“A Perfect hotel Stay at the 60 Thompson” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (SoHo)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #239 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“A Perfect hotel Stay at the 60 Thompson”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2006

My girlfiriend and I just got back from New York. The 60 Thompson was a great Hotel. The Neighborhood is a perfect getaway in the city of New York. The quiet street is also a plus. The room was small , however I am told that all New York Hotel rooms are small. The Room we got had no view which was a bummer, but it was very quiet. The staff was pretty friendly even in the hip bar/lounge on a Saturday night. The outside patio was closed for the winter(bummer). The Flatscreen TV was great, bed was comfy and cozy. All in all it was great Stay. I will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

This property has a serious heating problem. The room was so cold despite repeated compliants I eventually contracted a cold. Decor was bland, staff were unhelpful and the business centre consists of a laptop sitting on the front desk. We had a much better and much hipper experience at Gramercy Park Hotel which scores poorer on Tripadvisor. Will not be visiting 60 Thompson if Gramecy or any other hip hotel for that matter has room. One very disappointed customer.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

Meant to write this earlier. My stay at the 60 Thompson was for 3 nights early October. Checked in early so I had a room with no view. I agree with another review that said the plumbing was very noisy. It was heard throughout the night when people got in bed late.

The gym was small and cramped with a few machines and you stare at mirrors or the small tv screes. There are no disinfectant sprays but a water cooler is availaber.

The bar was great, delicious cocktails. Very mixed crowd on a Sunday night.

Most of the time the concierge was not there so the front desk took all the calls. I borrowed a international transformer from them, but it took them a long time to find someone available to bring it upstairs.

Other than that, it can be difficult to find a taxi during dinner hours with all the shoppers finishing their trip in Soho.

Stayed October 2006
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

checked in to a clueless front desk that didn't know how to even work the computer. They managed to work it out and got me to my room after a little confusion.

The room was actually great, I was a little concerned after reading reviews but it was a nice size and comfortable. It had a big flat screen tv and small couch in the corner. I was there for work and wished it had a better work area but the small table and chair did the trick. I called down to order room service and was told to call back later...? I did call back and ordered, food was great and there in 20 min. Like I said the hotel is good but the service is strange.

The Soho area is great for high end shopping but pretty quite during the day. I found a great coffee place just up the street and their is Pizza on the corner. The door men were not very helpfull with bags unless you were a 6 ft blond but they did give some good advice on where to eat etc. The conciere is a joke and not much help.

On check out the had the wrong rate and it took them 20 min to figure out how to make a change. They were confused again but I was not surprised.

as an extra note note my housekeeper each day was a fantastic romainian woman who said good morning every day, folded anything I left out and volenteered to take my shoes to get them shined. I would have hired her to take care of my house.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed there this past weekend. We arrived at the hotel a little early and was told the room wasn’t ready and to come back. We were ok with this; after all, we were early. So we did. We came back 30 minutes after the check in time and were told it still was not ready. They suggested we go to the restaurant and have something to eat. So we did- only to be told at the restaurant that they weren’t serving lunch anymore (Shouldn’t the person at the desk know that?). So we went and sat in the lobby. We thought it was odd that the staff was totally unmoved by the fact that our room wasn’t ready. They just acted like it was totally normal.

Our room was finally ready 45 minutes after the stated time, and we found it to be lackluster at best. The "Superior Room King bedroom" was very small- probably the smallest hotel room I've had. There was room for the bed and not much more.

The room was also stuffy and hot. The windows in our room did not open, and the air conditioner did not work either. It was unseasonably warm during our stay and it would have been lovely to have had the option of not sweating in the room.

The staff was not really interested in helping us- they really couldn’t have cared less about us. When the time came for us to leave, I called the front desk and asked for our car, which was parked in their valet lot (the only option for parking). About 15 minutes later we checked out. I went to the desk to pay the bill, while my boyfriend went to wait for the car.

There was no store in the hotel, but there was a number of deli's around (it is, after all, new york). We had purchased a few bottles of water and juice for our room in order to avoid paying thru the nose for juice/water that had probably been in the mini bar for 6 months. However, at checkout, I had to defend myself- they were insistent that we took something from the mini bar- but she was unable to tell me what that was. I just checked my charge card- and have a mystery charge on there from the hotel for $6.50. I'm sure I'll spend that and more in long distance fighting this petty charge. Very frustrating.

What was even more frustrating, however, was waiting an additional 45 minutes for the car. Despite calling and despite there being no one else waiting for a car- my boyfriend had to go back inside and ask again about the car. So- for some reason it’s at least an hour's wait for our car, which has me wondering where on earth did our car spend the night? Newark?

It’s a mediocre hotel at best, but the problems we encountered and their indifferent staff had will likely prevent us from staying there again. They just didn’t seem to have it together.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

Arrived to find the room with a bath and desk we'd booked wasn't available, but were told we'd get it next day (we were staying for a week). So we take the smaller room. Next day we're told we can change mid afternoon.

Mid afternoon comes and goes. I drop down to find out what's happening. I tell a woman at the desk who tells another woman, who goes 'whatever.' Now, she doesn't know I'm there, but still...

An hour later I'm shown to a room that's smaller than the one we've just left, smells damp, has a wet floor and joins to another room. Someone's playng rap next door.

I don't even bother to unpack.

When my partner returns (she's out and made the booking in her name), she drops down to talk to the desk. She gets a guy, he gets us a new room. Everything is fine, except 'whatever' doesn't even look at us for the rest of the week.

The new lobby bar looks good, though. Less of a scene going on...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — randomness of desk service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

60 Thompson is a lovely hotel. The sumptious yet minimalist decor was fab, the room really large for NY and very comfortable, with a huge bathroom filled with great goodies (all made by Fresh, a very indulgent range that I subsequently purchased to remind me of my stay!).

The Thom Bar is my favourite bar in the city, it is dark, moody, achingly trendy and totally decadent (and of course the prices reflect that), but it really gave us the flavour of being in the thick of the world's hippest city - fabulous!!

There are two downsides for me - the bathroom plumbing is horrendous and it sounded like someone banging a crow bar against our cystern, the other is purely personal. When I visit NY, a big part of my experience is to be woken by taxi horns and to fall out of your hotel in the morning and be surrounded by skyscrapers, none of which you will find at 60 Thompson. This, however, may be the very reason someone else may book this hotel as it's in the heart of one of NY's funkiest areas but is very quiet, especially at the weekend.

All in all though, would I stay again? You bet your life I would!!

• Liked — The hotel bar - fabulous!
  • Disliked — The banging plumbing in our bathroom!
  • Tips/Secrets — If you book far enough ahead, there are some excellent deals on quikbook.com
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!