“Lovely Winter Escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY SoHo

Save Saved
You added SIXTY SoHo to your Saves list
SIXTY SoHo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #210 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely Winter Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at 60 Thompson in Dec 08 for a pre-Christmas escape to New York. Everything about the hotel was fabulous! We flew in early morning and the reception kept track of our room and phoned us as soon as it was available even though is was only 10.30am. The room was well equipped, clean and very comfortable. The concierge really knew their stuff and were always only to happy to help out. The hotel isn't only in a great location but it is surrounded by cafes that serve fantastic coffee, tempting boutiques all with a great village feel. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I don't have a good track record of picking hotels in New York and so when this one was recommended to me by a colleague I thought I might as well give it a shot.

Overall, I was not disappointed.

Arrival impression was not great because at street level is the restaurant; reception is upstairs and I was not offered assistance with my luggage. Furthermore, both receptionists were on the phone when I arrived and so I waited longer than I would like to check in - which after 8 hours travelling is not welcome.

Room itself was clean and looked fairly recently updated, bed comfortable, decent bathroom. As with most NYC hotels, pretty small though.

I didn't have any noise issues (another common problem in NY).

Breakfast quite nice.

Wall Street is about a 25min walk away.

Certainly worth considering.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Luxury Hotels website sold us the idea that although the Hotel was away from other bar scenes, this hotel has two very popular cool bars to enjoy. When I checked in I was excited and could not wait to try their roof top and inside bar. On our first night we were very disappointed to learn that both bars were closed for PRIVATE EVENT so we decided to go somewhere else. On our second night we wanted to have a drink in the afternoon before getting ready for dinner and again the bars were closed til 9 pm. Well they lied after having dinner and looking forward to coming back to our hotel to enjoy the facilities, the inside bar was supposed to be closed for a PRIVATE EVENT until 12:30. We waited in the lobby until 1:30 am and they would not allow us in. I found it very insulting to be paying top dollar for a hotel whose premises are closed for other events. One of their employees told us that they frequently rent the bars to a local company that books events for them. In conclusion, the hotel was very nice but if the only available part of the hotel is my room, I rather go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
review7672
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

We used to stay here when the hotel first opened. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms were clean, but tired looking. Furniture has stains. Lobby had a strange gas smell. Restaurant was okay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I had actually stayed at 60 Thompson's sister hotel, 6 Columbus, in January... which proved so gloomy with such bad lighting that you almost needed a white stick to manoeuvre about your room. 60 Thompson is quite different... and a much better experience. I had a light-filled room on the 11th floor, which afforded a really great view over SoHo. The location is really excellent. It's so nice to slip straight out the door into such a vibrant neighbourhood. The staff were excellent. The doormen were extremely attentive and there was one woman on reception, who was particularly professional. The bar is cool and they serve nice cocktails, and the design of the room is very pleasing. On the negative side, the breakfasts are only so-so rather than excellent. The choice is pretty limited and the price a little steep. The other thing I found quite strange was the fact that there was not a desk in my room. I can not be the only traveller, who has work to do while I'm in New York. I mean, it is a city with business travellers... not a spa or a resort. So, I thought it was pretty weird that I had to sit uncomfortably with my computer on my bed. I inquired and was told that there were only desks in the suites. The other big problem I had during my stay was a very poor Internet connection. At times, I actually had to sit on the floor near the door just to get reception! I asked them if guests regularly experienced problems and they said "No". Given the pluses at 60 Thompson, I'd almost definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and return on my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
heyheyu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Spent the weekend with friends for my birthday. The visit started shaky when I was not able to present the manager with a Comp Voucher that I didn't realized I needed. Staff stayed calm, let me work through what I needed to do. And then in the end did what they needed to do to help me have a great weekend. Loved the friendliness of the staff. Roof top bar - gorgeous, Thom Bar lots of fun and Kittichai amazing! Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

After reviewing what seemed like hundreds of hotels for our NY trip, we decided upon 60 Thompson - and we're so glad we did. It must be one of the best in NY and I would definitely recommend it. All the staff couldn't do enough for us - the doormen were always friendly and concierge/reception staff also always helpful and friendly. We tipped the doormen/concierge/housekeeper when they helped us with things (~ $10 each time), but I believe this is the norm for NY, so it didn't seem strange.

I could rave on and on about this hotel, but it really is an amazing hotel in a really good area. I agree it is a typical hipster nouveau trendy hotel, and slightly (not "vastly") over-priced, but I think you get what you pay for and at 60 Thompson, attention to detail and customers was spot on throughout our week long stay, which means more to me than paying less for sub-standard service.

The rooftop bar is lovely - the perfect setting for a cocktail or two after a long day shopping, and the restaurant was also very good. I'm not a huge thai food fan, but it really was good.

The only niggle I had while I was there is the first room we were given was really noisy - direcly above the bar (which, incidentally is a lovely cozy, comfortable place), but we asked to be moved and no sooner had we asked, we were moved to a higher floor which had a larger, brighter room with a better view. I believe this may have been a superior room, but we weren't charged any more than originally quoted. Oh, a niggle of my husband's is the mosquito bites he received while sitting next to the trees in the bar at the front of the hotel, although this isn't really the hotel's problem.

If you are considering staying in this hotel, ignore any negative reviews and go for it - you won't be disappointed.

ps - we had no problems with the air con!
pps - really good restaurant Antique Garage around the corner on Mercer Street.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!