“Superb service, couldn't be better ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 East 76th Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now
Ranked #132 of 452 hotels in New York City
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Superb service, couldn't be better ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

After escaping from a bad home away rental we found ourselves at the Carlyle for a wonderful birthday and anniversary week in March. The Carlyle is an old-fashioned hotel in many ways, perhaps best exemplified by the small elevators with gracious, formally uniformed operators. But our room was lovely and the level of attentive service from all of the hotel staff was consistently spectacular.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for staying with us back in March. I’m happy we were able to play a part during your wonderful anniversary and birthday week. I have shared your kind comments to our entire staff. I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Everything about this hotel is 5 star . The check in experience , concierge , breakfast , flower arrangements and bar. Large traditionally furnished bedroom, quiet and very comfortable, bathroom and amenities were first class.
Beautifully prepared fresh fruit and the only good scrambled egg from a buffet that I've ever had ! You can order a la carte too.
The bar has atmosphere and live music . This is an elegant hotel about 15 blocks north of Central Park South and very close to the park itself and the Metropolitan and Frick Galleries.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of quality, service and hospitality and I therefore, take great pride in sharing your very kind comments with them. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The Carlyle is perfectly described in the other reviews... beautiful, discreet, quiet, peaceful and elegant. I recently returned from a 4 night stay with my two children, ages 10 and 12.

We had just spent a week in London (Athenaeum Hotel) and the differences were interesting. The Athenaeum had wonderful, inexpensive touches for the children... an afternoon delivery of cookies and milk, a concierge to suggest child appropriate activities, etc. I am definitely not looking for child-pandering and my children are quite comfortable in an adult environment, however, a Carlyle-initiated touch of fun would have added to their visit. I was also troubled that an addition of a cot to my room would cost an extra $75 per night. Given the room rate, this seemed like a bit of a nuisance charge.

The hotel was an amazing treat for me, however, my children were ambivalent. I wish that they would have loved it as they loved the hotel in London.

Room Tip: We had a superior room on the 9th floor (Room 914). It was spacious (probably about 500 sf), had a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
I would like to sincerely thank you for your feedback regarding the need for the hotel to address our smaller guests, as well as the rollaway fee. It is greatly appreciated.

I can only hope that we will see you again on your next visit to the city.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Without taking up two pages, I will make this short and sweet.
We have stayed at The Carlyle many times and have had a marvelous and frequently exceptional experiences.

This time it was more than we could have imagined. We took our granddaughter on her first trip with us to NYC. I asked the hotel to fuss her up a little. And boy did they deliver. Sweets and gifts at check in, sweets at check out and during the stay, the entire staff made our grandaughter feel as if she was the only one in the hotel, she befriended Stephanie at the front desk. The sincere kind conversations with her not only gave her a fabulous experience but will reinforce her desire to travel more. This is something you cannot buy and for that we thank the entire Carlyle staff.

There are many nice places to stay in NYC, but there are many things that separate The Carlyle from the rest. It is a quiet hotel, almost no off the street traffic, Quality, elegant decor. And MOST of all sincere friendly staff, not the over the top twelve thank yous., They just do everything they can do to make your stay an experiance.

The Carlyle is the hotel that we compare all other hotels. (None have reached so high)

With thousands and thousands of touches by the hotel on a daily bases, sure we have had a hiccup or two, but they have never failed to repair, replace or make better some how. And with such superior service, these hiccup are very minor.

If you appreciate superior service You deserve to try The Carlyle.

Room Tip: For quiet room below the tenth food, ask for a courtyard view. (Very quiet) Ask for the Bran muffin...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
As I mentioned in my earlier correspondence with you, I am truly at a loss for words and do not know where to start in thanking you for your touching note. It is an honor having you, along with your amazing family, as one of our guests.

I speak for the entire staff at The Carlyle when I say; we look forward to welcoming you back to your New York “home away from home.”

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

The carlyle is one of New York's legendary hotels. From the countless list of celebrities who stay here to Bellman's bar, everything seemed magical. We were in a superior room on the tenth floor facing Madison. Could see the park which was a real treat. Although these rooms have not recently been renovated (front desk used the word refurbished) the room was lovely with original hardwood floors throughout. A very nice touch for NYC. The bathroom is on the small side and does not have a separate bath and shower (most 5 star NY hotels do), but that didn't take away from the fabulous jet tub that was provided. Very large with great water pressure. Bellman's bar was a real treat. The drinks are a little pricey but taste great and you get to listen to some of the jazz great perform live. WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LOVE?? I will for sure stay at the Carlyle again next time I am in the city. I normally stay at the Mark across the street, but in my opinion The Carlyle stands out in regards to its history, service and grace.

• Stayed March 2014
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. Your comments have filled me with immense pride.

Our goal is to ensure our guests’ visits are the most pleasant and memorable. I have shared your review with our different departments as I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your new “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Do you want to experience New York City without all the hustle bustle 24/7? The Carlyle Rosewood hotel is in a residential area (Madison and 76th) It is stunning. The filet mignon at the restaurant is the best I have ever had. The service is outstanding. If you love history, this place is steeping in it. Jackie O used to have an apt. here. Ask for a tower room with floor to ceiling windows and views of central park. Julia Carey, the national sales director, showed me all of the different room types. All amazing! This is your hotel in New York. Quiet, peaceful dreams here.

Room Tip: ask for the tower!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words. It filled me with immense pride to read your comments. It is great to know that someone has the same passion for this hotel as I do.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Once we divested ourselves of an apartment in NYC, it was the best to just stay at the Carlyle where everything is lovely & works! Love going to NYC for a few days; stay there; be nearby most things I need; stay in the most comfortable, place, with all the services one could want. Agree the restaurant is high priced and last time the quality of the food had gone very down hill, but not the prices. However, there are many restaurants nearby in every price range and all are good in one way or another. Love just being able to walk to most places. Staff is most accommodating; rooms are elegant, quiet, just a peaceful place in the middle of a very busy city. Best for me whenever NYC is on my agenda!
Gail

Room Tip: Stayed many times in a variety of rooms, suites, etc...never a problem with noise at any time. I am...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. Your comments have filled me immense pride.

Our goal is to provide exceptional and attentive service to ensure our guests’ visit is the most pleasant and memorable. I have shared your review with our different departments and they were just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming in the not so distant future.

Managing Director

Been to The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel? Share your experiences!