“No frills but clean and well positioned” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bedford Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Bedford Hotel to your Saves list
Bedford Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   118 East 40th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #338 of 459 Hotels in New York City
England
“No frills but clean and well positioned”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here over xmas and new year 2012. Room was cleaned and towels changed every day. Nice room with safe and cooker and fridge. The italian restarant underneath was nothing special but friendly. Diners and restaurants 200 yards away on lexington avenue. Ideally placed to head to time square and central park ect. A box of chocs was delivered free on our third day as a thank you for staying with them. No complaints...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

After returning from NYC from a three night trip from December 27-30, I was very pleased with my stay at the Bedford. I have been to NYC 15-20 times and generally look for 3 star budget choices in the mid-town area. I actually booked the Bedford in May based on a great rate and its location, but was a little worried about what I would experience when I showed up given a few critical reviews on this site. I was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is supurbly located on East 40th between Park and Lexington. You can literally walk to Grand Central Station in 3-5 minutes, if that. You can also walk directly to the Theatre District. There are a lot of convenient amenities nearby - a Starbucks on the corner, a Bagel Express around the corner, several easy diners nearby for breakfast or lunch, etc.

The hotel itself is pleasant and does not pretend to be anything but what it is - a solid 3 star hotel. The lobby is somewhat small but appeared well taken care of. I was quickly checked in upon arrival and a man took our bags up to our room. The room is perhaps the largest I have seen in my many trips to NYC - large. The king size bed was comfy and firm and had decent quality linens. The bathroom was clean and well equiped and had plenty of hot water. The furnishings were certainly dated but frankly I am not the kind of person who cares about that stuff - everything was functional. A real minus of the hotel, however, is the lack of any WIFI coverage. Our room facing 40th street did pick up some street noise at night but nothing that affected my sleep but light sleepers may want to keep this in mind.

Unlike any NYC hotel I have stayed in this hotel had a small kitchenette. We found the small frig helpful to stow cold drinks and snacks (yogurt, etc.). There was even a small collection of plates and silverware and the kitchenette even had two stove tops with a kettle and frying pan available. I did not use the latter but thought the set-up was somehow unique for any NYC hotel I have stayed in.

The hotel seems to cater to European and South American tour groups was my impression - as several large groups seemed to be staying at the hotel as we were.

Overall, I really like the Bedford and, if the price is right, will look to book the Bedford on my next trip to NYC. If you are a fussy high-maintainance traveller who expects the red carpet to be rolled out for you, concierage service, and people waiting on you - this is not your hotel. If you are looking for solid mid-town budget choice in NYC - this is one of best I have come across in my many trips to NYC.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here Dec 27-30, 2012, after finding it on Quickbook.com for a great rate for this time of year. It is incredibly located - 1 block from Grand Central and an easy walk to Bryant Park, Times Square and many of the midtown attractions. The room was huge by NYC standards with a nice sized window over 40th Street and includes a spacious bath and closet as well as a kitchenette with mini fridge, sink and two burner stovetop. The decor is a bit dated which can lead to a bit of a dingy feel, but we found everything to be very clean and well appointed. In addition the front desk and cleaning staff were very accommodating. Overall would recommend very highly and would definitely book again!

• Stayed December 2012
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We used the airport shuttle and were dropped off at the hotel door. It was ideally situated as long as you are reasonably fit. We could walk into Times Square in 10-15 minutes and it was not too far to walk up to Central Park. We had a deluxe studio room on the 16th floor. The beds were large and comfortable. There was a microwave so that we could warm any food up that we brought back. The lift was very efficient and we rarely had to wait for it. There was a diner less than 100m away that we used for breakfast on a couple of occasions, which was good and a bagel shop where we were able to buy our take away breakfast at very reasonable cost. The hotel was very busy when we arrived and the greeting was no more than cordial. However we would certainly stay at the hotel again if we returned to NY.

Spencer, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Bedford for a few days. My wife was in town on business and I came up a day later from Charlotte to spend out anniversary weekend in the city. We stayed in room 901 and it was clean and adequate. It had a large king bed, microwave, mini-fridge and in-room safe. The bathroom had a large shower/tub and the hot water was plentiful. Be careful not to scald yourself. The front desk staff was helpful. Overall, it was a no-frills hotel but was clean and adequate for our needs. It was within a close walk (5 mins or less) to Grand Central and within 15 mins to NYC's landmarks (Times Square, Madison Square Garden, 34th St., etc.)

Definitely give this hotel a try on your next trip if you are on a budget!

angus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at The Bedford for 5 nights, 1st to 5th December 2012. Our suite was extremely spacious, clean, warm and very comfortable with a super shower and constant hot water. The small kitchen area was ideal with fridge, microwave and coffee maker. We always found ALL the staff courteous , especially the friendly chap behind the reception desk. Looking at previous reviews, I can agree that the decor & ambience is a wee bit dated, but I think this adds at bit of American Colonial style! I would rather stay at somewhere like the Bedford, rather than a faceless chain hotel, or a hotel that offers you the world in their rooms.....this is New York!!!! Your hotel should be in a fab location, clean, warm, and somewhere to relax after a long exhiliriating day and plan the next exhiliterating day!!!! Location is paramount in NYC, and The Bedford fits the bill nicely. A visit to Grand Central Station foodmarket is a must!!

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed 05/12-10/12, party of four. We were in room 602 one bed suite. Day bed has dip in the middle but clean bedding and enough blankets. Was here in December 2010 and nothing has changed. Same dated furnishings and appliances. The great thing this hotel has going for it is it's location. Staff polite, no problems with charges etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bedford Hotel? Share your experiences!