurant (that has since closed). I truly appreciate the dining experience here and look forward to coming again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Thank you for dining with us this past April. I am in complete agreement with you regarding our Crab Cake and Lobster Thermidor. I immediately shared your comments with our restaurant and kitchen staff, and they were just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I've been to many hotels in New York. But this is the best.

Discreet, stylish and elegant. It's obvious to see why this hotel is favoured by celebrities.

The meticulous attention to detail is astounding. From the welcoming chocolates and champagne to celebrate our anniversary, to our beautiful room, we were treated like royalty.

But the best thing about the Carlyle is the people who work there. All its staff are wonderful. But its concierge is the best I have experienced at any hotel. Waldo and Dwight, take a bow.

One bad thing about our stay is knowing that every other hotel I'll go to in the future, won't match the standards of the Carlyle.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Your kind comments have left me at a loss for words. Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of service and hospitality. Therefore, I take great pride in sharing your comments with them, especially with our concierge.

Thank you for your support and I can only hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the not so distant future.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel is outdated, dirty carpets,motel furnishings,unattentive staff,rooms smell old and musty,dirty curtains,creaky floor boards,furniture look like they came from thrift stores headboard was very dirty and i took a picture,tiny bathrooms .Waited in the bar for a drink 20minutes,waiter forgot what we ordered came back after 20min.This is not a 5 star hotel,Hardly ever a doorman in attendance.Unless you shell out $800 and up in a Tower room, it is a dump,compared to the Pierre for the same price room were we usually stay,do not recommend

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I can only hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and disappointments you experienced during your stay from the overall condition of your accommodation to the slow and forgetful service you received at the bar. It is simply inexcusable and I have reviewed your comments with our team who are addressing the issues.

We would be honored to speak with you more in-depth regarding your stay. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at (212) 570-7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

(212) 570-7187
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and i spent a night last week in New York and returned to the Carlyle after a twenty-year hiatus. We were very happy that we did so. The staff was warm and welcoming and its small size make it a very comfortable home-away-from home. The public spaces are beautiful as always, but our room showed its age and our bathroom was tiny. We will definitely not wait twenty more years to come back.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a suite which was helpful as we had children stop by for a visit.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
From our family to yours, I would like to welcome you back to The Carlyle! It was a pleasure having you with us and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and daughter are staying at The Carlyle this week in anticipation of my 17 year old daughter participating in some professional theatre training next week and moving to NYC next month to attend a dance conservatory. I wanted to make their arrival special, so I called The Carlyle's concierge asking if he could assist me in having chocolate covered strawberries (their favorite) delivered to their room, thinking that he could help me arrange a delivery from a nearby confectioner. The concierge, instead, suggested that their room sevice department could possibly do what I wanted and connected me with Kimberly (I wish I had asked for her last name so I could write my thanks to her directly) in the Room Service Department. KImberly said that she thought the pastry chef would be able to do what I wanted. She was so patient with me, took my dictation for a note that I wanted to accompany the berries, and even advised me that she would ask the pastry chef to try to create a "ballet theme" to the strawberries...

Well, Kimberly and the pastry chef outdid themselves!!! My daughter immediately emailed a photo (and, of course, posted it on social media) of an incredibly creative and delectable presentation of a dozen assorted chocolate covered strawberries set against a chocolate sillouetted backdrop of a ballet dancer. I have posted the photo here. The creation was a big hit with my wife and daughter and on social media.

Thank you, Carlyle staff, for your time, thoughtfulness and creativity in making something so simply special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. Your comments have filled me immense pride and I have shared them with Kimberly as well. She was just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words knowing she helped make your wife and daughter’s stay with us memorable.

We wish your daughter all the best on her move to the Big Apple!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

For my first visit to New York City is was hard to make a decision on a hotel. After reviewing all the Hotel ratings and comments I settled on The Carlyle Hotel. I was excited about the visit and was all set to go. Once I arrived I was greeted and the staff was right on top of things. They were interested in our visit and gave us details on what to expect. One expectation that they set was that the Dining area was being services and would not be accessible during the weekend. They did make us aware that room service was available and the Bar would be open. We were now off to start our New York City visit for this special wedding anniversary - "which a mentioned to the staff once I arrived." Off to our room which was UPGRADED by the Management staff just because. As we started to make plans for a quick lunch... we started out of our room. As we made it to the elevator we ran into room service with a 'cart'. Me noticing my last name on the card, I stopped him and said is that for our room. He stated YES!...what a surprise from MR. BEAR and the staff at the Carlyle. 5 Large Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Chocolate Cake and a bottle of champagne. Thanks Bear and the Carlyle staff for a great visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I speak for the entire staff when I say thank you for staying with us during such a special time, like your wedding anniversary. We are honored that we could be part of it and we look forward to back in the not so distant future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The AC was not working so at 2am on our delayed arrival we got a suite on the 31 floor with views over Central Park back to Australia
We went back to our dog box suite the next day
The position is great , the bathrooms are tiny and we won't go back
The teacups were not replaced till we asked
Even has lift car operators
Had a spa treatment and they put on a tip and charge a fortune for phone calls
Also did not follow up a rebooking request POOR form

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am always filled with disappointment when I hear about the lack of service that someone, like yourself, has received. It is simply inexcusable and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies. We constantly strive to provide guests with exceptional service and I deeply regret that we were not able to uphold that goal on this occasion.

If you would like to discuss the issue further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at +212 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

+1 212 570 7187