“A True New York Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

You added The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 East 76th Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #130 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Liberty Lake, Washington
“A True New York Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at The Carlyle for a week at the end of August during the U.S. Open. My stay was absoultely wonderful. The hotel offers a true New York experience. Everything makes you feel like you are a resident in a high end apartment, not the guest in a hotel. The staff remembers your name, your room location & your preference for breakfast. Add to that rooms that make you feel truly at home & you've got a great hotel. Yes, the furnishings in the rooms do seem somewhat old-fashioned. The rooms are, however, immaculately clean & quite tranquil. I've stayed at lots of hotels in New York over the years. Some have been cheap & some have been ultra high-end. Without a doubt, The Carlyle was the most wonderful experience I have ever had at a hotel in New York. I would strongly recommend The Carlyle.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
What can I say!

Such a pleasure to read you very kind review. Our team will be thrilled with your feedback..

Thank you for taking the time to write in.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My mother and I stayed here in March 2012 and had the most fabulous stay. Nothing was too much trouble, the staff were very helpful and friendly - greeting us by name in the lobby and at breakfast etc (I had the french toast which was delicious) I was afraid it was going to be "snooty" but it was nothing like that in the slightest. Our room had a lounge room, bedroom, kitchenette (which we didn't use) and bathroom. Yes the bathroom was on the small side but it didn't bother us in the slightest as it was partially expected staying in an older hotel. The room was clean, with beautiful furnishings.
Our most favorite thing to do after a big day walking through central park and lots of shopping was to sit in the bar and listen to the beautiful piano - great atmosphere and very attentive service (never had to remind which wine I was drinking and our table snacks never even got empty!) This alone is worth the stay - but certainly not the only great thing about this hotel.
Would stay again in a heartbeat if the budget allowed another trip and would recommend it to anyone wanting to experience something special in New York!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Carlyle and we are delighted that you had such a great visit. You certainly came a long way to see New York and so we are happy you enjoyed not only the hotel, but teh neighborhood shopping and our proximity to the park.

We will certainly share your experience with the team as they love to receive feedback from our guests.

London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I first stayed at the Carlyle in 1981 and have gone back 44 times since then. It goes from strength to strength. There is nothing to criticise about this hotel and the staff makes sure it stays that way. Great entertainment at the Cafe Carlyle. Great food in the restaurants. Excellent rooms and room service. The price is high but the experience is unsurpassed.

Room Tip: The room rates reflect the quality of the room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Adrian_Norbury, Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you so very much for your support of The Carlyle over the past 31 years. It has been an absolute pleasure having you with us.

I will pass along your comments to the team who I know will be delighted.

Sincerely yours,
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

After a wonderful 3 night stay at the Plaza, we did not have too many expectations of the Carlyle. Our free upgrade to a suite created much excitement! The room was spacious and the amenities in the bathroom was first class. The service and attention from the time we entered to the time we left was very impressive. The cherry on the top was when we mananged to secure a table, at the already sold out Cafe Carlyle, where Woody Allen and his Jazz band were playing - we walked out with stars in our eyes! The food was brilliant and the music sublime!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Adrian_Norbury, Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at The Carlyle and I am delighted to hear we beat your expectations.

I will pass on your comments to the team who I know will be delighted.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Admittedly, when my room was upgraded to a huge suite with a piano (!!!) in it, I was probably going to be impressed... The service was as it should be for a world-class hotel and the room (more of an apartment) was a wow kind of a room. And a word on the food and the bar - class - not quite over the top but close enough to feel pretty good about you choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Adrian_Norbury, Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and I'm glad you enjoyed the upgraded accomodation.

I will be certain to pass your comments on to the team.

Lynnwood, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have never been able to afford the price of the hotel rooms; however, I have been to Bemelmans Bar and it was just awesome. The pianist was great and the drinks were substantial. Worth going to to see the murals and to just be in the atmosphere of an upscale wonderful hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Adrian_Norbury, Public Relations Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I am so glad you enjoy your visits to Bemelmans. I also enjoy the atmosphere and cocktails with some great music.

I hope you are able to come and visit soon, and if you are in New York during the winter or summer, you'll find some great rates.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed overnight at the Carlyle last JUNE 2011 to watch Lea Salonga's New York in June at the Cafe Carlyle. We stayed at The Plaza the night before. Regrettably, it was a wrong decision to leave The Plaza for The Carlyle. For the same amount of money, The Plaza screams opulence in everything including SERVICE! I booked the Carlyle room through Oyster.com which came with free breakfast. On our check out day, I called front desk regarding the free breakfast. The lady denied that my accommodation did not come with the free breakfast. I informed her that it is contained in my email which she asked to have a copy of it. So, I went down to show her the said email which was in my iPhone. I was asked to forward the said email to a Carlyle email add. Then, I was asked to wait as she had to make calls first (most possibly to verify the veracity of the email in my inbox). She made me wait for almost an hour but still no action. I felt like we were beggars waiting for our rations in a corner. I felt humiliated deep inside knowing that I am not white and I could have been served better. My husband was telling me that we should just eat outside but I told the front desk lady that I wish not to wait any further and I will pay for our breakfast instead. We headed to the restaurant and we were seated by a staff and menus were handed to us. Then, the head waiter came to our table and told us that they could not accommodate our son because he was wearing shorts. I was completely aware of the dress code but overlooked his outfit. What was highly frustrating though was this young lady inside the restaurant was just wearing a very skimpy shorts and looking like a w____! Not only that, she was wearing flip-flops too but her Grandma is apparently a resident. I didn't say anything and so my son went back to our room and changed into pants. During check out, I was informed that my breakfast was already taken care of. She made it sound that it was a nice gesture from the hotel. Hah, as if that was a favor from them!

I should NOT HAVE WAITED for almost an hour for something that should have been accorded to me because I PAID (and pre-paid with Oyster) for it in the first place. And, Mr. Manager, even if you reply to this complaint, I am advocating others not to stay in this hotel. The damage has been done and you could not rectify it. I urge others to go The Plaza instead, join their club (Fairmont President's Club) for free and check out the members' benefits. Free wifi, free limo ride, free parking, too. (Yes, I did not get charged for it!) Or go
to any other hotels except The Carlyle.

• Stayed June 2012
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am so sorry you had a poor experience. You are correct we should not have had you wait around and I apologise.

Our goal is to have every guest enjoy a relaxing stay and I'm sorry yours was less than perfect. If you will give us another try, please contact me directly and I will happily take care of your reservation personally.

Kind regards

212 570 7126

Been to The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel? Share your experiences!