“Always a Great Place to Stay in SoHo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY SoHo

Save Saved
You added SIXTY SoHo to your Saves list
SIXTY SoHo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #216 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Edina, Minnesota
“Always a Great Place to Stay in SoHo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I've stayed at the 60 Thompson several times over the last year and each time they more than met my expectations. The staff greets me every time I arrive with a "Hello, Mr. Dow...welcome back!", before I even have to tell them who I am. The hotel is always very clean, the staff always very friendly, and the service always top-notch. It's a great place for me to unwind after long work days at the office.

I wanted to mention one experience I had with the hotel that truly set them apart. It was St. Patrick's Day 2010. I had gotten to town a bit late and missed my chance to drop my bags and check in before heading out to a client dinner. After several drinks with our clients, I finally showed up to the hotel to check in around 11 p.m. When I arrived, they told me that they didn't have my room any longer, but had booked me a suite at the Bowery Hotel (another great joint) up the road and would be comping my stay both that night and the following back at 60 Thompson. Needless to say, I was floored, because frankly, it was my fault for not advising the hotel of my late arrival. Upon my return the following day to 60 Thompson, I was greeted by the manager, offered the Thompson Suite for my troubles. As if this wasn't enough, when I got to my room, I found a bottle of champagne and a hand-written note from the general manager apologizing for my troubles. (Yeah, some trouble!)

To show my thanks for their incredible service, I sent a note to the head of the hotel's customer service department, and copied the owner of the hotel, Jason Pomeranc. Within two hours, I'd heard back personally from both of them, expressing their gratitude for my loyalty and offering apology for the trouble.

Because of this level of service (and a pretty nice property, as well), I will never stay at another hotel in NYC again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
webster,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

this is a superb hotel in soho,great beds,clean,awesome staff!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

It started bad from the check-in. The person at the front desk was clearly new and took 3 times as long checking me in as it should have (there was no one else checking in.) When I asked him if, as this was my first time at the hotel, if an upgrade was "in my future" for the night, he laughed and said "no, maybe on your second visit". He then proceeded to put me in a room that was one floor above the bar. (More on this later). He then took forever to scan my ID and then gave me a room key that would not work in the elevator. When I brought it back down, a different clerk gave a key that worked.

Now, I booked the room thru Priceline and the confirmation clearly stated, "Queen deluxe...this room has a separate seating area". The separate seating area consisted of a designer chair with what amounted to a miniature TV tray next to it at the very corner of the queen bed. I guess they must have considered this combination to almost act as the work area as there was no other work surface in the room. When I noticed my remote control wasn't working, I informed the front desk on my way out for the evening and they said they would have it fixed when I got back.,

Fast forward and its now 11:30pm, I notice the bar disco is going at FULL volume and sure enough, when I get to my room, I am serenaded by the not so melodic super bass from the bar RIGHT BELOW MY ROOM. And, of course, the remote control still does not work. I call down to report this and again, get a very sweet "I'm sorry" and "I'll send someone right up". The night bellman diagnosed and fixed the problem immediately and I was now free to watch a little TV and go to sleep.

Not so fast! Somehow, the music below got even louder, so I called down to the front desk and asked if my future was to be awake all night. They gave me a very nice "I'm sorry" and offered to move me to a higher floor which I immediately accepted. When the bellman arrived with my new key I asked him how they could book a room right above a bar that plays LOUD music until 2am! He informed me that it is a common complaint and that the hotel DOES NOT OWN the bar and have no control over its operation. I find it unconscionable that a hotel as highly rated as this one would book people into a room with this kind of known condition.

The final touch to my experience was the wake-up call. I was leaving on a 5:45am flight the next morning and asked for a 3:30 wake-up call for a 4am car. (I even made it twice due to switching rooms). My eyes popped open at 3:40am with that panicked feeling we all know and love. Ten minutes later I receive a cheery call, "...good morning, this is your wake-up call...". When I inform the clerk that it was 20 minutes late I receive the well trained "I'm sorry" and then I hang up. I didn't even bother to check-out for fear of being further delayed, but if the manager is reading this, I hope they will have the decency of at the very least refunding the $10 wi-fi charge. Service recovery goes a long way.

I have learned in my 30 years of travel to never say never, but I can safely say it will be quite some time before the 60 Thompson sees me again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011 via mobile

While this hotel is in a very good location, I have never stayed in a noisier room in my entire life. There is a Salsa club on the 2nd floor with live music until 2am,and the rooms are on 3-11. Our room was on 4 and the walls were shaking from the base. Front desk told us there was another room on 6, but nothing higher. We tried the room on 6, but you could still hear the base through the walls. We ended up leaving the hotel at 1am and were not charged. I would not stay in this hotel below the 11th floor. Also, the have flat panel LG TV's that do not have HD pictures. Unless you like Salsa music at 2am on Sunday night I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011
Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We were given a room on the third floor but we were not told that we be directly above a very loud bar with a DJ that played until 2 AM. I had ear plugs sent up but the music was so loud that I was still not able to sleep. The music was so loud that I could hear the lyrics of the songs! The hotel staff did not mention at check-in that they were putting us in a room with noise issues. If they had I would have requested a room on a different floor because we were exhausted after our red-eye flight from San Francisco. The room itself was very basic and poorly designed-- not what I would have expected.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

One of our favorite holiday traditions is our week-end in NYC just before Christmas. We've stayed all over Manhattan, but particularly love staying in Soho because there is great shopping plus a whole lot more and it's away from the craziness of Mid-town.

From the moment we arrived EVERYONE we came in contact with at the hotel was friendly and helpful. We immediately relaxed and enjoyed every minute of our time there. I saw come comments about noise level, but I didn't find this to be the case at all. Love the restaurant and lounge. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

I travel to NYC quite a bit and always try to stay at a different hotel each time I go as I think hotels in NYC are very unique and each has something different to offer. With that said, my last experience at another hotel in SoHo was so bad I decided to return to 60 Thompson as I was very impressed the first time I stayed there, and likewise this time around.

Very nice staff, decent size rooms for NYC, Kiehl bath products (love!), gorgeous marble bathroom, etc. And I have had my share of fun in the bar off the lobby!

I will for sure be back yet again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!